Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2009, 08:35 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Bozeman , MT
Could this be a scam?

I am looking at buying a 16 foot 2004 Bambi International. When I asked the seller if the unit had any problems she mentioned that her neighbor put a little scratch on one of the panels and had someone replace the panel (riveting it). She also told me that the trailer has a new awning and when I asked her why she had to put a new one, she replied that the Bambi didn't come with an awning. I looked online and realized that 16 foot Bambi came with awnings (or am i wrong?). I am just starting to wonder if the trailer was in some kind of an accident and I should stay away from it. How easy or serious is it to change a panel? It seems that changing a panel because of a scratch would be a major deal...
Any idea?
Thanks!
marchesi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Have you seen the trailer in person? Where is it located if you have not? How did you hear about the trailer? If it was Craigslist or Ebay, is the trailer $4800, and does it come with free shipping?
As to the "scratch", it doesn't take a very big scratch to ruin a panel, though it would be more likely the "scratch" was more like a crease or gouge.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
One thought is that it would be hard to scratch anything on the curbside of a 16-footer without hitting an awning arm. Did an authorized Airstream dealer do the repair? Relying on your own eyes for inspection is the best way to know if you'll be happy or disappointed.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Your description of this Bambi does have some "fishy" elements. A 'scratch' would rarely dictate a several thousand dollar panel replacement. A late model Bambi most assuredly came with an awning. Both of these issues are suspicious.

Ask the seller for the VIN (vehicle identification number). If the seller refuses to give you the VIN, it is a scam. Discontinue negotiations immediately.

Ask the seller if the title for the Airstream is a salvage title. If it is, it means that the trailer had been totaled by the insurance company. This, in and of itself, does not mean that the trailer is not worth having. If the price is right and the repair were done properly, it could be a really good deal.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 international