Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-05-2021, 03:37 PM   #1

1995 28' Excella
Melbourne , Florida
HELP Fresh water drain plug 1995 28'

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1239.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	403505

Hello all I am new to forum and Airstreams as of this year. I am attempting to
drain and sanitize my fresh water tank but having found the location between curb side wheels I am confused as to which drain does what. I was only expecting to find one.
The rear drain when opened under city water pressure sprays out but when city pressure removed dribbles very little. The forward drain I am unable to open as the 'T' handle spins without engaging threads to open valve.
I would appreciate any offered enlightenment!

Thanks
Dave
pitstopz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #2
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Dave,

Those two side by side petcocks are the water system low point drains. One for cold one for hot. Used in the winterization or water system draining.

The fresh water tank might be a white plastic drain all by itself. Or the drain valve might be some other type. To locate the drain look for the fresh water filler door, that's feeding into the tank. The drain will be under that area somewhere I bet.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 05:34 AM   #3

1995 28' Excella
Melbourne , Florida
Thanks!

Followed your advice and found the white plastic drain finally.
Of course it is in the most difficult placement I can imagine but at least
it is there!

Any suggestions about fixing the hot water low point drain with T type handle
shown in original Picture? Should it just be replaced and is that a very difficult
job? The T handle spins but the threads don't turn.
Thanks again and best Regards
Dave
Old 09-06-2021, 05:56 AM   #4
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Dave,

The fix is replace it.

Does the rectangular side cover plate come off? Looks like screws holding it on. Remove the cover and see if that gives you wrench access top and bottom. The part is a pipe thread petcock. Hardware or home center item. Seeing the inside and the outside might give you the visionary ah hah moment.

Might consider R&R both while you're in there.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 06:10 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
1979 31' Sovereign
1999 25' Safari
Youngsville , North Carolina
Pitzstops
Petcock valve. Used extensively in in autos to drain radiators and engine blocks. The hex head body unscrews with a wrench. Might be more easily removed by bending the tee ears back and forth till they break off then using 6 point socket. Shaft is in 2 pieces both pieces are hex shaped if you get lucky both parts will be lined up and can be removed with a deep 6 point socket wrench. replacement petcock can be found at auto store or online.
Steve
heslinhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:00 PM   #6

1995 28' Excella
Melbourne , Florida
Thanks to All Final Solution

Thanks to all the contributors. I followed the advice and replaced the petcock valve but in order to seek a replacement I needed to remove it and since I am a full timer now my home was without water until I could fix. Went to local RV parts store , ACE hardware and Home Depot as well as a couple of Auto parts stores with no luck. I ended up "re-engineerin" the bad petcock with some standard copper plumbing parts from Home Depot. Some places had the same or similar petcocks but none were nearly as large as the one I removed. I will continue to try to source the proper part but have a serviceable solution for now that works pretty well.
Old 09-07-2021, 03:09 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by heslinhotel View Post
Pitzstops
Petcock valve. Used extensively in in autos to drain radiators and engine blocks. The hex head body unscrews with a wrench. Might be more easily removed by bending the tee ears back and forth till they break off then using 6 point socket. Shaft is in 2 pieces both pieces are hex shaped if you get lucky both parts will be lined up and can be removed with a deep 6 point socket wrench. replacement petcock can be found at auto store or online.
Steve

FWIW
P-cocks operate bass ackwards.
They are closed when unscrewed, (when threads visible) and open when screwed.

One in the photo looks to be closed the other open.

Forgot...this is a quality adaptor for the FW tank drain. It's the one I used in the photo. DAV Veteran made.

Bob
🇺🇸

FW drain...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F086EDAA-EF6D-4935-8A88-213266BA352C_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	403594