Old 05-21-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
A/S central control unit Is it worth it and can it be done

In my 1975 27 ft overlander Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2546.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	286032I like to hear the opinion of the Airstreamers that have some experience in this matter, would I be able to make this beauty give us some results again or should I just forget about it?
And another question is since our overlander did not come with a spare tire under the front should I just carry it on my truck or does anybody have a better idea on how to attach it to the Airstream thank you in advance for any suggestion and comments you could help us with

cyclistream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclistream View Post
In my 1975 27 ft overlander Attachment 286032I like to hear the opinion of the Airstreamers that have some experience in this matter, would I be able to make this beauty give us some results again or should I just forget about it?
And another question is since our overlander did not come with a spare tire under the front should I just carry it on my truck or does anybody have a better idea on how to attach it to the Airstream thank you in advance for any suggestion and comments you could help us with
I'm amazed that looks as good as it does. I would restore it.

Either way on the spare tire. I've done both. I like the frame underneath best, but the drawback is that it is underneath. I'll bet half of the people forget to check the air on the spare and that a good portion of those tires are flat.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:52 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
Thanks A W Warn I believe I will but would like to find the company would do the restoration on it, I wonder if Airstream does that.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
If your trailer does not currently have the spare tire carrier under the front in the A frame, then it is very likely that it is already set up for it from the factory nonethless. You should be able to cut away the belly skin in between the arms of the A frame and expose the area where the tire mounts. The only thing you will need is the actual frame that the tire fits on, and these can be purchased new, I believe from places like outofdoorsmart.com. The bolting points are already in place on your frame, so the installation is rather painless.

As for finding a company who will perform the restoration of your control unit, you will likely look pretty long and hard...

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Crawl under and look. The well for the tire may already be there. My '77 Argosy has the well, just no tire carrier. I elected to move the propane tanks forward a couple of inches and mount them on a commercially available stamped metal oval carrier which was much more secure and made a tire carrier to mount the tire between the tanks and the body, but I needed more tongue weight.

It was fairly simple construction. I bought a trailer single wheel fender that just fit the tire at Northern Tool and shortened it by about 1/3 then welded a 1x1 angle across each side spanning the frame rails and bolted those to the frame. I did one side at a time and clamped the angle on with vice grips to locate before welding. I used a short come-along strap thru the center of the tire and around the carrier to tie it down. The fender I bought is a tight fit on the tire and it just clears the body and does not move or rub. Easy to get to, easy to check. I also drilled drain holes in the bottom of the fender. My minuet does not have the well underneath so I will be building the same setup for it.

In the picture, the round rings behind the tongue latch are magnets which are great for holding hitch and equalizer pins when I'm unhitched.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0247.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	286134   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0248.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	286135  

rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:24 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Winter park , Florida
A/S central control unit Is it worth it and can it be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
Crawl under and look. The well for the tire may already be there. My '77 Argosy has the well, just no tire carrier. I elected to move the propane tanks forward a couple of inches and mount them on a commercially available stamped metal oval carrier which was much more secure and made a tire carrier to mount the tire between the tanks and the body, but I needed more tongue weight.

It was fairly simple construction. I bought a trailer single wheel fender that just fit the tire at Northern Tool and shortened it by about 1/3 then welded a 1x1 angle across each side spanning the frame rails and bolted those to the frame. I did one side at a time and clamped the angle on with vice grips to locate before welding. I used a short come-along strap thru the center of the tire and around the carrier to tie it down. The fender I bought is a tight fit on the tire and it just clears the body and does not move or rub. Easy to get to, easy to check. I also drilled drain holes in the bottom of the fender. My minuet does not have the well underneath so I will be building the same setup for it.

In the picture, the round rings behind the tongue latch are magnets which are great for holding hitch and equalizer pins when I'm unhitched.

I believe that's a really good idea and certainly I'm thinking I'm going to do a copy, just like yours waoo fantastic idea I see you got a control level just like ours thank you for your comment I really appreciate it .
Old 05-24-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The spare takes up a lot of room in the TV. I added the carrier under my 75. It took a day to cut the pan, seal the hole and install the holder.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote