Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1974 - 1977 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-23-2014, 04:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Anacortes , Washington
1975 27' Overlander Project

My neighbor has a '75 Overlander that he bought new and has been sitting for the last 15 years in his back yard. Other than the accumulation of dirt, green algae etc, the outside is dent free, windows are all intact, screens look good. It has rear and front and curbside shades with the metal wrap around protector shields. The front one I unrolled and it looks new. LP tanks are old and need either replacing or new valves installed if that is an option. Picked it up for $1000. I will need to replace the tires I am sure. No interior indication of leaks.

What paint is the best to repaint the interior ceiling and walls if needed?

What cleaning product would be the best choice to go over all the cabinets and other wood items?

I am considering pulling the carpet and replacing with cork. I have redone my wife's weaving studio floor in that. It is light weight and easy to clean.

Once I get the propane replaced and a new battery I will start turning things on and see what works and what doesn't I already can see that the fire/gas tube on the Bowen water heater is a pile of rust.

Just sold my boat, 25' C-Dory Cruiser, and now will be into a land yacht. So will be living on this site for a while.
Basketweaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Check out Zolotone or Multispec. It's expensive and you need spray equipment to apply but it would look great in a 70s. The biggest problem is the interior surfaces are vinyl covered, but they can be painted.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Good Morning Baskeweaver, welcome to the Airstream community and these Air Forums. It sounds like you found a lovely old Airstream and now have a great project to keep you busy for a long time. I think the Overlander is the perfect size for comfortable traveling. Even to day folks find the 25 footers rather ideal. I think they are the highest volume size that Airstream makes.

You likely already know all Airstreams leak rain water at some point. The exterior skins last forever, but the wood subfloor not so much. You will want to assess your new Overlander from bottom to top. Just carefully examine everything from the tires to the air conditioner, from the A frame coupler to the rear body attachment point. Make a list of all your trailer's needs, and then set the priority for your first projects. There is no sense in a new floor covering if the subfloor is rotted, there is no sense in new tires if the frame is weakened from rust. You know what I mean.

Working on these vintage Airstreams is great fun. These Air Forums have been so helpful to me with my 66 Trade Wind. Folks here seem to know all the strengths and weaknesses of particular years and models. And you can get great ideas for your renovation.

You gotta post some photos of your Overlander "as found", both inside and out. I wonder if it is the top of the line "International" option?

I've had my 66 Trade Wind for 15 months now. It is one size smaller than yours. Mine is the older body style where yours is the newer one. Mine is a base model with the twin bed, front gaucho layout. I didn't have to worry about testing the appliances as it didn't have them anymore! Here is a photo of the trailer just after I pulled it home.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1309 Exterior Street View.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	555.9 KB
ID:	229151  
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Portsmouth , Virginia
Welcome aboard. Please do post some pix, that way we can all get a better idea of what you have and can tailor our advice.

Before you go hog wild making it pretty, I would go through it really well and make sure there isnt any hidden rot in the floor or rusting of the frame. Some of that can be easily done by pulling up all the carpeting. Some of it you have to drop the belly pan and visually inspect the frame.

The axles will need to be replaced, especially after sitting for 15 years in one spot. Tires are probably beyond dry rot. If your area doesn't have deep freezes, the copper water lines may be in good shape, though most folks when they renovate replace them with pex.

The tanks can be fitted with new valves and re-certified. If they are aluminum you will definitely want to do this as they would be expensive to replace with same size new tanks.

A C-dory eh? I've wanted one of those for a long time. A neighbor up the creek from me has one. If you're familiar with boats then you know you have to get into places that aren't normally accessed to check for rot. Same with these trailers. If you check my blog <points down> you can see what I've gone through with the same model trailer two years older than yours. Good luck and keep us all going with plenty of pictures.

Ongoing adventures at:
https://1973overlander.blogspot.com/
aquinob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Anacortes , Washington
Thanks for the Welcome

Thanks for the thoughts on my "new" acquisition. Although I have not yet brought the AS across the street where I can start working on it. The present owner still has to move out a dozen boxes of things from inside before I can take possession. I do think I remember seeing an "International" medallion or small plaque on it somewhere. We have re- inflated the tires to 50 psi and the owner and I pulled it out about 8 feet from under the canopy of trees as a prelude to moving it over to my house. I did clean off about 6 inches of accumulation of fir needles, leaves, etc from the roof.

I understand the tires, but why would the axles need replacing and how can I tell? If when I pull the carpet I find no evidence of water damage where else do I look to check the subfloor. I am really hoping the sub floor will be okay. I would think the to replace the subfloor, everything would have to be removed. cabinets, partitions, appliances, etc. That sounds like a REAL undertaking, not to mention getting all that back in place after.
I will take a bunch of pictures. Before, during, and after. After sounds like it might be a ways down the calendar.
In my C-dory, I did a lot of extensive upgrades over an 8 year period. I like doing that kind of thing.
I took part in the C-Brats website for many years which is similar to this site. The link to my photo album is The C-Brats :: C-Brat Albums. Anna Leigh was the name of my boat.
Looking below this post I see an "Add Video" and a window with Browse next to it, but no "Add Picture" I do find an "Add Image " icon at the top .

Happy Holidays to all. My wife has informed me that I am getting my Christmas present in the form of a work project.
Old 12-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I have a 1975 Sovereign that became a long term project...

Take an ice pick, poke and prod around the floor at the wall under the front windows and on either side of the door.

Step on the rear bumper and look for movement between the shell and the bumper.

The interior vinyl can be scrubbed down with a cleaning solution then coat with Future vinyl floor stuff and it will look almost like new.

As far as axles; they are torsion and the rubber rods inside harden and set, especially if the trailer has set for any length of time. Also from what I gather there were some issues with the rubber compound from the 1970's.

For what you paid you are going to be fine, even with the necessary repairs and upgrades.

Loved the smaller CD sailboats... never could afford one, had a Wayfarer instead.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings Bazketweaver¡
Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Overlander ownership!

The critical areas to check are the perimeters -- particularly below windows and near openings in the skin. You will want to inspect through cabinet openings - through access hatches undes beds/sofas -- and through exterior. Hatches. Probing with an awl will reveal any soft spots and help to direct any leak detection needed.

Good luck with your Overlander¡

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
There is a new roll-on Zolatone product called Flex. Just used it on my Ambassador, worked great! Search the Forums for some recent posts about it. I used a lot of citrus cleaner from Home Depot to get the grease off before coating.

My floor was fine, except for under the (former) bathroom, which was very spongy. I was able to replace the bad sections by levering the shell up a bit at a time, and sliding the new piece in.

To post pics, you go in the "Manage Attachments" part, in Additional Options, that brings up a new window. It's pretty straightforward after that.

I would say that your first priority should be to get it camp-worthy, and go try it out! I've been taking lots of trips in mine as the re-building process continues on. You can always set up a camp stove, ice chest and sleeping pad... makes the trailer a glorified tent. These are great occasions to plan and dream of what your trailer will be, and how you will use it.

Though be careful to have the refreshments well stocked, as these "design meetings" can go through supplies at an alarming rate!
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #9
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
Congratulations and welcome to the forum! My AS story is identical to yours. My trailer was is good to very good shape but had been smoked in. I REPEATEDLY used a citrus based cleaner and lots of rinse water and got it to the original zolatone. You may get lucky and not need to repaint. There was a post just a few days ago about a roll on Ztone that looks good. Good idea with the flooring, go light weight. I was going to use a premium laminate until I calculated the weight. It all adds up fast. As for everything else, its just like eating an elephant. One bite at a time.
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
Congratulations on your find, we bought our 75 Overlander in June and my better half sent a looong time cleaning the inside while I replaced the axles and got the lights etc working prior to bringing Shiny Beast home. You should plan on the axle assemblies right off the bat as Waahonc pointed out sitting in one place for 15 yrs did the 40 yr old axles no good and would shake the AS to death. Once they and the lights are ready and the inside is reasonably clean( mouse excreta stinks when cleaning , be warned.) take it out a few times before stating the restoration to help you decide what you goals will be. We found the bathroom floor rotted where the copper had split so the bathroom came out and now I'm installing Pex so we can start using it again this spring.
Welcome and enjoy the journey.
Britbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Newport , North Carolina
Congrats on your find! Welcome and we are looking forward to seeing your pictures!
Cliff
Old 12-25-2014, 05:23 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi basketweaver, I really want to see some photos of your neighborhood find!

To post a picture, you need to be in the "post reply" or "go advanced" screen. Then look for the "paper clip" in the upper tool bar. When you click on the paper clip, a "manage attachments" pop up window appears. It has four buttons to "browse" to select a picture file from your computer. Do so, and navigate your file structure to get the photo of your Overlander. Select it, and then select "open".

Now you need to select "upload" and go have a diet coke. Depending on your internet connection, the upload could take several minutes. Your file name will appear toward the bottom of the pop up window when Air Forums is done with the upload. Air Forums will take a 3 meg file and downsize it to about 300k automatically. Nice.

Now you "close this window" and you are ready to "submit reply". You can upload about 4 pictures at a time.

Hope this helps.

David
Old 12-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Welcome to the forum!

Regarding the "why" of axle replacement: the axles have a rubber component that sets and stiffens over the decades. If they are not replaced, the lack of cushioning makes for a very stiff ride that will rattle the innards of your trailer and may even lead to popped rivets.

Congratulations on your new acquisition! You've gotten great advice so far. I just wanted to chime in and say Howdy since 1) We've done a lot of work on our '71 Tradewind, some of which you may fine relevant. Link to our blog is in my signature line. 2) We pass through Anacortes on the way to Lopez Island every summer. We usually spend 3-6 weeks there. 3) The "Basketweaver" name intrigues me since I'm a loom weaver and handspinner and have done a bit of basket weaving in my time.

I'll be following your progress with interest. If you run into any questions, ask away and you will get answers.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:02 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Anacortes , Washington
Thank you for all the input. No money has actually passed hands yet on this. The owner is not in any hurry, but has committed it to me if I want it. There is another neighbor that also wants to move it to his property and just put it on jacks for a bunkhouse. I have to say I am getting a little apprehensive about the axel problem. We live on a small island and the ordering/delivering, and mostly the replacement are worrisome.

The basketweaver comes from our times every year for the past 20 years in Maui. I learned how to weave baskets from coconut palm fronds many years ago and still enjoy creating them twice a year on our trips over there. My wife is a "regular" weaver and has a studio next to the house with about 5 looms.

BTW what are the Rivets all about? Rivet Master etc.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:37 AM   #15
Regular Guy

1978 31' Sovereign
Hot Springs , Arkansas
I can't wait to hear what your wife says when she figures out you have your early Christmas present for the next 5 years......
There is a lot of good advice here. A couple of places that are notorious for leaking are the Antenna where the lead penetrates the roof. It can leak and drip through the hand crank AND down the inside past the windows to the floor. After you get the carpet up , you can see where the obvious trouble spots are. An icepick can penetrate the wood laminations if they have been compromised. Sometimes the floor can look "normal", but will feel spongy under foot. You will have to judge whether you can live with a little give, or replace it. Mine has a couple of tender areas in the front, away from the floor plan walking areas. I can live with it.
Where the frame meets the skin on the tongue is another place that may need to be resealed. BTW, my AS was packed tight with boxes and stuff from the floor to a 5 foot height. At least it wasn't used as a chicken coop.....
NavyCorpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 12:07 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
You earn rivets by posting more "free advice". I don't remember the thresholds that Air Forums automatically assigns members a rivet. I see Britbat has 1 rivet with 15 posts and NavyCorpsman has 2 rivets with 43 posts, I think "rivet master" is like 500 posts.

Sounds like a lot. But many of us like to flap our gums about all things Airstream.

Axle replacement is straight forward. If you have a "trailer shop" on your island that does mechanical work on trailers chances are they can bolt up and align new axles. Rotten subfloor replacement, installing waste water tanks, replacing copper plumbing and making cabinets is more challenging than axle replacement. An old Overlander in the lush and wet northwest that hasn't been used in 15 years will likely have lots of needs.

David
Old 12-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
If you're in Anacortes, axle delivery shouldn't be a problem. Getting them delivered by ferry or private boat to an island not connected by a bridge would increase that cost significantly since they need to be delivered by truck not UPS.

If you plan on towing the Overlander it's pretty much a sure bet that you need new axles. The rubber just doesn't last for decades. Repairing popped rivets detached wall cabinets and other damage after a rough ride isn't a lot of fun.

We were fortunate enough to have one of your local weaving luminaries, Anita Mayer, down to our area for some workshops last spring. Palm frond baskets sound like fun.
Old 12-26-2014, 01:05 PM   #18
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Axle replacement is pretty easy on the double axle trailers. You drive one set of axles up on a ramp then use a couple of jacks to lower the other one, lather rinse, repeat for the other set. If you order your axles ready to go it should be a bolt on replacement, not hard at all.

If you live on one of the islands it might behoove you to have the axles delivered to a business on the mainland, then drive over and either replace them there or haul them back to your place to do the work.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 01:14 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Missoula , Montana
Hi Basketweaver,
You'll enjoy your Overlander - and you are getting a great rig at a great price, even if there are more problems than you can see. We paid almost 7 times your price for a similar age, but one that was continually used for camping every year, so was "regularly" maintained.

My thoughts might sound like repetition from what others have said above, but they are from my experience... and what you will find on the Forums (which are a wonderful resource - the equivalent of "collective wisdom") is mainly the experience of others.

The "rivet" is as described by others - it was merely picked as a reference to the fact that Airstreams are put together with rivets. So, instead of a user's time or activity being a "newby" or an "expert" or a "one-star" or "five star" rating... the Forums use "rivets." It's that simple.

Regarding your questions - the "zolatone" is used on some, but not all models. If yours is an "International" model - which is a trim level - then likely your interior "walls" are covered with a vinyl. Yes, you can paint it, but to do so you would first have to clean it, or remove it. There are forum topics on both, but removal is a big undertaking; not in the removal of the vinyl, but in the removal of the adhesive residue that is left behind on the interior aluminum. And people who do that want to have the exposed, shiny aluminum surface.

Cleaning the vinyl to be acceptable for painting will restore the vinyl - and as Lumatic said, the Zolatone paint does take a little extra to apply. There are several threads (easily found with the 'search' function) on how to clean and paint the vinyl walls but (from experience!) it's lots of elbow grease and KrudKutter - the latter best bought in bulk (Wally) and re-fillable sprayers! The vinyl off-gasses over time, and gives off a greasy feel which attracts lint and dust. But, once cleaned, you may decide the vinyl looks pretty good as is, and it makes a real difference! We thought ours was dark yellow and after a couple days of work we found it is pale ivory and much brighter. And, you will have "restored" the whole interior without going through the painting hassle after the cleaning hassle.

Krudkutter is good as well for the roll-down "Tambour" cabinet/storage covers, but it takes some work to get into the little folds. But unless your cabinets have been changed, they are likely not "wood" but laminate - and anything - spic-and-span - for plastics will work.

As for axles - others have weighed in - and there are threads about it, including how to check them. The simple reason for replacement, as Webspinner said, is they are TORSION axles - difficult to explain in a few words, but they have rubber rods which are inside the axle assembly (which is a square tube) and the rubber doesn't remain resilient for 40 years! The axles are your suspension system. A friend and I changed ours in 1 day, on our backs with the trailer up on jacks and blocks, a couple floor jacks, and some muscle. Its not that hard. Again, you'll find many ideas on the "best" way and best supplier, but my way was through 6 Roblees, a trailer supplier in the Northwest. You have one in Everett (they are HQ'd in Seattle) and you can easily pick them up in the back of a pickup bed. They can get two made-to-order axles with new drums and brakes for $800 and if you use their internal shipping (where a special order comes with their normal supply order) it costs nothing for "shipping." You just drive over to Everett as Aaron said and pick them up.

If the trailer is still across the street, next time it is raining (like it was a few days ago) one of those long, steady rains, take a bright LED headlamp and a bright LED flashlight and look in the interior along every seam, in every overhead and along every wall for a small, tell-tale sign of water. My trailer is fine in a normal shower, but after a good, 8-10 hours downpour, the leaks show up! It's something you can do while the neighbor cleans out.

You have a great trailer - a neighbor here in town sold one in great shape, used every year, for just under $12 K so at a thousand into it, you've got a lot of room for making it work! Good luck.
TAC
TCT
OilnH2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:46 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
OlinH2o describes answers to your questions like an expert! Very well written. Thanks! I used Krudcutter spray cleaner on my vinyl clad walls and it worked great. The walls cleaned up to that ivory white color which is a great background for decorating.

Maybe a guy doesn't need an Airstream if living on a small island without a bridge. I can imagine traveling to the mainland would be more difficult. You might enjoy a long three year, $10k renovation project getting this vintage Overlander travel ready and nicely finished and take your chances with the vintage Airstream market. The longer vintage trailers don't sell as well as the cute little ones, but I'd guess you could recover your expenses but not your labor.

David