Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-20-2003, 03:12 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
discounts on International CCD/AS models

I'm currently in the market for my first airstream, and have been seriously looking at the International both CCD and AS models.

I've noticed that the 22' CCD model has a higher list price than the 25' Safari. Is that because they're so popular; as the salesman would have me believe?

Can any new owners of the CCD or AS give me an idea what kind of discount, if any, they were able to get?

I remember reading another thread which mentioned 18%, but can't remember if this was specific to the International or not.

I'll be purchasing from Southwest Couches in Irvine.

Thanks for your help.

Blamejane
2PNPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2003, 07:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Can't help you much with the purchasing from that dealer, but since you're considering both, here are some things to consider.

The CCD has "style" if that's what you want to call it. I don't.

The AS has a 4" wider bed and it's easier for the party sleeping next to the wall to crawl over the other sleeper's feet to get up to go to the bathroom, etc. than over the middle of them.

The AS has more counterspace and storage in the kitchen and storage in the dresser in the bedroom, where the dresser countertop more than equals the desk in the CCD.

In the AS, the TV location is where one person can sit sideways on each side of the dinette, with a pillow on the wall, to watch it, compared to two people having to sit upright on one side of the dinette to see it on the desk in the CC.

The AS has a much larger refrigerator and it's on the curbside where oncoming traffic on a two-lane road is less likely to blow the flame out (shouldn't be a big issue with electronic ignition if that's what they have). OTOH, the AS door blocks air circulation for the refrigerator, but that also doesn't seem to be much of an issue.

Neither can carry much cargo (food, clothes, etc) weight and stay under the GVWR if the water tank and water heater are full (300 lbs) considering another 40 lbs for propane. That leaves 450 in the bare CCD and 370 lbs in the heavier AS, and a two battery Group 31 or T-105 setup for boondocking would take another 70-80 lbs off that. Also not sure if the spare tire and wheel come off the load capacity since they're an option. Carrying that in the truck bed would alleviate that issue.

From what I've heard, neither have belly pans and heated tanks for camping in below freezing weather.

Both have the wet bath (less of an issue for guys).

Despite the negatives, I like the concept of a shorter, narrower, lighter dual-axle trailer for boondocking in tight, woodsy places like Forest Service land. I'd opt for dual-tube flourescent lights if available, which consume about half the AH of the dual-tungsten units. And I'd push to see if you could special-order one one of the high-efficiency air-conditioners that would let you get by on one Honda EU2000 vs two. A Fantastic Vent is a must!

The lower cargo capacity can certainly be overcome by carrying as much as possible in the bed of a pickup truck, where, besides the trailer spare tire, you'd want to carry the generator and gas for it, as well as the nasty tote-tank, greasy BBQ, and often muddy patio rug, lawn furniture, parking blocks and chocks, jacks, garden hose, extension cords, etc. Even a standard cab/short bed 1/2 ton truck, which is more manuverable on the trails, has sufficient wheelbase to pull a 22'.

Those are my thoughts on the Internationals.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:31 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Small correction

I agree with Maurice with one minor correction:

The CCD bed is 6" narrower than the AS bed, not 4" narrower. Confirmed by both the Airstream website and the CCD parts catalog. We are used to a queen bed at home and find the AS bed just fine, but the 48" CCD bed would be a real problem with us.

I had the same refrigerator as in the CCD in my old TrailManor and I ended up hating it with a passion. It was way too small, especially the freezer compartment. In the CCD, the refrigerator is mounted at floor level which means getting down on your knees to see and reach inside. The AS refrigerator is much larger and mounted over the wheel well so that it is at a much more convenient height.

Both the AS nor CCD refrigerators have manual spark ignition; no circuit boards. I have never had the flame on my AS blow out, even in 70-mile side gusts.

I don't think flourescents are an option, but it wouldn't be hard to change the incandescents. In fact, I intend to replace the present light over my couch with a flush-mounted flourescent.

Even better than the dinette is the AS with the couch option which provides a much more comfortable place to watch TV. I built a permanent folding table for mine, but small folding tables could be used for meals.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 07:51 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

We bought our 2003 CCD used, well sort of. The person that owned it (less than 30 days) put a small 6 in scratch on one side. Collected the insurance settlement, traded it in, and got a new one. The dealer called us as they knew we were looking at CCDs and we got the trailer for $31,000. I think list was about $39,000. So I don't know that this is directly applicable, but we were patient and got a deal.
texass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 08:32 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
John sez:
Both the AS nor CCD refrigerators have manual spark ignition; no circuit boards.
With only one battery, that's a good thing! My frig takes around 18AH/day with the circuit board and 1A gas solenoid. With only one battery, I'd shoot for a Group 31 with 130AH. To keep generator run time down, you'd want to stop charging at about 90% and if you keep it above 50% that gives you 130 X .4 = 52AH to work with.

