Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1974 - 1977 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-18-2009, 09:31 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Fredericton , New Brunswick
Looking for Advise on Possible Purchase

Hi folks, my first post. I've never owned anything bigger than a soft-top tent trailer so know next to nothing about what to look for in a used trailer. I'm looking at a 1975, 27 ft Airstream in quite bad shape. Mice have had their way with it for some time, the frige and heater don't work, some outlets don't work, cupboard doors are broken, upper window blinds seem to be seized, door step broken. I'm thinking about making an offer, but would like to know what potential problem areas to look for before I do. It is on a cottage lot and hasn't moved for 10-15 years. I simply want to move it a few hundred yards up the road to my cottage where I would use it as a guest house, at least for the time being. Is there any wood that would be likely to rot? Is the frame subject to rust, or is it aluminum? Where is the most likely place where mice could gain access? All advice gratefully accepted.
gerry303ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:19 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

The Airstream that you describe most likely has rotted wooden subfloors, bad axles, brakes, and tires, a rusted, rotted frame. You will be taking on a humongous job.

I am not trying to discourage you, but you will need to be able to do all or most of the work yourself because having that much work done professionally would probably cost substantially more than the trailer would be worth when you are done.

If you can post some photos of the Airstream you are looking at so that we can assess the condition and necessary work.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
You can almost guarantee that the sub floor is shot. With that you might have some troubles with the metal frame. Also I would imagine that the wheel wells have probably rusted through. I have a 76 and it appeared to be in good shape until I pulled up the carpet. All of this work can be done but it is time consuming. This is the best place to research how to fix it. I used the forum advice for all my major repairs.
Good luch
rollingbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:48 PM   #4

Currently Looking...
I was afraid there might have been wood rot, although I didn't think to look for it when I was there. I just heard that someone from Montreal flew in to look at it but left saying they would have to pay him to take it away. I'll have a closer look next time I'm there, now that I have an idea what to look for. Thanks.
Old 08-18-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Mice? Did you say mice? If there is evidence of them...you've got a huge problem with getting rid of the mess they leave behind. They tend to make themselves at home in the insulation of the floor & walls....getting rid of any "mousey-smell" will be impossible without removing all the old insulation between the skins & floor, wood, fabrics, foam, etc. To not get rid of it and "just live with it" could pose a health problem...actually getting rid of the mess also could. Yuck!

Oh yeah, welcome to the forums...if you do decide to take on this project (or another), there are lots of folks here to help you along the way.

Sounds to me, unless this trailer is "free" or close to it, you might be paying too much. Check this link out for some info on what to expect with both the price & repair costs...and what to look at when you go inspect it again.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:42 PM   #6

Currently Looking...
I can't seem to get rid of the underline and can't figure out how to post photos of the trailer. The trailer has been in the same spot longer than I thought. The license plate is 1991. If you would like to see the photos I can e-mail them. Contact me at : gerry303ca@yahoo.com
Old 08-21-2009, 06:03 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
Dayton , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Alwhisman
I think I would move on......lol....unless you dont like the folks who will be staying in it!
Alwhisman is offline   Reply With Quote