Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2002, 10:42 PM   #81
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Portland , Oregon
Angry Rain Leaks in New AS !

I recently purchased a new International AS and on the first trip out, it rained lightly for about 18 hours. Much to my surprise, I noticed water collecting on the kitchen counter just below a window and at the other end (front) the carpeting was soaked. At this time, the dealer (130 miles from my home!) has the trailer and is busily finding and fixing several leaks but still has not been able to pronouce it water tight.

Has anyone else had a similar problem with a NEW airstream? I am really surprised to see this in a new airstream.

Very disappointing.
vwilleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2002, 04:22 AM   #82
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Angry Sense of humor?

Sounds like "Someone has a weird sense of humor" back at the A/S factory.
For instance; This summer while I was there, I elected to have the stainless steel stoneguards installed. The problem with the installation didn't become apprend to me until I was 140 miles from the factory. Here's what happened.
As I said," It didn't become apprend until about 140 miles away from the factory" I had stopped at a rest stop to check the tires (per A/S instruction), etc. The wheels had been taken off for the wheel bearings (repacked) work. On this one stop, I noticed that there was a slight mark on my front skin just above the top of the stoneguard, upon checking it for movement I discovered it to be loose. Hmm, This wasn't supposed to be~! I looked it over and, discovered the top screw on the hinge side almost out. THAT GOT MY ATTENTION~! I got my tools out and opened the stoneguard to check this out when, it almost fell in my hands. The only thing holding it up was that one screw that was just about to fall off completely.~!!
Upon checking futher, I discovered that the hinge had only two screws put in by the tech at the factory and, the one on the bottom was gone, leaving just the one on top. I said a few choice words under my breath and, then opened the other side to check it. Whew, well at least he finis that one like he was supposed to. The side that was about to fall off had only 2 screws installed of about 7 or 8 that was required for the job. The others missing screws didn't even have holes drilled in place where they should have been~!~! Luckly for me, I had stopped and checked this. Also, the fact that I had picked up a few screws at the factory while I was there. After fixing this fiscao the best I could, I called the factory and, left a scalding message on their voice message center describing what had transpired~ I later received a call back from the personal at the factory and, was put on a conference call with the lead shop foreman.
They promised to look into it and get back with me. Which they did.
Now, just in case you haven't figured out what this could have done, think of that stoneguard section 'opening' much like a wing at 55mph~ and ripping out my side/front skin in the process~!!
I have and, will always stop to check this unit out..You just never know what to expect when you're walking around check'in things out. I'd say, expect the "unexpected"~!
Just so you know
FootNote:
After making the best temp fix I could, it's worth noting that, I continued on my vacation with no futher problems with screws loosening or for that matter..coming out. Since arriving home in late Aug., I've received a package from A/S factory containing the missing 'screws' and, the support brackets that I had originally requested be installed. (Since the A/S is in Virginia Beach, I'll install these on my next trip down.) Follow up letters from managements, etc.
ciao
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2002, 11:37 AM   #83
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Unhappy More small problems

I just returned from a 3-day rally with the TrailManor folks. I had to turn over my old job as Director of the South-Central Heartland Chapter of the TrailManor TrailBlazers since I no longer own a TrailManor.

After owning the trailer through a hot Texas summer, this is the first time I opened some of the windows. Two of them were stuck tight and I had a devil of a time getting them unstuck.

One of the red latches on the "escape" window came adrift. I first thought the nut was stripped. WHen I took the latch off upon getting home, I found that the nut had been split. Apparently, it was overtightened. This one, I can fix myself.

The worst problem came during the one afternoon that required the air conditioner. Water started dripping inside the trailer as well as coming out of the tube underneath. This had never happened before, even on hot, rainy afternoons. I pulled off the filter on the intake and found that the water was coming right from where the drain tube hooks to the pan. There are gobs and strings of vulcum all over the place, and I couldn't do more than check that the hose clamp was tight. It was. Now, I'm afraid that the drain pan may be cracked where the drain tube comes out. This one gets dropped on the dealer, I'm afraid, although I'll do some more checking with better light to see if I can isolate the problem.

BTW: My trailer was built in April of this year.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2002, 09:25 AM   #84
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
When bought new, my 1999 Safari had:
1) serious water leaks at both the front and rear windows,
2) a badly miswired stereo that caused the output amplifiers to blow,
3) trim that delaminated around the waist of the trailer,
4) a bad battery, (dealer refused to replace)
5) a shower "door/screen" that had a 1/2" gap allowing water to spew out of the shower,
6) water stained curtains
7) a leaking kitchen faucet that had to be replaced
8) an accordian bedroom screen track that constantly fell down

and... a dealer with the worst customer service and atttidude of any company that I have EVER dealt with. That said, I am just beginning consider buying a new 30'Limited (from another dealer 350 miles away). Makes sense doesn't it !?
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 10:50 PM   #85
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Leakin Faucet

JaceBeck

A leaking kitchen faucet that had to be replaced

You know this brought to mind a problem I discovered this summer, similiar but under the kitchen sink.
We had pulled into our place in Virginia Beach and, like so many of you..We had to get our Wally's fixs..lol
Went to the local SuperCenter and, afterwards, in the process of putting things away, I discovered the paper towels under the kitchen sink soak'in wet~water~ that ole stuff that I keep after~!
It really blew my mind for, This was the first time ever~ After I cleaned it up, I went searching for the cause. This was what I found. The U shape elbow trap in the drain system had worked itself loose~! Upon tightenin it up, the problem was gone. Now this is another thing I have added to my checklist~
Just thought I'd pass it along for what it might be worth.
ciao
Footnote: New or Old, they all require lots of lov'in..ya know??
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2002, 07:17 AM   #86
Contributing Member

Question Rain leaks

Went out to the trailer yesterday in a light rain, and when I stepped inside, I felt a drop of water on my head. It was coming from the air conditioner.

I had some water drips from the AC on the last trip, but never any rain leaks up to now. I found that the water seems to be coming from the same place as last time ... around where the hose attaches to the AC drip pan. There was water in the channel that runs fore and aft that is visible when the filter is dropped.

There are a lot of vulcum strings and gobs in that area, and I can't identify the exact origin of the leak. I did look under the trailer, and there was a wet spot there where the drip line was putting out water, so the drip line apparently isn't clogged up. With the clothes I was wearing, I couldn't get under and check further.

It's raining harder today, so I will go out in a few minutes and check it again. The drip appears to be only in one spot, so I put a pot there to keep the carpet dry.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-09-2002, 08:21 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
I get some water leak onto the floor in my 34' Ltd during a heavy downpour IF the AC is running. I don't get it in a heavy downpour when the AC isn't running, nor do I get it when its not raining, just real humid, and the AC is running. There's lots of water dripping on the ground from the condensate drain.

I don't know if there's goop in the drain, or if the drain hose is partially crimped. I'll probably pull the lower part of the unit and check the pan... maybe while putting a little compressed air on the drain end. Could be a bug crawled into the hose and died... could be some sealant.

But as close as I am to Jackson Center, I'll probably just take it back there and let them fix it.
Old 10-09-2002, 10:53 AM   #88
Contributing Member

AC Just damp this time

I just checked after it rained hard all night and there was no water in the bowl that I placed under the drip. It was all wet up above the filter, though, with a big wet spot on the filter.

I think I found the problem. I cut away some of the gobs ad strings of excess Vulcum so that I could see the top end of the drain hose.There's a black plastic "box" that apparently collects the water from the AC pan. The hose connects to a tube coming from the black box.

There's a big gob of sealer around the tube where it goes into the black box; not Vulcum, but some kind of white sealer instead. The seepage seems to be coming out around the tube, as if the white sealer hadn't bonded to the tube. I want to go back to the trailer with an Xacto knife and cut the sealer away to try to figure out why it would be seeping there.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-16-2002, 05:14 PM   #89
Contributing Member

More little modifications

I had no work to do today and it was a beautiful Texas October day, so I broughht the AS home to do some work I had been contemplating.

The cabinet in the dressing table had a false plywood back instead of relying on the fabric-covered inner shell of the trailer. This reduced the shelf space by 2" to almost 4" going around the curve of the front. This was just enough space loss that it was impossible to fit my laptop bag along with my digital camera case and/or my wife's purse on the shelf.

I removed the dressing table from the trailer and took the whole cabinet into my shop. I partially disassembled the cabinet and discarded the false plywood back. I also removed some unnecessary plywood. I bandsawed a curved filler from some lightweight 3/4" scrap plywood in the shop. I glued the filler in place and then reinforced it with mending plates and aluminum angles. The lines in the photo mark the joint between the new wood and the original shelf. The joint is almost invisible to the eye.

To complete the mod, I installed a key lock on the cabinet (arrow). This will allow us to secure camera, laptop, and/or purse at rallys and such where we wish to be out of the trailer, leaving the door unlocked.

On the way back to storage, I realized that I had totally forgotten to investigate the leak in the air conditioner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dreser.jpg
Views:	491
Size:	7.4 KB
ID:	679  
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-18-2002, 12:18 PM   #90
Contributing Member

Next modification

Not an A/S goof up. Just making the trailer best suit the way I use it.

The light switch for the bathroom is located outside of the bathroom, on the wall over the dinette backrest. This presents me with two problems:

1. The bright light disturbs others sleeping in the trailer since the door has to be open at least briefly with the light turned on.

2. If windows or blinds are open, the neighbors get a show. I don't ordinarily close everything up when camping alone since I like the moonlight and night sounds .

I intend to replace the current switch with a waterproof marine switch inside the bathroom so that the light can be turned on after entering and closing the door. There is a suitable space just below the medicine cabinet for the switch and access to make the change is easy through the opening behind the dinette and by temporarily removing the AC outlet. I may put a telltale LED in place of the current switch to warn that the bathroom light has been left on.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-18-2002, 12:44 PM   #91
Contributing Member

AC drip

Nice cool Texas morning, spitting a little rain, so I decided to look into the drip that I was getting from the air conditioner.

I started by removing the drain hose and blowing it out with air. I first spread an old shower curtain to see if anything would come out. As I expected, nothing did.

I had noticed that the seepage seemed to be around the big gob of sealant (photo) where the hose attaches. This made me immediately suspicious ... why was that big gob of sealant there in the first place? Why would there posisbly need to be a big, misshapen gob of sealant?

I cut the sealant with an Xacto knife and pulled it with pliers. As I expected, it was bonded only to itself and not to the shiny plastic of the catch basin or the hose fitting. As you can see in the photo in the next post, the plastic is virtually clean. The sealant was just slowing down the leak at the best. Most of the water went down the hose, the rest seeped past the sealant and dripped through the filter to the carpet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ac_gob.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	684  
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-18-2002, 12:56 PM   #92
Contributing Member

AC drip, part 2

This photo shows the plastic parts after I pulled off the sealant. As you can see, there wasn't much adhesion to the plastic. The sealant came off in one great big piece.

The bottom of the basin at the hose fitting is depressed and appears to be cracked, although it is very hard to see and get a photo of. What I suspect is that the fitting was pulled down roughly when the hose was put on it and the basin cracked. Rather than going to a lot of trouble to replace the basin, the big gob of sealant was put on. The sealant was very obviously applied after the hose was attached since the outline of the hose was in the end of the sealant.

Since taking the trailer to the dealer is a major operation, I decided to blow a couple of dollars on the best sealant I could find and see if it would bond better. I bought a tube of silicone, roughed up the surfaces a bit, and caulked it again, this time a bit more neatly.

If this shot doesn't work, it's back to the dealer, probably in the spring when humidity is higher and the seal will get a good test.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ac_clean.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	7.3 KB
ID:	685  
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-18-2002, 04:29 PM   #93
Contributing Member

AC drip part 3

I just returned from an open house at the dealer. I was able to look at the drain hose attachment in another new International. The other trailer had just a small layer of sealer, very neatly applied where mine had the huge lump of messy sealer of a different type. This reinforces my guess that the fitting was cracked during installation and the big mess of sealer was an attempt to correct the problem.