If you want to extend camping time, rather than opt for two 30 lb propane tanks vs the two 20 lb ones, I'd get another 20 and carry it in the truck bed, where you're saving about 30 lbs off the trailer. You can also increase water and sewage capacity with three or four 5 gallon water cans and a 20 gal tote tank in the truck bed.
Old 04-21-2003, 10:04 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Don't know if it has sold yet but the Airstream dealer in Valley View, TX has a new CCD that was discounted to 32,000. Heck of a deal. It would have been have gone if I had an extra 30,000.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 11:33 AM   #7
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Clarification

Quote:
The CCD bed is 6" narrower than the AS bed, not 4" narrower.
I just looked again and Maurice was absolutely right about the published width difference being 4" except that I have actually tape measured my AS mattress as being 54" wide rather than the 52" width quoted in the floorplans. Maybe just production tolerance. Unfortunately, my mattress tends to overhang the plywood a bit, probably for this very reason.

Standard 54" double sheets fit perfectly except for the two curved corners where they tend to wrinkle a bit.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 12:47 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
LOL! That's what I THOUGHT I read! But even with these varilux lenses, I'm never sure. I'd rather have 54 inches, hanging over the plywood a coupla inches with standard sheets, than 52 inches anyday. If it really bothered me, I'd replace the plywood with wider!
Old 04-21-2003, 01:48 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
thanks for all the feedback everyone. I really like the idea of having a narrow TT. I love everything about the AS, but love the windows on the CCD.

It's going to be tough. I wont be able to decide until after looking at the Safari 25'. Travelland said they'd have a few in stock next week.
2PNPOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 04:48 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think the 18% applies to all lines.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2003, 05:26 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
blamejane

A word of caution re:Southwest Coach in Irvine. My experience was not very positive with Southwest. As a matter of fact, I went to Oasis RV in Tucson, AZ and got a much better price and friendlier service, and had the unit delivered to me for $500.00
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 08:32 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

I live in Seattle and the AS dealer in Fife wanted +/- 35K for a 2003 International AS. I saw an add for 31.5K from a dealer in Yakima WA. I bought my AS 2 months ago from the dealer in Yakima and saved about $3,000.
I pays to shop around.

Bill
billwhelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 09:53 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
las vegas , Nevada
Regarding CCD & AS Discounts... I had to wait 3 onths for my CCD & got mine through Southwest Coaches in Irvine. No discount at all.. but it all depends onhow much you want something and ifyou are willing to pay. Now that the flurry is over and the CCD & AS are not to "new" and "exciting", you'll probably find some discounts (but not in Calif)

About the bedwiths.. yes... that is a problem.. the CCD bed is pretty narrow..about the only thing I can complain about. After a couple of outings.. my boyfriend, Chris, now sleeps on the dinette so we both have more room Not so cozy but a lot more comfortable.

I'm looking for a CCD on the road, and still haven't found one yet. Where are you???
WBCCI #4454
Las Vegas, NV
betteleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2003, 10:08 PM   #14
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Bette,

Some deal, some don't. It's the beauty of the American way I suppose.

At any rate, you might not find many CCDs on the road simply because (to me, it's a specialty item). It is the only one that has the factory "Euro" look. Lot's of folks, present author included, don't really care for the wet bath. The International is a very nice unit and we came within inches of going International vs. Bambi, but in the end, we took our head for our current needs out of the clouds and went Bambi instead partly because it did not have the wet bath among other more significant issues.

But the Internationals, and the CCD Internationals are nice units, don't get me wrong.

As for sleeping quarters with the small beds, as I said we have a Bambi and I guess it all depends on how much real estate you need when you sleep. Some really need more space than others beyond a person's size issues. We have a king at home, but when camping, we both seem to feel that the Bambi has more than ample space for our needs. I more than understand that some need more space. There are times when being in the same 2000 square foot house is not enough at times!

Eric
Old 06-16-2003, 11:00 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
2003 ccd

Blame jane,

we're new owners of a 2003 22'ccd and feel we have overpayed for ours but in our area the waiting list for one was never ending.
We tried the 18-25% policy discount and all we got out of it was 7yrs of extra GE Platinum insurance included.
No discount on the $37 sticker price & Hitchwork not included!!

On both occasions while we were there looking, they sold 4 ccd 22', 2 as 22', 1 ccd 16' and took other 6 orders for them! We saw the one they sold, A real beauty but overpriced !

Hope you have more luck.

PS
the bed size is not an issue for us we sleep in a full at home and don't use most of it
KIMILI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:54 PM   #16
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's pretty harsh. I wonder if you bought it over the winter if they would deal.

I could have walked away with the 22' CCD for about $29,900. It was the RV show price last February.

Eric

Tags
2003 international