Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1974 - 1977 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2015, 06:22 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Syracuse , New York
Looking for input on a potential purchase of '75 Overlander

Hi All,

I am looking for input on a 1975 Overlander I looked at. What I know....

1. Everything is supposed to work, but the only thing I've confirmed operational is the AC. Water system, heater, water pump, stove, oven, etc have not been confirmed to be operational.

2. Drivers front left belly pan had water leaking from a small hole.

3. Driver's front curved window had water between the panes of glass.

4. Passenger Front window was shattered and will need to replaced.

5. Floor seemed nice and solid.

6. It has been parked since 2008. Used on a regular basis, just not moved.

7. Interior is largely intact and well maintained and cared for.

8. Toilet has been replaced with an aftermarket unit.

9. As you can see in some of the pics, the frame near the steps need some attention.

10. Axles will need to be replaced as they never have been and the angle on the arm was indicative of being shot.

Here is a link to the photos. I'll apologize in advance for some of the blurry ones.

https://goo.gl/photos/P8C9u39DkaWyvEbP6

I am hoping a few of the resident experts can review the photo's and point any concerning points they may have. I didn't take pics of the interior as that wasn't overly concerning to me. I was more concerned with the "bones". I am most concerned about the condition of the frame once the belly pan is dropped especially in light of the water dripping out of the belly pan.

Thanks for your time!

Nate
fullahotair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 05:48 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Victor , New York
Commenting to follow
mprokop87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hold up on your deal

We really can't tell much from photos....but, they do give big hints. Your in an area where some excellent ...KNOWLEDGABLE....people are. Where you have complete rust out at the frame/outrigger, as shown in the step photos, and you have water dripping out of a corroded hole in the pan, you now have to look before you leap. The windows and front panel damage are of concern too...if not from just the expense involved. Personally, I see nearly 5000 dollars needed to make it right. There is just way to much to be checked, for a novice to assume is OK. Please have it checked, then decide.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I agree the photos don't tell much other than it looks typical for it's agree. Beware of the famous last words "everything works". Expect to put in 2 or 3 times the money you think you need. And last but not least what is the asking price?
Old 09-21-2015, 08:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums.

As mentioned above, it is hard to say anything about the trailer aside from the fact that it looks like most 40+ year old trailers that have never had any major restoration work done. That is to say, there is a lot of work to be done here before the trailer will be safe and sound.

So here are some questions for you:
What is the asking price?
What is your intended use?
What is your budget for the project?
How handy are you?
Do you want to spend your time camping or working on a trailer?

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullahotair View Post
Hi All,

I was more concerned with the "bones". I am most concerned about the condition of the frame once the belly pan is dropped especially in light of the water dripping out of the belly pan.

Thanks for your time!

Nate
I would be very concerned too. Given the water leak in the front and probably leak in the back I would guess that at the very least the plywood flooring is gone all around the edges. That would be best case. Worst case is that large parts of the frame have rusted away as well which would mean a shell off and probably frame restoration or frame replacement. Neither of which is easy or cheap. Then youve got the axles to replace, the broken windows and maybe a good percentage of the appliances. The water heater does look relatively new though.

This is a 1-2k trailer that needs probably 10-15k worth of work. Are you in for that? It comes from a fairly wet climate and has sat for the last 7 years. If you are looking for a blank slate and a couple of years project, then this may be it. Otherwise move along and find something with some potential.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 10:40 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Syracuse , New York
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.

Response to some of the questions.

1. I agree the pics don't show much, but the with belly pan installed, its really difficult to assess much of anything with respect to the frame and underpinnings. The floor felt solid and i didn't see any portions of subfloor that suggested it wasn't solid. Obviously there are alot of portions one simply can't see. I tried to look in every nook and cranny.

2. Agreed - in that unless a system is confirmed operational, i wouldn't assume or offer a price as if it was.

3. Asking price was $7500

4. Budget wise - sub $10 K and the closer to free the better! In all seriousness, the price needs to reflect the quality of the trailer i am buying. I do a lot of work on old cars, so I fully understand the saying "cheap now isn't cheap later".

5. Skill wise, although new to Airstreams, nothing on it mechanically is scary to me. I did a complete frame resto on a muscle car...so the Airstream shouldn't be any worse or more complicated.

6. Intended use - I would like it to be reliable enough to take across the country to stay at some national parks as well as some local adventures with my 2 dogs.

7. I don't mind renovating a trailer as long as the price is reflective of what I am buying. Ideally though I would like it to be road worthy with good "bones", and I can update as I choose too or at least be intact, so I am not nickle and dimed to death for misc. parts and pieces.

All this brings me to couple questions...Without dropping the belly pan, how can you get any idea of what the frame is like on these trailers? I know in the car world, that in some instances, you find a "problem spot" you can sometimes correlate it to culprit somewhere else in the car. Or there are some "first to rot out or rust " spots on some cars where if you find that spot rust free, you can be fairly certain the rest of the car is solid.

Thanks again for the input. This is very helpful in trying to get a feel for what $$$ I am looking at. I've done a lot of reading and research thus far, but this forum and your reponses have been a huge help.

Nate
Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I would say it is worth maybe half what he is asking. You have a project. This is not a camp ready trailer or anywhere near close. You are probably looking a total gut and refurb. I paid $5k for mine and it was in a lot better shape than that and it still took a couple years about about $10k to fix it up and I am still replacing stuff as it fails. The first thing someone is going to say is to replace the axles but that is last on my list. It does not need them till it is road worthy otherwise and some folks don't get that far.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 06:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
We paid less than half the asking price for ours and it appears that it was in better shape and we still put $12k into it plus sweat equity. So be prepared for a lot of work no matter what you decide to do.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:41 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Syracuse , New York
Thanks everyone. I've decided to pass on this trailer and continue my search!

Nate