Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Overlander > 1974 - 1977 Overlander
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
jonathan

1969 23' Safari
Homestead , Florida
1974 Overlander 27'

Finally it seems after 4 attempts that I have my trailer,who would have thought that it could be so hard to buy one, anyway she is a 1974 Overlander and now I need some help and advice.

firstly I want to take out the AC unit and replace with a fan I have seen a Fantastic Fan 3 14'x14' from Airstream innovations is this possible to do and is this any good?

Should I up grade the braking system and in what way?

The blue plastic strip on the bottom needs replacing is this the belt line or rub rail and are they different sizes?

I want to get an large awning for the door side what is the size I need?

I need a hitch and sway bar which is the best?

She has new alloy wheels I would like to change these for the originals with hub caps I have some where seen hubs with a blue logo what are these called?

Thank you for your help its much needed
jonnyregis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2023 30' Globetrotter
Pleasanton , California
Hello from a fellow '74 Overlander owner! Congrats on your acquisition.

None of your questions must be answered by someone who owns a '74 Overlander but since your post caught my attention, I will answer your questions with my opinions.

I wouldn't advise replacing the A/C with a Fantastic fan. The opening for your A/C is larger than 14x14 so you would have to do some major fill-in work. If the A/C doesn't work and you really want to remove it, I'd suggest removing it and then covering exterior and interior with panels. But, before you chuck it, consider that there's a reason why all campers (Airstream or otherwise) come with A/C units. You can have it replaced or repaired for likely less hassle than removing and covering.

As long as your electric brakes are working on all 4 wheels, then they are just fine. The same technology is still employed today on campers and trailers. Heavier trailers go to electric over hydraulic but would be a lot of $ and overkill for the Overlander. My Overlander has more than enough brakes with 4 electric drums.

I think the terms rub rail and belt line are used interchangably. The lower belt line is 1 inch width, the higher stuff is 1/2 inch. I've replaced sections of my 1" and all of the 1/2" stuff (actually, the 1/2 stuff wasn't there when I bought mine!)

The size awning you need is the length of the non-curved part of the trailer. Do you already have an awning rail present? It lookes like C-shaped rail with a flat extending from it which is riveted to the body of the trailer. If it is there, measure the length and that's how long you need. I'd measure mine, but I'm not at home this weekend.

You can research and get opinions all day long from the forums on hitches. You can go basic and get the typical weight distributor like I have where you have to hook up the bars every time and attach a friction sway bar. There's more advanced versions of a similar setup which have different methods for sway control (Reese dual cam). Then there's hitches like a Hensley or ProPride which runs you thousands but is the cadillac for control of weight and sway. You have to strike the balance between your wallet and your comfort level for towing.

I have the original steel wheels with original hubcaps. I would rather have newer alloys. I'd be very interested in discussing a trade with you regarding wheels / tires. I will PM you.

Don't hesitate to ask more. That's what these forums are for!
WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Congrats on the Overlander. The awning length is typically 10' less than the trailer length. In the case of a 27' rig you'd come in around 17'.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Certainly Blessed

1971 27' Overlander
Waiting to Escape.... , Somewhere between sanity and insanity ... on the brink of both.
welcome .. and you might want to rethink getting rid of the AC. We've been fulltiming in ours since june and there have been many a time we were glad to have that AC.

TAC OK-42

Come See Minnie Mouse at the TAC Walt Disney World Fort Wilderness Rally
https://airstreamingdreaming.blogspot.com

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption
]
rebelstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:01 PM   #5

1974 27' Overlander
Hill City , South Dakota
Moving my bathroom on a '74 overlander

Hi,
I've gutted my 27' 74 AS. Now I plan to move the bathroom to curb side mid ship. I can tell that if I elevate the toilet 6" I will have enough fall that I can still leave my black tank where it is. I'll just elevate the entire floor on what will now be my new bedroom. Am I missing anything here?
Thank you
Okoboati is offline   Reply With Quote