Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
B&J
Happy Campers

Cool Just picked up new CCD 28'

Hello everyone!

We just took delivery today of our new CCD 28' International. It is a real beauty. Currently we are tucked in for the night at the dealership. We have lots of instructions and manuals to read. Everything seems to be working great except I can't get the TV and stereo to work. The dealer did a great job with the prep and having it ready for us to test and play with. So far so good.

We asked the salesman if we could have mini blinds instead of the roller shades and he contacted the factory and they said they could do it for us. The blinds really look cool. They are aluminum colored and reflect color and light really well. Kudos to Toscano RV Center and Airstream.

I better keep this short since I still have about a foot of material to read through. We will keep you posted....night night.
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Congratulations

I'll bet you're too excited to sleep. Study, Study, Study - and be sure to practice everything once or twice so you're ready for your first trip.

Enjoy! Tin Lizzie
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 09:38 PM   #3
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Congrats on the new Airstream! Glad to hear you made your purchase from Toscanos.

Now let's see some photos ... after you have read the entire manual, of course.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Cool Congratulations on your new Airstream!

Wow, congrats on your new 28' CCD. Ours is under construction right now! Should come out of the factory sometime next week. We hope to be camped out at our dealer for our first overnight in about two weeks.

About your mini blinds, did they cost extra? Sounds like a neat idea.

ENJOY!
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:03 PM   #5
B&J
Happy Campers

Mini Blinds

There was no charge for this change. We were expecting to be charged....again Kudos to Airstream for granting our request. I think you are really going to fall in love with your CCD. Airstreams are pricey, but I guess it costs to get some quality. Good luck and rest up for the big day.
Judy and Bill
B&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 11:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Thumbs up Interior Color?

What interior color did you get?

We ordered the Blue Streak, and we also asked for blue accents in the overhead compartments.

As far as Airstreams being pricey, yeah maybe when compared to SOB's. But when you consider that they will outlast the competition by about 40 years, the price does seem to be out of line.
AIR 7185
Old 03-12-2005, 11:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Cool Congrats B&J

Congrats on your new 28' CCD. We took delivery one month ago on ours and have loved it! We've been out two weekends so far with it. Remember to turn on the TV on top behind the TV on the right hand side first....then use your remote. We've got a problem with the stove lighter.....the knob won't light the burners.....service dept has seen this before and should have a fix.
Since we're only 45 miles away and it's our second CCD within a year....we took it home. We had a problem with our Atwood furnace, and they have ordered a replacement part to supposedly fix the problem. The 28' is a big improvement in comfort over the 22' CCD we had before.

Send some pics when you get a chance!

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 02:28 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Congratulations on your beautiful new CCD, we got our Bambi 5 months ago and still haven't read through all those manuals so good luck! Love the idea of mini blinds with the CCD interior, please post a pic.

Have fun and enjoy!! We love our San Diego beaches (going tomorrow, please no rain!) and can't wait for summer....and some sunshine
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 06:55 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
B&J congrates on the new trailer. I imagine you really didn't get any sleep in it the first night.You being so close to our next Nor-Cal Rally, you really need to come and share it with us:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=15097
Hope to see you there! Jeff
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 09:34 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
B&J,

Best wishes with your new CCD. I'm interested in knowing more about the blinds that you're getting as a replacement for the roller shades. I'm thinking about the possibility of retrofitting my 22' CCD with something similar. Can you provide some photos and maybe some additional info.

Thanks,
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 01:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
San Jose , California
A huge congratulations!!! Glad to hear Toscano has another satisfied customer. Who was your salesman? Was it waiting for you under the canopy all shiny?

As Jeff said, please consider joining us at the NorCal Rally. You would be the center of attention. Hit'the'Road will be there with his new 2005 25' CCD. It will be fun.

I too look forward to seeing some pics. Have fun!

NorCal Fall Rally, Jackson Rancheria, October 7-9 2011 Click here for more info

Come rally with us.
Big Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 03:16 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Another Semi-local congrats!

Congratulations and welcome.. Toscano's does do a good job, and you should have a ball with new trailer... We replaced our salmon pink mini-blinds with off white, and they do a great job of light and temp control..

Since April Forum Rally is just down the road from Santa Rosa, we too hope to see you for part of weekend at Cassini Ranch/Russian River.

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 04:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Congrats

Hope you like your CCD28' as much as we do. Although we miss our '67 Tradewind, the CCD has been perfect for four of us & a big dog. I just got mine back from the dealer after having them repair the loud floor squeek between the dinette and the sink. I'd be interested if you have this as well. Also, the manual says to torque the lug bolts to 85lbs for the aluminum wheels yet the dealer told me AS sent a new directive to increase it to 95lbs. I emailed AS for clarification & will share it when I hear back. I'm thinking about shades as well & we did change out the curtains & reupholstered the couch. I had the dealer pack my bearings as well which was fortunate because we found a scored spindle & had to order new bearings.

