Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-27-2003, 09:06 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
4-season International?

An Airstream dealer told us that the current International models are not 4-season trailers because of the lack of insulating aluminum underbelly where the tanks are. He seemed to think that Airstream would change this in the next few years and make it the same as other models, at least on the underside.

Do any International owners have any cold weather experience to share?

Thanks!

- Mrs. dougjamie
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 03:06 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Limited experience

I used the trailer down to 26 degrees last winter and had no problems. The floor stayed plenty warm and nothing froze.

Here in texas.I'm just as glad there is no aluminum underbelly which I consider a potential maintenance problem.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2003, 08:18 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Limited experience

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska

Here in texas.I'm just as glad there is no aluminum underbelly which I consider a potential maintenance problem.
Really...why? I have the '03 Bambi and it has alum all over the bottom.

I camped in the driveway at 15 degrees and snowing like hell.

Just would like to know your thoughts on it, not trying to be arguementitive.

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 07:23 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
This thread is somewhat old, but to the point.

If you have a pre 2004 CCD, and you have winter camped (freezing & below), what has been your experience regarding comfort of the unit and the functional aspects (holding tanks, underbelly maintenance/exposure)? My understanding is that, beginning with the with the 2004 units, the underbelly was sealed, and the tanks were heated.

I like the overall CCD design, however, the 3-season aspects trouble me. Can any one out there put these fears to rest? Even though I live in California, I would like to take the trailer up to the snow for an extended period, and am curious as to its' ability to function in such an environment...thanks for the input!

P.S. Primarily interested in the 22', however, any relevant experience is viable.
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 03:31 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

We have 2003, 22' AS, last Halloween we decided to go camping rather than sit at home and hand out treats. We went to the Smith Rocks area in central Oregon (Cascade Mountains). When we arrived at the state park we thought it odd no one else was there. When we got out of our truck we instantly knew why - it was cold! We set up, plugged in and hooked up the water. That night it dropped from 24 to 9 degrees, the only problem we had was the water hose froze solid. Everything in the trailer was fine! We used the heat function on the air conditioner and a small electric space heater; at night we left open the bathroom door so warm air could circulate. We had no problems at all, it was kind of fun being the only ones in the area. The only thing I would do different is keeping the fresh water tank full and if I needed to use the water hook-up I’d unhook the hose and drain it at night. You might try and internet search “winter RV camping” I camp across some great tips on an Airstream Club site from eastern Sierras.
Asgard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 international