Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-11-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Cool Happy Campers!

My Wife and I were able to finally bring our CCD home to this weekend. I was amazed at how easy it was for me to tow! I was able to get a great deal on a Reese trunnion bar weight distributing hitch from the dealer. I combined it with a sway bar and a Tekonsha Voyager brake controller. I finally was running with proper brakes. I had been towing my tent trailer for 5 years without a brake controller. I was told at the time of purchase that I didnt need one for a 3600lb trailer
Pulling Pearl(my Wife named her) through New York state was a breeze. The nine hour drive north into the mountains was not a problem. It seemed as if we were just being followed by a big silver bus. I dont think the size of the bed will be an issue either. My dog may have to find his own digs.
I would like to say that the service I received from this dealer ( Holiday on Wheels,Patterson N.Y) was second to none. The Staff treated us great. I hope they are all this nice. I cant wait to make my first official trip. Canuks
Canuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 08:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Welcome and congratulations!

Good to hear trip home smooth, and newly acquired trailer willing to politely follow the tow vehicle.. You didn't specify what was pulling it, but lots of posts and testimonials indicate the bigger and tougher the tow vehicle, the more controlled the ride... Load leveling and anti-sway hitch components are also critical to keeping the parade in formation..

I'm surprised at remark regarding prior trailer, as 1500# is pretty common max limit for some form of surge brake or other trailer braking system...

While not unanimously endorsed, if you have chance to practice a "Panic stop" alone on wide open road, it might be educational on several levels, both as to stopping distance and tendencies to swerve or jacknife... Given possibility of real slide or harm to trailer or tow vehicle, it's close call, but a practice run might avoid more serious issues when you need to stop, and might encourage longer following distances in traffic.. (from a FORMER tailgator when driving sporty car..)

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2005, 09:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Rivet

Congrats on your purchase. I had the same experience towing my 19' CCD for the first time. Amazing how well they tow. I really liked the 22' CCD I think the desk in the back is really cool. Wondering why you got the voager brake control rather than the prodigy model. Best of luck with new freedom machine.
ardenrj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 05:59 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Congratulations on your Airstream! Add us to the list who were pleasantly surprised at how well they tow. We pulled the Bambi home using no weight distribution or sway control. At least unloaded, it had no tendency to sway at all. I'm still putting the Equal-I-zer on just in case a tire blows out or emergency maneuvers are required.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 09:00 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

My tow vehicle is a 2003 5.3L Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71 with factory tow pkg. It has the 3.73 gears in back. I had the brake controller thrown in with tha deal. It was brand new in the box. I dont know anything about brake controllers but the Voyager model worked fine for me for the ride home. It seems like a simple straight forward idiot proof device.
I had to really fight the urge to practice panic stops on the way home. I will have to get out and practice a bit. I know what it like to lock up the Chevy with a trailer on the back. My Wife was so scared she tried to jump in the glove box. I sure scared that chipmunk too..
Canuks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2005, 10:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Exclamation Woopie

Congratulations on your new 22ft CCD. I've got the same model. My partner just set up a laptop for me with a TV card in it so I can watch the boob tube if I want to. It's not bad. I don't spend much time watching since I got the CCD, lots more fun meeting RVer's!

I know you'll continue to be pleased with your choice. I really like falling asleep in evening if it's raining softly on the roof. As for two in the bed.... well Im single, but it will encourage cuddling!

One word, If you ever want to use the dinette "bed" have an air mattress, foam topper, featherbed or something on top of those cushions. I also decided you need something between the cushions and the tabletop to keep the cushions from sliding around. I used some Rubbermaid non-slip cupboard and drawer liner which I had left over.

Paula
Tin Lizzie, 2005 CCD 22ft
Big Dawg, 2003 Suburban 2500 with tow package

Paula
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 11:25 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuks
I had the brake controller thrown in with tha deal. It was brand new in the box. I dont know anything about brake controllers but the Voyager model worked fine for me for the ride home. It seems like a simple straight forward idiot proof device.
I use the Voyager also, it does the job with a minumum of fuss. While the Prodigy is probably the best unit, I have had no complaints with the Voyager, and have no plans to upgrade or change it.

Tags
2003 international