Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2003, 05:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

CCD Grey/Black Tank Combo

On pg. 62 of this month's Blue Beret, the specifications for the new CCD models are listed. Of particular interest was the 28' CCD which does not have separate grey and black tanks but rather a 70 gallon combo tank.

At first I thought that it might be nice to have such a large tank for the grey water to go into. I never come close to filling my 21 gallon black but can easily fill my 21 gallon grey in about one day. On the downside, with a combo tank one would not have the grey rinse water to flush the sewer hose during dumps and I assume there would have to be a number of check valves to insure smells do not come up through the sink drains.

Any other thoughts or comments as to the value of this system?

The LuvSub
LuvSub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 05:15 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's on the Airstream web site too.

I personally feel that a combo tank is not a good idea. I can think of many reasons, but I'll spare you all from the novel as to why.

I think they should have seperate tanks. Another case of the "What were they thinking." I am sure there was some logic behind it, but I don't agree with the outcome.

Regards,

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 06:37 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Well, one thing to consider is this, with a combo tank, you will have more liquids mixed in with your solids, which would help the tank empty quite well, I would imagine. This would give you quite a bit of grey capacity. Downside, is that when at a full hookup site, you probably would not want to leave the valve open, or you would have to contend with the imfamous "Brown Pyramid"
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 06:49 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, I lied, I will enter part of the saga....

I don't like the combo tank because for starters I don't go to full serv all the time when I go camping. I use/fill more gray water than black. I'd say easily 2gals of gray for every 1 black. So what happens if the tank overflows. Well, I get black water mixed in with the gray. Where as now, I might only get my soggy corn pops back in the shower...

Now at the rustic spots I go to, I can let my gray water run straight out if I want to. If I had a combo tank, I'd have to hold all that extra water weight until I could find a dump station. Now on my way back from Louisville home, there were no sanitary stations at any of the rest areas on I-65. So I would have to have hauled it all the way home as I did my 1/4 full black tank on my dual tank Bambi. If I had a seperate tank like the rest of the Airstreams (of similar size), I would have easily lost about 330lbs by purging the gray tank (8.6lbs per gallon I think is the weight of a gallon of water).

That's my main concern(s). For those a full serv campsites, not an issue I agree.

Given the size of the trailer though, I can't seem to understand why they would consider that unless they did some market research or something.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 06:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
With all the solids there really couldn't be a baffle. I hope it is securely mounted when 45 or 50 gallons of liquid starts slamming around.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2003, 07:04 PM   #6

And did you think of boondocking for a week?

On our 1974, with a 25 gallon black tank, we manage to get by easily.
With a small grey water tank (forgot the size, it's small), we don't even try. So, of course we always do the "right" thing: a discrete water hose stretched under the trailer helps keep the grass green.

If we had to get by with a single 70 gallons tank, we would have to haul a lot of our grey water with a bucket everytime we wash dishes, hands, etc....

Like we do when we spend a week every year "boondocking" in NH, from WalMart to Sam's Club, from VT to ME. With the draught, their trees enjoyed our attention.

Single tank: that's sure a dumb idea.
femuse is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international