Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
Happy Trails

2018 28' International
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
Factory fix for dropped CCD storage unit

On a recent trip from New Mexico in our 2005 Bambi CCD International, we travelled only highways in good condition, nevertheless, around Missouri, The ceiling storage compartment dropped partially and almost completely, swinging dangerously above the bed. I've seen other posts about this problem which I feel is a true design flaw with this model because the screws that hold up the rear of this unit are very long and pass through a good bit of empty space before biting into the aluminum structure. These screws appear to naturally work up and down with normal highway driving, until they cause the aluminum to fail. We took the Bambi to a Missouri Airstream dealer who were very professional and repaired the unit, but a half hour down the road from the dealer, the storage compartment was swinging again from the same kind of failure, even though the dealer drilled all new holes to support it. In the end we took the Bambi to the factory where they constructed a long, L-shaped bracket running the length of the compartment, and screwed well into both the aluminum interior and the compartment. This, while not the most beautiful fix, is a very strong fix that negates the design flaw and I expect this will take care of the problem. I thought other CCD owners might like to know about this.
bhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Poor Christopher Deam......

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Thanks for posting the info on this fix. Several others have had the same problem.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:28 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

I keep wondering what it takes for AS to admit to the problem and issue a recall. I guess we wait until it one comes down on someone, if it already hasn't.
frozen chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
I wonder if the defect is in the design, or if it's in the construction?

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 02:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Is this problem typical to only the end storage units in the 16' CCD. I have a 22' CCD with side storage units and they seem to be attached pretty solid. Any trouble noticed with those?
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
San Luis Obispo , California
I'm wondering the same thing as rseagle. We have a 2002 22' CCD, have traveled on some pretty rough roads, and the side storage units show no signs of becoming loose. Makes me wonder if the problem is only with the end units, as on the Bambis (the 22' CCD has no overhead storage at the ends). Any input from other 22' owners?
wbrownrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
Fleetwood , North Carolina
Send a message via Skype™ to DreamStreamr
Thumbs up Mounting Integrity of Roof Lockers on New Units

We have 3,300 miles on our 2005 CCD22, have been all over inside and out of curbside roof locker. It is mounted extremely well. We've been on rough enough roads -- dumped a drawer on the floor on two occasions. The 22's roof lockers are longer than the Bambi's end units so seem to have better mounting. We don't expect any problems with these.
DreamStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:22 PM   #9
Happy Trails

2018 28' International
Currently Looking...
Delaware , Ohio
The problem is only with the rear unit. It's because of the way it is hung: Long screws secure the rear end of the unit to the frame, but they must travel through a lot of air before getting there due to the design of the unit. As a result, through time, they move slightly on bumps, and I think this is magnified further by the short length between the wheels and the rear end of the Bambi. Longer trailers wouldn't be jolted as much. So in my opinion, this is a design flaw rather than the result of faulty construction on somebody's bad day at work. The side storage units fit tighter to the frame than the rear unit at the point of attachment, and they aren't flipped around as much by bumps so they are unlikely to come loose. Ours are still secure even after some pretty rough roads over a significant period of time. I hope that helps explain the cause and result. Good luck all you 16' Bambi International owners! Keep an eye on that rear overhead storage unit.
bhunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhunt
The problem is only with the rear unit. It's because of the way it is hung: Long screws secure the rear end of the unit to the frame, but they must travel through a lot of air before getting there due to the design of the unit. As a result, through time, they move slightly on bumps, and I think this is magnified further by the short length between the wheels and the rear end of the Bambi. Longer trailers wouldn't be jolted as much. So in my opinion, this is a design flaw rather than the result of faulty construction on somebody's bad day at work. The side storage units fit tighter to the frame than the rear unit at the point of attachment, and they aren't flipped around as much by bumps so they are unlikely to come loose. Ours are still secure even after some pretty rough roads over a significant period of time. I hope that helps explain the cause and result. Good luck all you 16' Bambi International owners! Keep an eye on that rear overhead storage unit.
I know this thread is old, but enjoying reading discussions about my year and model. The problem I do not think is just for short trailers; I had my rear overhead unit come down almost completely except for the screws to the aft wall. I found the unit sitting on the queen bed after a three hour trip from Placerville CA back to San Jose. I think the very poor I-680 road surface had something to do with it.

I repaired it by using screws 2 sizes larger in all the holes and snubbing it up tight. So far so good, but only about 500 miles since.

FWIW, the damage seems to coincide with the sagging rear end my trailer has (reported on other thread). The storage unit coming down seemed to be all the convincing needed to consider my claim to get the sag fixed.

If the fix doesn't hold, I'll be using some sort of L-bracket to keep it in place.

Chris
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:13 PM   #11
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Over 16,000 miles on my 2010 25' CCD..It is all Solid.

SHane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
San Jose via Winnepeg, Toronto, Orlando, Saratoga and Groton , California
Send a message via AIM to tyggeln Send a message via MSN to tyggeln Send a message via Yahoo to tyggeln
You mean it's still up there or have you checked the screws to be tight?

I think the problem is in how AS attaches the overhead storage to the ceilings. Airstream is a high vibration/aerospace application. The skin is fastened with rivets for a reason.

After I first noticed the rear storage beginning to drop I went and screwed it up tight. Noticed the front was going too, and tightened it up. The rear storage came down later of course. I think there are two problems with the design.

1) screws work loose with vibration.
2) aluminum is too soft to take much vibration or load and will ultimately fail and screws strip the thread.

I would like to see some kind of insert to distribute the load (like for drywall) and then loc tite used to lock the screws in place.

Yeah, maybe I'll do that when the current set of screws strip their holes instead of an L-bracket.

Chris
2007 GMC Yukon XL SLT
"Where are my keys?"
tyggeln is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2005 international