Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > International > 2002 - 2005 International
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-26-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Wilmington , Delaware
2002 22' International AS - My first AS

I'm about to buy a 22' 2002 International AS from a reputable Airstream dealer. I haven't seen the unit firsthand, just digital photos. I have inspected the very same model in another dealership within a few days of finding this one.

Is this a lemon going back on the market?

Hoping to get a lot of advice from other owners. (Maybe the previous owners?) I know that anything used is, well, used. What I'm hoping to learn is what to look for and what to expect.

I have seen threads from other owners of the 2002 22' International and hope they will share their info with me.

Thanks
Trailertroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 07:47 PM   #2
Rivet Master

On the other hand, used can be better than new if niggling problems from the factory have been dealt with.

Congradulations, and good luck!

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 08:02 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1994 25' Excella
Wilmington , Delaware
2002 22' Airstream - My first AS

Thanks.

It's the niggling part that I'm concerned about. The dealer tells me that the original owners have traded up to a 28' International CCD. This is a good sign, right?

I'm asking for help inspecting the unit. What to expect. What looks bad. I have followed the Airstream forum long enough to know I'll have my hands full. But what are the big things? What should I look for and at first?

Part of the allure is the knowledge and experience to be gained as an owner. I'm not afraid of a screwdriver and wrench. What I am afraid of is towing it 200 miles home and discovering - OH MY GOD!! - I should've looked at.....

Come on. I'm about to join the club. (Groucho Marx said he'd never join a club that would have him for a member!) Warn me. Scare me. Put me back in reality. Tell me the unabashed truth. What disaster should I be prepared for?

I'm still gonna own an Airstream.

But is this the one?
Trailertroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 11:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
On the other hand, used can be better than new if niggling problems from the factory have been dealt with.
I agree! I think this unit is just broken in (hittin' it's stride). I'll bet the PO's used the unit long enough to realize it wasn't large enough for their comfort or lifestyle. I just purchased at 2004 22' CCD in March, and I've had some of the same thoughts myself. The key areas to consider for comfort are the bed and shower/toilet. If you can live with these, the 22' CCD is right for you. As far as QC, our 2004 was outstanding. The only thing I wish I had done at purchase is view the roof. Our roof plumbing vent has a cap that is offset....which I don't know if this is normal, or whether we hit it with a tree branch to offset it. I would also ask for a new battery with the unit, as you do not know how the battery was cared for. We are newbies at this, so we will be adding posts as we learn new things about our A/S. These are my thoughts so far!
Good Luck!

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:21 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntetreault

I'm asking for help inspecting the unit. What to expect. What looks bad. I have followed the Airstream forum long enough to know I'll have my hands full. But what are the big things? What should I look for and at first?
Most of the issues that are discussed on these forums simply have not had time to develop on a coach just two - three years old. I suppose floor rot is theoretically possible, but it is extremely unlikely. Same for bad axles. Do check for leaks, and if found, look for any resultant damage.

I think the more important thing would be a thorough check of all the systems to make sure they work properly. The dealer should set it up for inspection with the refrigerator and water heater on and operating, and the other appliances ready to test.

The CCD is a different animal. No belly insulation, as I recall. Wet bath. But pretty high "cool" factor. Only you can answer the question "Is it right for you?".

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2002 international