Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2002, 03:25 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
GVW

I wonder why A/S placarded the Internationals at 5000# GVW. Their website indicates (or did indicate when I bought the trailer) 5300# GVW. The trailers have 2 2500# rated axles and there is certainly more than 300# minimum tongue weight. In addition, the weight rating for the Dexter axles is in addition to wheels and tires. The tires add up to about 7000# useful load. I think 5300# GVW would be quite reasionable for this trailer.

I ask because my trailer weighs out at 4840#, ready for a short trip with 5 gallons of fresh water and bad tanks empty. This gives me only 160# more useful load. Granted, I will never start out on a trip overloaded, but if for any reason, I was unable to dump tanks, I would quickly be over the GVW.

Even at established campgrounds, one can not always dump. Like the time I was waiting in line at astate park and the old guy in front of me accidentally dumped about 40 gallons of sewage right in the dump lane. he had forgotten to push in the handle the previous time he dumped. Only thing that saved me from carrying that load all day was that there was another section of the state park about 10 miles away with its own dump station.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 05:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Keep in mind that once you use a weight distributing hitch, some of that tongue weight winds up back on the trailer axles, some on the front tow vehicle axle, with it coming off the tow vehicle rear axle. How much depends on the geometry of the tow vehicle and trailer relative to the ball and the spring bar tension.

That being said, the axle's ratings have some safety margin built in, so going 100-200 lbs over the axle ratings in an emergency situation like towing to another nearby dump station wouldn't bother me. But I would be creative and try to find a spot where no one would notice me dumping grey water, and any remaining fresh water, on the ground to minimize the weight.

Often, a drop in rating is a result of failures in the field... or insurance company teams noting them.

That's my _opinion_, worth what you paid for it, and I'm not an engineer.
Old 10-17-2002, 05:35 PM   #3
Contributing Member

GVW

True, about 200# of the 600# tongue weight should be transferred back. Axles are still well below rated load.

You're right about not worrying too much about a couple of hundred pouinds over, but it is technically not legal. Probably of no worry except in case of an accident.

I think the GVW was lowered to 5000# to market to SUV owners. Their net pages trumpet (or did) that most SUVs can pull an International.

Interesting that a brand new 28 1/2' Trail-Lite with a great big slide-out just parked next to me at the storage lot. They have the same 2500# Dexter axles that I have (I looked at the data plate). Their tires are smaller than mine ... 205/75s, vs 215/75s on mine, and the Trail-Lite net pages specify the GVW for that model as 6055#. Something is sure wrong there! In fact, their net pages even specify 13" tires on that monster although this one had 14" on it. Those little tires look like roller skates on that big box.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-17-2002, 06:57 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to suekozin
GVW

We have a 72 land yacht and the weight ratings are hard to understand. So, I called the factory and asked how much weight in supplies and holding tanks before we go over the limit. I was told that most people couldn't carry that much to go over the weight limit. That was from the factory. We just use plastic and light weight cooking pots. Right now we only go out for a week or two at a time so were not carrying a lot. Also it's a 25 Ft. When we go full time it will be in a larger A/S 30 foot and a lot more attention to supplies.
WBCCI #4734
Escapees #52374
1968 Land Yacht International

At least I haven't been bored.....s kozin
suekozin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2002, 09:39 PM   #5
Contributing Member

GVW

Just twenty gallons more fluids in my 3 tanks and I'm over the limit. I weighed with 5 gallons of fresh water in a 30 gallon tank. If I had filled the tank, I would be well over the limit.

I think most of the weight in the new International is in the furniture. Lots of 3/4" plywood and little attention to cutting away excess wood. The steel-sided and 3/4" plywood front, back, and bottom drawers, especially, are monstrously heavy and there are 7 of those drawers in the trailer. The partition at the foot of the bed, for instance, consists of two 3/4" plywood sheets.

I don't carry a lot. For one thing, there just isn't that much space in a 22' trailer. Several years ago, while changing trailers, I weighed everything that came out of the old trailer. It was less than 100# total, not counting the microwave. I haven't added much since.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-17-2002, 10:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Lightbulb Interestin Point

John
You certainly bring up an interesting point, one which, we hear mention time and time again~
What would ya think if we all start posting official info abt each A/S trailer's gvw in Airstream Trailer Forums (by Model & Year) ?
Once that's started, we could all have a valid reference source to cite. let's say: no posting of "I think or I've heard it's this much" but, rather what's official A/S rating.
This would be of tremendous help to ole timers as well as newbies~
Just my take on this~
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international