Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2016, 09:09 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Winter Haven , Florida
About to jump in

I Found what looks like very good 93 Sovereign at a fair price. Going to look at it over the weekend. Total neophyte and need advice. What are the primary "Red Flags" I should look for with regards to AS trailers and maybe the Sovereign 21 in particular? I've been told all systems work good, no leaks, solid flooring, a good number of improvements have been made and some nice upgrades completed and it has clear title. I will be living, traveling in this trailer for next 9-12 months. Any advice or suggestions when I look this trailer over would be appreciated.
oceanicdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanicdb View Post
I Found what looks like very good 93 Sovereign at a fair price. Going to look at it over the weekend. Total neophyte and need advice. What are the primary "Red Flags" I should look for with regards to AS trailers and maybe the Sovereign 21 in particular? I've been told all systems work good, no leaks, solid flooring, a good number of improvements have been made and some nice upgrades completed and it has clear title. I will be living, traveling in this trailer for next 9-12 months. Any advice or suggestions when I look this trailer over would be appreciated.
What type tow vehicle do you have ?.
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Winter Haven , Florida
In next week or so I will be getting tow vehicle. Had a F150 at one time, but considering how often I will be towing etc., thinking of something a bit bigger and diesel. Either way, I will make sure it has full tow package and figuring about 6,000 loaded. Probably have another 400-500 in bed with gear etc.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:57 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Winter Haven , Florida
Suggestions on best tow vehicle for this size/weight are appreciated. I'm not married to one brand versus the other but definitely a truck.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, a 21' trailer is pretty light so any half-ton would tow it easily. The Ram 1500 with the small diesel would probably work well and owners report excellent mileage, especially when not towing, but mind the payload.

Pretty much anyone else's 1/2 ton will work fine so you might shop for the best deal. I am partial to Nissan and Toyota but you stated you have no preference. Just get whatever you buy with the towing package as it will be cheaper than outfitting a truck that isn't so equipped.

As for the trailer, take an awl or an ice pick with you and probe the floor, especially around the walls. Check the dates on the tires, determine when the brakes were last checked and bearings repacked.

Is the wd gear coming with the sale? If not, that is a whole different discussion...

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:12 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Winter Haven , Florida
Ok, going to show my absolute ignorance here...Or maybe I am just slow...but do not know the acronym for "wd". Also, I like Toyota just fine. Had a strong 4 runner that went 200K +. Driving a Highlander at moment but trading it in on the truck. First time in life, leaning toward diesel. Will be going over mountains in both CO and NM.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:01 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1994 21' Sovereign
The high country. Black Mountain range. , North Carolina
Private message sent.
JaynEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:04 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Well, all the diesels (as well as the Ecoboost gasser) are turbocharged so altitude is not an issue. Personally I don't think it is necessary as I've towed my 8000# Sovereign all to heck and back with a normally aspirated Nissan Titan (some 65000 miles now with no problems whatsoever). But if you are leaning diesel, go diesel. You might peek at the Nissan Titan XD with the Cummins 5.0 liter diesel.

WD is weight distribution. Basically, you don't just drop the trailer on your hitch ball and roll off. Weight distribution hitches use a variety of methods to essentially lever some of the trailer's tongue weight back to the trailer axles and forward to the tow vehicles front axle. Some (especially those with 3/4 ton or greater diesels) don't bother but most of us think it is not only necessary but vital. Almost all weight distributing hitches provide sway control as well -- some with friction devices, some with various torque inducing designs. Crosswinds, passing semis, abrupt maneuvers and even some unusual road surfaces can induce a self reinforcing oscillation of the towed vehicle that can result in a total loss of control. This is bad.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:55 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2015 22' FB Sport
Indianapolis , Indiana
I have a 22FB and pull it with a BMW X5. Very nice.
Jim Arnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:54 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanicdb View Post
Seems that this has become a TV thread, but to address the original question, I would recommend downloading the "buyer's inspection checklist" from the Portal page. If you can go through that entire list, you will have inspected for the most common problems. Probably the biggest concern in any age or length of trailer is leaks (yes they all leak, even if the PO thinks it doesn't), and especially leaks that have not been attended to and allowed cause floor rot (they always rot under cabinets and behind furniture, so rot may not be obvious). Replacement of any appliance can get expensive, but major floor/frame repairs will be the deal breakers in my mind. Where is the trailer located?

Good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 06:33 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Winter Haven , Florida
Undercarriage

Does anyone have any pics of the undercarriage of a typical, good Sovereign 21? Want to see mountings, debris shield. Also, how many if any leveling jacks came with the Sovereign? Thanks for the info.