Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Bluffton , South Carolina
'01 Excella Slideout Owners???

Hay, I want to hear about your slideout stories?? I love this model and have been working on it for several years now.

I have stated some up grades, as a StainlessSteel galley backsplash, disc brake conversion, Hensley hitch, and new wood floors soon. I've managed to damaged the carpet in the kitchen/hall way, so a new maple floor is in the works. At least I can sweep out the hall way and don't have to wash the rug. I'm also changing all the running lights to LED. It will be $200+ but should be worth it in the long haul. Bulbs burn out and the water leaks into the lens covers too.

What have been your favorate projects???
fred bartlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:57 PM   #2

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
That's the trailer that got me interested in purchasing an Airstream. I am curious because we didn't want as much carpet and attempted to delete the carpet at build time in the area of the slide. Airstream wouldn't do it because they said that the stainless steel rollers that the slide out used would cause wear marks on a bare floor. That's why carpet was there.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

We special ordered a 2004 30ft Slideout with out carpet under the slide,the slide floor itself the dinette is carpet but the floor fron the bathroom to nose is wood look vinyl floor , I have peered under the slide from inside looking for lost ball bearings and the vinyl is cut out under the slide. The floor was not installed well from the factory and had cut/tears objects underneath , Airstream made it right and we are happy with the all vinyl floor.
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 07:46 PM   #4

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdair
We special ordered a 2004 30ft Slideout with out carpet under the slide,the slide floor itself the dinette is carpet but the floor fron the bathroom to nose is wood look vinyl floor , I have peered under the slide from inside looking for lost ball bearings and the vinyl is cut out under the slide. The floor was not installed well from the factory and had cut/tears objects underneath , Airstream made it right and we are happy with the all vinyl floor.
We did our order in September 2003 and were turned down flat. Interesting that you were able to do it and Jackson Center said no to us. Maybe it depends on who took the request. Now we can see where the rollers hit the carpet when the slide moves out. If we take the vaccum over it, the crush marks come out easily.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 09-17-2007, 05:38 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

We took delivery August 03 of our 04 perhaps after having done Ours they felt another not warranted , We complained immedialty about the floor damage although due to our schedule it was several months till it went back.The floor damage was not a slide issue put quality control cleaning issue. We have not had any problems since with the floor. As a matter of info when we where at the factory to fix the floor the wife exspessed an interest in pergo flooring replacement and the factory allmost went with it to appease Our anger over the qaulity of the first floor. There where some issues they where concerend with doing as a retro fit versus had it had pergo from the start so just vinyl replacement.
S/OS #010
Old 06-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Wood floor for galley area

After five years of camping, the fully carpeted floor in the galley area has gotten very dirty and never has worked well. So I shopped for a natural maple flooring to match the maple cabinets and found an engineered(plywood) plank flooring. It can be nailed or glued down, and I glued and stapled it for good measure.

The first problem with this install, is the slide out will push over the wood floor when its in and will not want to slide on that surface, so I only cut into the carpet at the refer point and continued around to the door way. It seems that AS will not install this way but I find it a good compromise. The depth of the plank is only 3/8" and the carpet is a full 5/8".

I measured and cut out the carpet and pad, leaving extra to roll under the finished edge next to wood floor. I could not buy the trim I needed to finish the wood plank, so I made a solid wood edge myself. I found that gluing and nailing do not mix but I managed to get it done by only installing a single plank at a time. I installed in a pattern that one can see by the pictures and made it all that much harder but looks great.

Triming out was almost as much fun. I had to make my own shoe trim, and finished it before installing. A coat of wax to clean up and this is what it looks like.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010042.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	514.6 KB
ID:	62157   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010041.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	590.0 KB
ID:	62158  

Name:	P1010040.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	62159   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010039.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	62160  

Name:	P1010037.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	447.9 KB
ID:	62162   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010038.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	62166  

Old 08-18-2008, 09:50 PM   #7
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Fred,

I loved this post. Great job on the floor install. I too have a 30' S/O 70th anniversary edition. I just installed "traffic master" maple flooring in the trailer. This product is new and about the thickness of linoleum. Each strip glues to the other like pergo. I am reading your post and starting to worry. The previous owner removed the carpeting and installed cheap ugly linoleum and it had to go. I didnt see any marks on the flooring from the slide and didnt consider that it might make contact with any rollers? I went from the bathroom to the front coach. I am afraid to roll in the slide at this point? should i be?

Thanks Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2001 31' Excella
Vinnie, I might try using something in front of the slide before you move it in. Because I didn't remove the carpet in front of the slide, my wood floor has remained purfect and no slide roller marks. I was ready to use something on the floor to protect it from the rollers but l was lucky. You can't travel with it out, so try a piece of vynl or carpet scrap to move it in on. Good luck and post some more pictures of your project.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:38 PM   #9
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Slide operation after flooring install

Hello Fred,

I operated the slide tonight and watched the way it moves. The rollers are mounted in the flooring and the slide moves over them as it comes in. There doesnt seem to be anything that contacts the flooring as there is atleast 1/2 inch of clearance. I must have misunderstood your post and thought that there were rollers on the slide itself and they would try to climb over the flooring as it makes its way in. I will get some pictures up soon. i am just waiting on new hull liner to go around the front then the couch goes back in and i can work my way back.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:53 AM   #10

Fenton , Missouri
I'll have to look closer at mine. I know at build time I specifically asked for no carpet and was told no by the factory because of the slide unit being on rollers. I know that on the rear side of my slide I can see crush marks in the carpet which would support the theory that the slide unit does ride on some type of roller. If it was floating over the carpet, there really shouldn't be any depression.

Maybe they have used a couple of different concepts over time?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 08-21-2008, 04:04 PM   #11
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thats interesting. Maybe there are a few different concepts. Infact if the rollers were on the slide itself it seems that it would have better support to hold the weight when its all the way in vs. the stress to the outside wall and structure when hitting bumps. I do have supports that have to be placed in between the wall and the slide when in motion. Maybe to keep the bouncing down to a minimum. I will look again but i didnt see anything coming in contact with the floor. I do know that when attempting to slide out from the completely closed position the slide moves only 1 inch at a time until its out about 5 inches and then it slides consistently until all the way out. Thats a problem im sure. Will be digging into that? Overvoltage, binding?? not sure about how the slide was treated by the last owner.

Thanks Vinnie. Good dialogue

Old 08-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

The rollers on My 04 are attached to the slide. I haven't looked underneath lately to see if they are wearing/rubbing on the subfloor. I do feel the ball bearings I lost under the vinyl and need to try to roll them out and get with a magnet after they are in the open area under the slide. The bearings came from not latching the dinette drawer fulling and the drawer slide came apart in transport and lost the bearings.I had no signs where the bearings where for a couple years and now can feel them if I check the floor with hand. Jack I am still guessing after completing My trailer they elected to not accept Your order for full vinyl floor as it must have not turned out the way they liked. I am still happy with mine and see no issues as of yet other that the initial quality problem caused by the factory not cleaning well and rivet bits where under the vinyl and there where cuts evident in the surface on delivery.
S/OS #010
Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 PM   #13
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
I think the concept is probably better on your 04 and thats why they made the change. Infact if you think about the supports being placed behind the facia of the slide and the inside wall when you hit a bump the slide will still dip toward the floor and wear things out. Just a thought but maybe mine needs to be secured under the lip of the front drawer supports when in transport. I hate to rethink their concept but i plan on owning this unit for many years and want to extend its life. Maybe it gets supported there and on the upper facia. Not sure.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:10 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Well I took a side trim piece off the dinette and there is a roller attached to to floor.I didn't really peer underneath to see if my earlier statement that I observed rollers attached to the floor was valid. Based on memory and Jacks carpet crush observation there must be.I did get out the objects under the vinyl there was there bearings I knew about and rivet remains as well as a screw.
S/OS #010
Old 08-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #15
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Well.. thats good info. The flooring would have looked great all the way up to the couch but as i look at the pictures again i do like the contrast in the flooring with the carpet towards the front of the coach separating the kitchen from the forward area. Great job.

Vinnie

Old 08-29-2008, 11:18 PM   #16
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Does the S/O drive motor sense if there is too much drag on the slide while operating outwards and stop supply voltage to the motor? Im wondering because when i operate the slide it only moves about an inch and then stops and when i hit the switch again it repeats the same cycle about 3 or 4 times until it starts moving normally and extends outwards to the stop. Coming in its fine. The slide appears to line up fine from the outside and it looks good and even when it comes into rest. This unit was in dealer inventory for several years and used by the owner (not sure how kind they were to it.) I know when i picked up the trailer the slide was open and the jacks were not down. Should i open a new topic on this issue? anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks Vinnie

Old 08-30-2008, 05:36 PM   #17

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Does the S/O drive motor sense if there is too much drag on the slide while operating outwards and stop supply voltage to the motor? Im wondering because when i operate the slide it only moves about an inch and then stops and when i hit the switch again it repeats the same cycle about 3 or 4 times until it starts moving normally and extends outwards to the stop. Coming in its fine. The slide appears to line up fine from the outside and it looks good and even when it comes into rest. This unit was in dealer inventory for several years and used by the owner (not sure how kind they were to it.) I know when i picked up the trailer the slide was open and the jacks were not down. Should i open a new topic on this issue? anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks Vinnie
Vinnie, I've not encountered that issue before but if it is happening consistantly my gut feeling is that you might be correct that some type of drag is going on. Obviously the dealer should have put the jacks down before extending the slide. Maybe some lube is in order. I remember my manual said something about lube. I've never done it though but our trailer isn't out a lot and it's stored in a nice dry inside environment.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 08-30-2008, 08:31 PM   #18
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thanks Jack,
I see that there is a panel down under the slide area under the trailer. I think I will take that down and see how it all works. Maybe I can have someone operate it while i see it slide. If it appears to bind i will spray something on it to see if that makes a change in the operation. If it does then maybe there is a better grease to correct it longer. I hope that there isnt a big problem due to the twisting of the coach as the jacks were not down. I hope i hope. As I dig into things I see that there will be hours and hours of fun correcting things that need attention. My wife wasnt a big fan of this purchase but she will warm up to it. I have to be really quiet about all the problems and just fix them secretly (ha ha) otherwise i will take a lot of heat.
Airstream is in my blood now. I will keep you updated

Vinnie