Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1997 -2001 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Kill switch

I want to replace the old bargman 7 pin with a new one. I do not like working hot. How can I shut power to 7 pin trailer connector so I can remove old one and install new one?
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Remove the Battery.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Disconnect the battery or batteries. You didn't say whether you were replacing the one on your trailer or tow vehicle, (I'm assuming the trailer) but it will work on either.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:01 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
The safest way to do it is to disconnect and tape the negative terminal from all batteries that power the trailer or tow vehicle, depending on which connector you're working on.

By disconnecting the negative rather than the positive you would avoid the possibility of creating fireworks by inadvertently touching the wrench to ground. It's important to tape or otherwise secure the negative battery cable, once disconnected, so it cannot touch the battery terminal.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:29 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Plant City , Florida
I agree with Jammer. I was re wiring the main connections in the trailer and used newer car audio style distribution blocks that use Allen keys to tighten the lugs. I was working hot and you would not believe the sparks and heat the Allen key created in seconds when grounded out. I was able to remove the key after burning my hand using pliers.
ck21084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Along with disconnecting the battery(s), you should unplug or turn off the converter. The positive side of the converter is connected to the house battery and the wiring is also connected to the charge line.
If you are just replacing the plug ( connector ) on the umbilical cord and are using a plastic connector just connect the trailer ground to the connector last. Cover the end of the wire with tape as well as the shaft of the screw driver.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #7
Geezer

1991 25' Excella
Sapulpa , Oklahoma
Umbilical vs shore power vs trailer side 7 way

Many terms that are not straight in my mind i.e.

umbilical cord ?

shore power

7 way flat pin trailer side - is what i was asking about.

I think the advice is to

1. unplug shore power

2. disconnect battery by removing and securing positive connectors on batteries - I have two batteries.

3. do nothing to kill switch located behind couch or at other places.

For me this begs the question why not just turn off the kill switch. I do not doubt the advise but I am not sure what the kill switch is for. I recall that somewhere i read to be careful when storing for long periods of time.
LRPorter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Umbilical = cord between trailer and tow vehicle

Shore power = cord between trailer and power pedestal at campground or outlet on the side of your house or whatever

You will want to disconnect the negative connectors on the batteries, not the positive.

The wiring varies however on many trailers (including mine) shutting off the "kill switch" does not disconnect power to the 7-way connector. The "kill switch" is useful for being sure that no 12v power is being used in the trailer during storage, and is useful for maintenance on most of the 12v system, but it does not disconnect the batteries from the converter or the 7-way.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

« Newbie | Top | Dry Weight »