Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1974 - 1977 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2016, 08:50 PM   #1

1974 27' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
First Camper

Hi Y'all,

Just bought our first camper..it has been well loved, but clean and seems structurally sound. I would like to make sure that it lasts for a long time and as of right now there is not much to the camper..the previous owner is passing the restoration torch on to me. He said he did not have enough time.

I was planning on taking off the belly pan to inspect and preserve the frame....do I need anything more than a drill and motivation?
Once I have the belly pan removed...how will I know if the frame is in good shape?

Everything on the axle, except the axle was replaced last year....should I preserve the axle?

When I towed it home...the trailer was tilted up, I am assuming it was because I have a newer SUV with air shocks...there is no stabilizer, so I guess I need a new trailer ball set-up, right? Or should I put a 3" lift on the axle? I am kind of hesitant to raise the center of gravity...what do y'all think?

Next I wanted to focus on the gas line, plumbing, and electrical. The furnace is in tact..but does not light, there is no stove....I would like to have both..and have both new/working. What would I need to make sure that we will not have any gas leaks.

Tomorrow I can post pics..but I really want to make sure my camper lasts for several years...any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ervin & Christina
airchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Well, the adventure begins.
To remove the belly pan you'll need a drill and several 1/8" bits. Drill out the center of the rivets. At least that's the way I did it and found it easier than trying to shave off the rivet heads. Once you've got the pan removed you'll need to get rid of all the pink insulation and whatever was living up there. Then you can inspect the frame, which is the weak part of the whole set up. If you're lucky, there'll be a few rust spots and maybe an outrigger that needs to be braced up. If that's the case, clean off the rust, brace the outrigger, and use a product like POR, or something by Rustoleum or whatever to kill the rust, then coat it with a good rust inhibiting paint or pickup bed liner (your choice, lots of different opinions). If you've got frame members rusted though then you also probably have rotted sub floor. Fortunately I have no experience with that.
If the axle was replaced with a new one (not a used one), then that's a good thing - leave it alone. Do check the brakes and bearings.
You should tow the trailer in as level a position as reasonable. Buy a hitch with the proper drop. Check the tires, they should be no more than 4 years old, 5 is pushing it.
Take care of the structural stuff first so it's safe to tow, then move on to plumbing and electrical.
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 10:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
St. Louis , Missouri
The ball on your truck needs to be lowered. Common height is about 18" from the ground to the top of the ball when it's loaded.

There are plenty YouTube videos that give full instructions how to adjust your hitch so your truck and trailer are both level.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Airchasers,

Sound like you found a great trailer (camper) and you are setting out to be safe and have fun.

LOTS of reading here and it will start to make sense. This is a very passionate and opinionated group but also very friendly and eager to share.

Enjoy

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 09:54 PM   #5

1974 27' Overlander
Warner Robins , Georgia
Thanks for the advice

I will post pics tomorrow...I have been busy and have not had time to post pics...

Im glad that the the process of inspecting the frame seems pretty straight forward.

If there is rust...how do you remove the rust...how do you know if there is too much rust?

If there is insulation on the frame...what is the easiest way to remove the material?

Thanks

Ervin
airchasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 11:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by airchasers View Post
I will post pics tomorrow...I have been busy and have not had time to post pics...

Im glad that the the process of inspecting the frame seems pretty straight forward.

If there is rust...how do you remove the rust...how do you know if there is too much rust?

If there is insulation on the frame...what is the easiest way to remove the material?

Thanks

Ervin
You'll need to determine for yourself if the amount of metal the rust has eaten away is detrimental to the integrity of the member. if you determine to your satisfaction that the rust has not damaged the member then sand and use a rust inhibiting primer. Since you're doing the work, you're responsible for the end result. Surface rust is usually not a big deal.
Regarding the insulation, reach up and pull😬 Wear a mask and gloves. It's messy and dirty and itchy and not too much fun
DryFly is offline   Reply With Quote