Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 06:17 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Sachse , Texas
Patching my Exterior Range Vent

My exterior range vent needs to be replaced and I need to remodel the kitchen area. I was thinking of pulling out the vent-a-hood and just putting the patch over the exterior vent. I think I've heard of others just relying on their main fan in the ceiling. What do you guys think?
Goondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goondog View Post
My exterior range vent needs to be replaced and I need to remodel the kitchen area. I was thinking of pulling out the vent-a-hood and just putting the patch over the exterior vent. I think I've heard of others just relying on their main fan in the ceiling. What do you guys think?
I'm going through the same dilemma. I still have not made a decision. I purchased a very expensive exterior stainless steel range vent replacement (for the original plastic one) from Out of Doors Mart. I don't like it at all so I won't be using it. We live in our 92 when it's not in dry dock and I'm not sure I'd want to vent that much cooking through the front ceiling vent. Something to consider though. To bad there isn't more input on this.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Our closest vent is about 6 ft away from the range. I wouldn't want to rely on it to vent the stove. And, what if it's raining? The advantage of a range hood is that you won't get rain in if you need to vent. I would go with a range hood, personally.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:14 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Our closest vent is about 6 ft away from the range. I wouldn't want to rely on it to vent the stove. And, what if it's raining? The advantage of a range hood is that you won't get rain in if you need to vent. I would go with a range hood, personally.

Kay
We're doing a rebuild, so we've installed the new MaxAir fans, front and back, so, even open they are shielded from rain, but like you said it's several feet away.
I painted our OEM plastic vent silver in 2017 when I polished the exterior, and honestly it still looks fine, and it doesn't leak at all. Still, it's 29 years old. The Stainless Steel replacement is unusable in my opinion. Because of it's design it will leak and I can't see a way to fix that without constant maintenance. In my opinion it's just not well crafted for an Airstream. I'm probably going to buy another plastic one, paint it silver, unless it come in gray now, and stick that on. If it also lasts as long as the OEM, it will have done it's job and then some.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 04-09-2021, 10:31 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
Western NC , North Carolina
I just installed the stainless vent on our 27, the key is there is a special set of gaskets you need to order which fit in the gap that goes against the aluminum skin.

So far no leaks.
JonDNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 02:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonDNC View Post
I just installed the stainless vent on our 27, the key is there is a special set of gaskets you need to order which fit in the gap that goes against the aluminum skin.

So far no leaks.

I know you post is a few years old. I also got the gasket kit with the Stainless Steel Vent cover, but they were not adequate to create a proper seal. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'm still able to use it if I decide to. Are you able to post some pictures of the install.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4