Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2002, 09:18 PM   #41
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Sway

I have had absolutely no problems with sway, even when being passed by 18-wheelers in a vicious crosswind. I have a Reese sway bar, but even before I installed the sway bar, the trailer was completely docile. The truck is actually a lot more wind sensitive without the trailer than it is with it.

Actually, my problems have been pretty minor. The only bad one was the unrestrained medicine cabinet door and that took me all of 15 minutes to fix. I fixed the lazy Susan, but we could have simply been more careful in loading it in the future. The rest has been mainly "personalizing" the trailer. The build quality of my trailer is quite good overall.

As to the CCD, it is simply personal preference. However, the CCD has a tiny fridge, no outside storage, and minimal galley storage, especially with the oven option. The CCD overhead lockers are cutesy, but not terribly practical. My wife balked at the vinyl dinette cushions in the CCD. I see the CCD as more of a weekender.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2002, 10:11 AM   #42
Contributing Member

Knife REack

I hate knives in kitchen drawers. In my prior trailers, I made oak knife racks that inset into the counter tops, but I did not like this option on the AS since in the only suitable place on the counter, the handles would be sticking up in front of the window. I finally settled on the end of the curb-side roof locker as a great place for a knife rack.

I built up the rack out of oak strips and covered it with the black laminate that I salvaged from the dressing table modification. The slots are exactly sized for the 4 Chicago knives that I carry.

I have a paper towel holder mounted on the end of the curb-side roof locker and there was plenty of room above the towel roll for the knife rack. The knives are slanted upward at about 20 degrees so that they will not fall out of the block when under way.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-18-2002, 10:13 AM   #43
Contributing Member

Knife Rack

Somehow, the photo did not attach to the previous post. here it is:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	knife_block.jpg
Views:	1557
Size:	8.0 KB
ID:	441  
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-18-2002, 11:06 AM   #44
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Hi Robert and Rebecca,
I live close by an Airstream dealer and go once in a while just to snoop around and check the new units.
I completely agree with you on the fact that some of the new units are very poorly built. As a matter of fact, I would not buy one at half the price. ( Not that I can afford it right now, anyways)
I have seen CCD unit's interior parts fall apart on the dealer's lot, literally, no exxageration. And I have spent an hour looking at the AS model, noticing very poor craftsmanship and execution, simply unacceptable to me. Not something I wanted to see, believe me, because I was looking forward to buying a new A/S trailer in a year or so. I think I will keep my old one and buy a new motorhome instead. I don't see a noticeable difference in INTERIOR quality from a SOB trailer that only costs 1/3 of the price of the A/S.
Of course under the skin it's still an Airstream with all the famous quality marks of the past - or is it?
Old 08-18-2002, 07:26 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

mill springs , North Carolina
when i buy somthing new , it is because i get tired of fixing things and breakdowns. but with that list of things that are wrong , it would be going back too the dealer and getting somthing else. cause as much as the list price is, it should be flawless in MY opinion. when i got my 77 model in 2000, it was in better shape!
sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 11:58 AM   #46
Contributing Member

Another manual faux-pas

The manual specifies "To change a tire with a jack, see the label affixed to the underbelly to the rear of the wheels. This label says JACK with an arrow and points to a plate riveted to the mainframe rail where the jack head must be placed."

Whadda ya know. No label. No plate. In fact, there is only one place, about 8" wide, where a jack can even be placed on the frame, in the gap between the grey and black water tanks. There is a cross member at that point

I had the wheels balanced this morning and I had them jack the trailer at that point.

I think the manual was simply zeroxed from previous manuals without ever checking it against the physical trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-19-2002, 04:05 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

mill springs , North Carolina
i wonder if airstream has a process improvement dept? and if any of the quality control,mangement read this forum
sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 04:19 PM   #48

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Question Jack Point

I haven't been under mine yet, but since its in the drive at this point I'll look tonight. I think my book also notes something marked "jack".

If nothing is there, maybe we need to call customer service tomorrow!

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2002, 05:16 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

Mine are right where the manual says they should be--behind the rear wheels.
On The Road, USA
gwsullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2002, 10:57 AM   #50
Contributing Member

Shower(less) head

Have any other AS/CCD owners tried using the shower head?

All I can get is a dribble from it. I think it needs a lot more flow to get a decent spray. The galley sink spray works fine, so it isn't overall low pressure.

I'm thinking of plugging about half the holes in the shower head to try to get a decent spray.
WBCCI #9632
Old 08-22-2002, 07:23 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

hey, iam freaking out here. the reason i was trading in my 2001 trailer (which i am have zero problems with) is because AS is supposed to be the best. am i making a mistake here?
Old 08-22-2002, 07:46 PM   #52
Contributing Member

To paraphrase Little Bo Peep

Where it is good, it is very good. Where it is bad, it is horrid.

The trailer is an enigma. It is attractive and I love most everything about it, but there are glaring inconsistancies.

In my case, it is mostly little things like the shower head. The overall build quality is fine. I love the layout and the galley.

There are a lot of inconsistancies in the owner's manual. It is obviously an unedited zerox job from another model.

The empty weight of the trailer is too high, but there is no attempt to remove unneeded wood from the interior. Everything is 3/4" plywood, often several layers thick regardless of whether it is needed. With their numerically controlled cutters, it would be trivial to remove a bunch of unnecessary weight.

The drawers are unbelievably heavy with steel sides and 3/4" bottom and back. I ran the bottoms and backs of the galley drawers through the planer and got rid of a lot of unneeded wood. Not much I can do aboput the steel sides, though, unless I want to build new drawers.