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2005, 05:29 PM   #14
Rivet Master

You will be having lot's of fun with your new Airstream. Get to the Nor-Cal Rally for a start. So what kind of hitch did ya get. Oh I just love the smell of new Aluminum. Please show us some pictures. Please....please....please.....
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 04:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Just a quick note about one of the new Airstream models my wife and I looked at during the Florida rally. We observed a recessed white panel just inside the door of this particular model, complete with lights and a duplex receptacle. We puzzled over the purpose of that feature for about a half hour before finding out that it was a bulletin board to be used with liquid crayons, complete with provisions for charging cell phones and the like ! Since this was the new "bunkhouse" model - and based on many, many, years camping with children - we subsequently applauded Airstream for the concept! See - even us Senior citizens know a good thing when we see it - even if it takes an inordinate amout of time to figure it out!!!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 02:19 PM   #16

We just attended an RV show in our area and walked away sold on the CCD 28. But, since we will be new to "trailering" (stepping up from a GS 24' BTouring Cruiser), we'd really like to know what the favored towing vehicle is. We were steered toward a Ford 250 XL 3/4 ton, but as we look thru various RV sites with Airstream photos, we see many SUV's, vans, trucks, etc.
PoJo Buggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 03:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
Wink It's a Chevy for me!

What TV is a hot topic? Gas or Diesel? GM, Ford, or Dodge? There are owners of all on the forum. We chose the Chevrolet 2500HD Crewcab shortbed Duramax/Allison for our tow vehicle. Reasons, I like the comfort of the GM interiors, the Allison is the best tranny in a diesel pickup, and the Duramax has proven itself to be a very good engine.
AIR 7185
Old 03-19-2005, 04:40 PM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We have been van folks since the early 70's. I like the covered storage as such, great for hauling tall items. I'm partial to GM stuff having good luck with every GM tow vehicle I have ever used. Current TV is a 3/4 GMC Savana passenger van. 9,900 lb. tow capacity with a 6.0 liter V8 and 4.10 axle.

My day to day car is my Accord, but that's a whole 'nuther story.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 05:11 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Just picked up new CCD 28'

Greetings PoJo Buggy!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoJo Buggy
We just attended an RV show in our area and walked away sold on the CCD 28. But, since we will be new to "trailering" (stepping up from a GS 24' BTouring Cruiser), we'd really like to know what the favored towing vehicle is. We were steered toward a Ford 250 XL 3/4 ton, but as we look thru various RV sites with Airstream photos, we see many SUV's, vans, trucks, etc.
Everyone has his/her favorite tow vehicle, and after sorting through several, my current tow vehicle would be rated No. 2 of the group - - my favorite tow vehicle was the full-size Jeep Grand Wagoneer that was discontinued in 1991. After the Wagoneer, I tried a (1995 -- purchased new) K1500 Z71 Chevrolet pickup (club cab, 5.7 Liter, 3.73 differentials) and it was underpowered with a very rough riding characteristic that couldn't be corrected - - kept it for only three years and traded it on my current tow vehicle, a 1999 GMC K2500 Suburban with 7400 VORTEC and 4.10 differentials - - it has been trouble-free (other than a persistent issue with the electronic controls for the 4WD transfer case); and despite the issue with the transfer case, I fully expect at least 300,000 miles before it is traded (currently has 140,000+ miles since it was delivered to me in April 1998 as a special order from my local GMC dealer).

My tow vehicles have all been either GM, Chrysler or Jeep products. Among them have been at least one each of full-size sedan, full-size convertible, full-size station wagon, full-size van, Jeep Grand Wagoneer, full-size pickup, and Suburban. The only two that I doubt will ever be repeated are the pickup and van - - I found that I simply didn't like driving a pickup, and the added expense for maintenance on the van disuaded me from considering another (my dealer charged about an extra .5 hour for service to remove and replace the doghouse and on my van that was required at each service interval). I just wish that it were possible to purchase a new full-size body-on-frame car with big-block V8 for towing - - but the Suburban is a close compromise for me.

My suggestion would be to thoroughly test-drive any vehicle that you are considering under as many of your typical driving conditions as possible (while it may not be possible to find one with the exact drivetrain - - the closer the better). Had I taken the time to do this, I probably could have avoided being terribly disappointed by the pickup that I purchased - - the towing power issue wouldn't have been readily apparent but its other shortcomings for my intedned uses would have been fairly evident. Also, there is something of a consensus that keeping the gross weight towed to no more than 80% of the rated trailer tow capacity of a tow vehicle generally results in a more satisfactory towing experience (part of my displeasure with the pickup's towing performance was probably related to the fact that my Overlander represented 95%+ of its rated trailer tow capacity of 6,500 pounds).

Good luck with your search and research!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 08:54 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
PoJo Buggy,

Our current tow vehicle is a 2004 Dodge Durango. It has the HEMI and tows our 28' CCD very well.

However, after doing the math, taking the TV and TT to a scale, and reading several posts here and on other forums, I've determined that we are at the max for the Durango's GVWR of 6600#.

The A/S's tongue weight adds almost 1,000# to the Durango. When you add people, we are smacking at the 6600# GVWR. We don't carry any of our stuff in the Durango, it is stored in the trailer.

When all 4 of us (adult sized) and the dog (WFT) go, I know we're slightly over GVWR even though we're well under the GCWR of 14,000#.

Anyway, all of the above is my "justification" for getting a new TV. I ordered a 2005 F250 PSD CC long bed with Tow Command (built in brake controller). It should be here in 6 to 8 weeks. It has a 10,000# GVWR and 23,500# GCWR. Another plus to this TV is we can now carry our Honda scooters (metropolitans) and future toys (generators, etc) in the bed.

Anyone care to buy a 2004 Durango?

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote