RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-19-2012, 03:56 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
We just bought our '95 Sovereign 21ft last Monday! Itching to try and take it on a short trip this weekend to test it out.

It's in great condition, besides some headliner sagging...

Flex: I'd love to find out how big of a job it was replacing the carpet with cork tiles. Do you have more info you can provide us with?
Thanks!
jornvango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:22 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hi....NICE Airstream. I did the floor in my 21. It was a JOB. cutting all the carpet out from under the furniture and wall sections. I did under the bed too....and the carpet had to be removed there too. The end result was super. I did use a special trunk carpet as an area rug by the back access door to keep things from marking the cork and soiling things. Now, the headliner is another problem. Not an easy fix. Search the forums for guidance....but rest assured, you cant just glue it up.
Old 10-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #43
Martin

1995 21' Sovereign
Arroyo Grande , California
Suzzeee, sorry I missed your post. I have measured and due to the size of my solar panel, i am out of real estate on the roof. I also think that due to number of times we camp under trees, that a portable dish is more suitable. Thanks much, Marty
Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 AM   #44
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhawke View Post
Suzzeee, sorry I missed your post. I have measured and due to the size of my solar panel, i am out of real estate on the roof. I also think that due to number of times we camp under trees, that a portable dish is more suitable. Thanks much, Marty
n/p -- we went portable too on the DISH setup - he got that Tailgater set up and it's working out great --

https://www.facebook.com/starlettediary
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
We just bought a 1995 21' Sovereigon. It needs some TLC, but we have big plans and a decent budget to make it something to be proud of!
Cyberous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberous View Post
We just bought a 1995 21' Sovereigon. It needs some TLC, but we have big plans and a decent budget to make it something to be proud of!
Congrats - did you buy that one that just sold on Ebay? We love ours and have her all customized so if we can help you out with any questions, just holler -- ours is a 1992. We're located in the Bay Area so not all that far from you -- we have a great guy in Benecia who does most of our work!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
Capitola , California
I live in No CA and haves 94 Sovereign. Does your Benicia connection work on the outside? We have to get the clear coat redone.
smattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
Suzzeee, as a mater of fact we did but the one on ebay. (The one in California, there was another in Ohio up for auction at the same time)
It was located up in Tracy so we took a drive the Sunday before the auction ended and spent a few hours with the owners looking it over. They were a really nice older couple, second owners but had owned it since 1997. They obviously cared for it to the best of their ability. I think they were happy we won the bid as they know we will make something special of it.
No surprise I had our truck gassed up and ready to go as soon as the auction ended! We went straight to the bank for the money and then we took the 2 hour drive to Tracy and brought her home the same night!

The clear coat is shot on her so we have decided to go fully polished. We have calls into two people for quotes. (We have a second "side business" storing RV's and boats inside 1/2 of our warehouse that our primary Sheet Metal and Powder Coating business is also in, so we are lucky enough to be able to keep it inside when it's not in use)
The back window was broken and replaced with plexiglass as a patch, I'm going to need to find a real window some where.
The headliner is falling down so we plan to pull most of the interior out to replace the ceiling with aluminum sheet, replace the carpets with something more dog friendly, and replace the counter tops with updated Corian. We figure it's going to be a few month project, we have a deadline of mid June to have it ready for a week long trip... We'll see how it goes!

Smattson, what is a "Benicia connection"? Sorry we're new to AS!

So that makes three 21 footers in our general area! We'll need to get them all together at some point, maybe the Marina event later this year?

~Mark
Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 AM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by smattson View Post
I live in No CA and haves 94 Sovereign. Does your Benicia connection work on the outside? We have to get the clear coat redone.
He does and I've seen some of the Airstreams he's polished and redone - fabulous. Call Avalon RV in Benecia and ask for Adam. Feel free to tell him Susana sent you. We've had him working with us on redoing our Airstream for the last year and a half and it's turned out to be a functional and gorgeous Airstream. He does work for several other forum members too. I'm looking for a larger one right now. As soon as I find it my plan is to take it right up there for rehab!!

Old 01-31-2013, 12:48 AM   #50
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Quote:
Suzzeee, as a mater of fact we did but the one on ebay. (The one in California, there was another in Ohio up for auction at the same time)
It was located up in Tracy so we took a drive the Sunday before the auction ended and spent a few hours with the owners looking it over. They were a really nice older couple, second owners but had owned it since 1997. They obviously cared for it to the best of their ability. I think they were happy we won the bid as they know we will make something special of it.
No surprise I had our truck gassed up and ready to go as soon as the auction ended! We went straight to the bank for the money and then we took the 2 hour drive to Tracy and brought her home the same night!

The clear coat is shot on her so we have decided to go fully polished. We have calls into two people for quotes. (We have a second "side business" storing RV's and boats inside 1/2 of our warehouse that our primary Sheet Metal and Powder Coating business is also in, so we are lucky enough to be able to keep it inside when it's not in use)
The back window was broken and replaced with plexiglass as a patch, I'm going to need to find a real window some where.
headliner is falling down so we plan to pull most of the interior out to c the ceiling with aluminum sheet, replace the carpets with something a dog friendly, and replace the counter tops with updated Corian. We figure it's going to be a few month project, we have a deadline of mid June to have it ready for a week long trip... We'll see how it goes!

Smattson, what is a "Benicia connection"? Sorry we're new to AS!

So that makes three 21 footers in our general area! We'll need to get them all together at some point, maybe the Marina event later this year?

~Mark
Awesome - you will love your new baby!! Our headliner was in perfect condition but we ended up putting an aluminum strip down the center and all new updated lighting and it looks really cool!! We put Marmoleum on the floor and used Wilsonart laminate on the kitchen counter and Wilsonart solid surface on the bath sink counter. Would be fun to get together. What's the Marina event and when/where? We'll be at the Casini Ranch Rally coming up in April too.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:02 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Here are a couple of pics.... Flooring is Marmoleum - counters all Wilsonart -- the alum ceiling is really hard to photograph plus I think we forgot to wipe it down before this pic - it really looks nice with the new glass/metal lighting (found that online - light above bath sink is a regular light converted to 12v) I spent hours and hours sourcing things for this remodel so super happy to share -- feel free to ask away! I seriously can't wait to get started on our next one... I see a collection starting

One tip -- when replacing the kitchen counter do the sink at the same time if you think you will want a new sink and/or faucet...we didn't because at the time we had just bought her and we didn't think we were going to get as crazy with the remodel as we did .. flash forward a year and I really wanted a new deeper sink but ended up settling for just a new faucet because it was going to cost about $700 to rip out the brand new counter and redo it...again The last pic is our new faucet...old sink
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen Counter (5).jpg
Views:	162
Size:	312.1 KB
ID:	177787   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bath Sink Area 2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	177788  

Name:	PC080003.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	177789   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ceiling Alum.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	177790  

Name:	Faucet New (2).jpg
Views:	166
Size:	254.4 KB
ID:	177791  

Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
Wow the ceiling looks great!

Looks like the Marina event is at the end of April. Here is the link:

Airstream Forums - Cal Streamers spring rally
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
That alu ceiling does look great. How is it attached to the ceiling?
Old 02-01-2013, 09:30 AM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Austin , Texas
I also like the look of the sleeper sofa: did you install a new one? We're looking to reupholster ours, but like the wood look better on the drawer underneath.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:13 AM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by jornvango View Post
I also like the look of the sleeper sofa: did you install a new one? We're looking to reupholster ours, but like the wood look better on the drawer underneath.
Thanks! The previous owner had taken the fabric off the bottom drawers (he split it into two drawers because his girlfriend had a hard time pulling out the one long drawer) -- I'm not sure if the wood fronts were under the fabric or if he added those but they match the cabinets exactly -- we then had the sofa part redone -- I wanted a more modern style so I found a pic of one I liked on Pottery Barn's website and gave that and the chocolate brown ultrasuede fabric I'd bought to our upholsterer and she worked her magic -- it's all new foam as well! We were super happy with the way it turned out!!

Old 02-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #56
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Hi, My understanding is that fully polishing brushed aluminum like the kind we have is not an option. It's a fundamentally different material to earlier Airstreams. However, if the oxidation has gone too far, then check out this thread for what I believe will be your best option.

Until I saw this thread, I didn't think I'd ever consider it, but after seeing how well it came out, I would. Maintaining clear coat is a major hassle. I managed to redo ours before it got too bad. The guy who did the work is Dick McIntyre near Eugene, OR... widely respected among Airstreamers and did an excellent job on ours in 2006. (Contact info available upon request.) When it starts peeling, I'll go the way of the paint can.

All the best, Nick
Nicksut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #57
Martin

1995 21' Sovereign
Some Photos of my interior upgrade

I enjoyed seeing the photos of Suzzee's upgrade.

My wife Sandra and I have a 1995 21' Sovereign. Our goal with our remodel was to modernize; make the interior space feel larger; maintain or reduce weight.

We started by removing the old pleated drapes and valences that make the interior seem smaller and darker than it is. We replaced the drapes with roll-up heavy cotton sun shades. We painted some of the faux-wood with light colored paint to make the inside seem larger and brighter.

We replaced the original kitchen counter top with LG Surfaces light colored material that looks like granite but is light weight and requires on plywood backing.

We removed the old Dometic range/oven and replaced it with a Thetford cooktop and Cuisinart microwave/convection oven combo. We replaced the small double sink with a round one you can actually get pots and pans in to wash. We gained counter top space in the process.

We replaced the original sink in the lavatory with a Vessel sink and fancy, schmancy waterfall faucet. Clean, modern look and increases the counter top surface which is much more practical.

We replace the faux-wood panels on the 2-door refrigerator/freezer with stainless.

The original fabric on the sofa was reupholstered with gray wool.

The end result is the perception of much more room inside with the modern look and feel of the sinks, cooktop and counters that work well in our '90's vintage beauty.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Living room.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	178644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kitchen wide.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	302.9 KB
ID:	178645  

Name:	Vessel sink.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	178646   Click image for larger version

Name:	Looking forward from BR.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	304.3 KB
ID:	178647  

Old 02-10-2013, 12:55 AM   #58
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Nice job mHawke -- I especially love the round sink in the kitchen! That is my one regret ...when we started changing things we thought we were going to stick to our original budget so I used the existing sink and the PO had replaced the faucet and it was okay...well fast forward a year of using it (and of throwing our orig. budget out the window) and I realize what a pain that divided shallow sink is and of course I can't find a larger deeper one that will drop into the space in the new countertop so we had to either live with it or replace the countertop...again. I decided, I'd get a new faucet and live with the sink... on our next remodel we're going with a larger deeper sink for sure!! I like how you offset the faucet too!

Old 02-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #59
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1995 21' Sovereign
Hollister , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicksut View Post
Hi, My understanding is that fully polishing brushed aluminum like the kind we have is not an option.
I see people post this, however then I see pictures that disagree.

Soyboy has a 1999 that he has polished and posted many pictures of, true it's not quite as "deep" of a shine as an older unit but it still sparkles and would be a HUGE improvement over our current finish!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...one-88529.html
Old 02-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #60
Martin

1995 21' Sovereign
Marty and Sandra's remodel

Here a few more photos............

To hide the switch plate on/off switch for the inverter that was surprisingly mounted in the middle of the wall on the right corner of the living room, we used a light weight, frame-less picture mounted using velcro to the carpeted wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Sink close-up.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	315.7 KB
ID:	178687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Refrigerator long shot.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	178688  

Name:	Range and microwave.jpg