I think that they need someone to take the trailer and live in it for a period and report back on problems so that they could be fixed before production.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-05-2002, 10:18 PM   #53
Contributing Member

Trip report

Just got back from a 1500-mile round trip to Eureka Springs and Branson.

The trailer now has a small beauty mark where an old lady in a big, old car backed into the bumper in a parking lot. I heard it and saw the trailer shake as I was coming out of a Chinese buffet in Poteau, OK. I was too far away and she was long gone by the time I got to the trailer. It's not too bad and I'll probably try to bump it out.

The trailer worked just great with several small exceptions:
1. The "chrome" on the trim on the door is peeling.

2. The two large drawers under the bed will not stay closed when loaded with clothes. There is a single latch on the back of each drawer; there should be 2 latches on these large, heavy drawers.

3. The lid hinge for the bumper storage is attached only with a double-sided sticky foam tape. The tape only adhered to about 1/3 of the hinge at one end and the balance of the hinge came loose. I suspect the mating surface wasn't properly cleaned. I used a knife to remove some foam and used two tabs of "industrial-strength" Velcro to hold the lid in place until I returned home. I'll probably pop-rivet the hinge in place.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-05-2002, 10:47 PM   #54
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Eureka Springs

John,
Having been to Eureka Springs before...I just wondered where oh where did you find a spot to park>??? lol, it's a nice lil town and I bet you had a great time at both places as well...
Had you looked at on of my pictures of my rear storage area? It shows the 'original tiedown' that A/S USED to use...
Nice to read abt your trip....Somehow we missed each other on the road this summer..Just terminated my 6 week vacation and, 7,000 mile trek...
ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2002, 11:52 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Folsom , California
Send a message via MSN to rbyrnesanmateo
Dribble from shower head

Hi John,

I have to agree with you on the shower head. Ours comes out as a dribble as well, and keeps shifting from dribble to the regular flow!

We took the trailer out this last weekend to Santa Cruz and found a few more bugs, and more of the laminate is peeling off -

Anyway, I guess that we've finally contacted the right folks at Airstream customer service, because we got a letter form Dickie Regal, the CEO of Thor Industries, and he told us that he would do whatever it took to make sure that our trailer was fixed.

We will be shipping her back to Ohio in the fall at the end of our camping season. We still have a Yosemite trip on the books.

The folks at Airstream are aware of this forum, we sent them the link, and they have checked it out. If anything comes of it, I couldn't tell you.

Anyway, just adding in my 2 cents worth!
Old 09-06-2002, 02:25 PM   #56
Contributing Member

Shower head

Thanks rbyrnesanmateo. Looks like we have some of the same problems. Thank goodness, I have been luckier than you. My 1500-mile trip went quite well and the problems I ran into were minor.

I'm going to have to stop up a few more holes in the shower head. It works OK now with both taps on full, butwhen I turn back the hot a bit to get the right water temperature, it's back to the dribble mode.

As you can see from the post above, when I loaded the under-bed drawers, they came out underway, just as yours did. I'm going to email Airstream and suggest that they put two latches on the back of each of those big drawers.

I pulled some laminate from the edge of the bathroom door when my clothes caught on it. I reglued the edging with woodworker's glue and it is solid now. I wonder whether it is the "iron-on" type of edging? I never have found that to adhere very solidly.

I did have the cover on the bumper storage come loose from the foam tape used to attach it. I'm convinced that the cover was oily from the stamping process and hadn't been properly cleaned before applying the tape. I'll probably hav the dealer wrestle with this one.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-06-2002, 02:35 PM   #57
Contributing Member

Eureka Springs

To towner7

This is about my 6th Labor Day in Eureka with a trailer. We stay at the Green Tree Lodge about 2/3 mile west on 62 from the "Inn of the Hills" where our banjo rally is held.

When I arrived early Thursday afternoon, I was the only trailer in the RV park. An Airstream motorhome came in a few minutes later (another banjo player). Even at the peak of the weekend, there were 8 or 10 empty spaces there.

I only passed one Airstream on the road, though I saw quite a few parked here and there. I saw one vintage 'stream with no obvious for sale sign, but parked by the road in a way that I would expect it to be for sale. I'll post its whereabouts in the for sale forum. Maybe someone would lik to check it out.

I'll have to take a look at your photos and see what you are referring to.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-06-2002, 02:53 PM   #58
Contributing Member

Back bumper

I removed the bumper today and bumped out the dent that I received in a parking lot in Oklahoma. Four very stubborn phillips-head screws and it was off so that I could work on it.

I used a mallet and a piece of oak to bump out the dent. I then used rubbing compound to remove some embeded red paint.

I now have a smooth, shiny spot in place of the dent. I hope that it oxidizes to match the rest of the bumper.
WBCCI #9632
Old 09-06-2002, 03:22 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
bumper tie-down

Hi John,
this picture will show you what I meant. It's kinda rusty in picture but...this is better than velcro strips.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc01983.jpg
Views:	771
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	521  
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2002, 04:40 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

2002 22' International
Folsom , California
Send a message via MSN to rbyrnesanmateo
laminate and shower head

Hi John,

Well, in speaking with a customer service rep about the laminate chipping off, we found out that assembly had a bad batch of glue, but they didn't know which batch, so in so many words or less - they are just waiting to see which folks complain.

In any case, I told my husband that I cannot stand that shower head, so we may end up replacing it all together.

Tags
2003 international