I also ordered a spare tire mount. Granted, you can limp along at reduced speed on 3 tires, but in our part of the country, the nearest service may be 100 or more miles away and the nearest suitable replacement tire may be several hundred miles away. That's a lvery ong way to limp! In light of my small useful load, I may only carry the spare on extended trips.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-22-2002, 09:10 AM   #94

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Re: AC drip part 3

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska

I also ordered a spare tire mount. Granted, you can limp along at reduced speed on 3 tires, but in our part of the country, the nearest service may be 100 or more miles
Good idea John. I've never had a trailer without ordering the spare..goes all the way back to my pop up camper days. Only had to use a spare once and that was on my old Hi-Lo. I made the mistake of trying to get the trailer home from winter storage with tires that weren't quite up to proper pressure. As I was backing into the drive at home, the pivot on the backin caused one of the tires to roll right off the rim.

Now is the spare tire mount on your International the bottom mount like on my Safari?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 09:18 AM   #95
Contributing Member

Spare tire mount

jcanavera

I think it is the same. It is a pipe frame that mounts under the front of the trailer and pivots on the first cross member. I'll buy a tire and wheel for it locally.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-22-2002, 10:20 AM   #96
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Re: AC drip part 3

Quote:
Originally posted by Pahaska
I also ordered a spare tire mount. Granted, you can limp along at reduced speed on 3 tires, but in our part of the country, the nearest service may be 100 or more miles away and the nearest suitable replacement tire may be several hundred miles away. That's a lvery ong way to limp! In light of my small useful load, I may only carry the spare on extended trips.
I couldn't believe it, but my 34' Limited came without a spare tire! The carrier is there underneath, but the tire and wheel were an option. YGBSM! On the premium priced Airstreams, much less a top of the line model, they can't afford to give you a spare on a steel rim? I think they take that limp mode too seriously, even with a 3 axle trailer.

John, in your case, I'd carry the trailer spare in the bed of the Silverado, if you could, to save weight on the trailer.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:42 AM   #97

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just as an FYI, the spare tire assembly is recessed in a special cut out. Sort of a box assembly that allows the carrier to mount closer to a frame cross member. I know A/S charged almost $350 to have that mount and tire done at factory build time. My dealer said he would do it but I would rather see it done at build than a retrofit which probably may not be done as good. At the time the spare tire and carrier was not an official option for the Safari's.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2002, 12:58 PM   #98
Contributing Member

Cutout

The Internationals do not have the belly pan, so the spare tire simply rides up against the bottom of the trailer. I looked at one in the dealer's lot.

The only thing I may have to do is to slightly relocate the PVC sewer hose tube that I added on the bottom of the trailer right at the cross member. All the larger models have the hose tube, but I had to add my own.
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-22-2002, 01:44 PM   #99
Contributing Member

Kinked vent tube

I wondered why the filler to the fresh water tank kept spitting back at me. Today, I found that the vent tube is kinked closed.

I have some 1/2" barbed fittings in the shop. next time I bring the trailer home, I'll put in an elbow and eliminate the kink.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bent_vent.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	708  
WBCCI #9632
Old 10-23-2002, 04:54 PM   #100
Contributing Member

Bathroom light switch

I now have a light switch inside the bathroom that parallels the switch that is outside. Now I won't disturb the whole trailer when getting up at night and I can leave the windows and blinds open on balmy nights without giving the neighbors a show.

I bought a marine toggle switch that is internally all bress so that humidity and possible splash from the shower won't cause problems. I cut a hole below the medicine cabinet where the fiberglass is about 1/8" thick. The switch has integral catches on the ends, so it is just a matter of pushing the switch iinto a properly sized hole.

I simply used wire splices to tie the new switch into the wires to the old switch. The new switch is black and should show up against the white wall with very little light.
WBCCI #9632

Tags
2003 international