Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1990 - 1993 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Cool Partial Floor Replacement

I have just found some floor rot in my 1990 29' excalla.
It looks like it's around the front door and along the right front side. I have been looking through some of the floor replacement posts but most of them are for older trailers.

I have a few questions:
First, has anybody out there with close to the same model had the same problem? And if so, is there somewhere I should look for a water leak? There is a dent right above the WBCCI numbers on the front but it looks like the seal is good.

Second, can I pull everything out of the front, roll the carpet back and replace the bad spots with new wood with plenty of thompsons water seal? I really don't have the time and/or money this year to do a full floor replacement but I would like to get rid of the bad spots before they get worse.

I will keep looking through the floor replacement forum to try to find more info but if anyone out there can help enlighten me that would be wonderful.
osolow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Osolow,

I had water leaking into my unit and floor rot because of it. Leaks could be ANYWHERE, and pinpointing them could be a hard thing to do. I took my trailer to Airstream of Arkansas to have the Sealtech pressure test run on it. This will pinpoint all the leaks in your trailer, and they can be sealed appropriately at that time.

As for the floor, I would figure out where the leaks are before you repair it. Ya don't want to add new flooring and allow it to get destroyed and ruin your hard work and $$$$.

Steve
Old 02-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #3
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Cool floor rot

hey thanks steve i'll give A/SOA a call monday about the leak detection.
is this a costly thing to have done?

Are you still planning on being down in branson in Apirl? if so i'll be happy on showing you the problem area's and getting your input on it

thanks again
Old 02-16-2008, 02:36 PM   #4
_

. , .
hi osolow...

pressure testing is a great way to find leaks and especially after doing a nifty rehab and seal job...

because the few little ones left will drive ya wacky.

thompson's water seal is a bad idea inside your trailer. IT IS NOT SAFE/APPROVED FOR INDOOR USE...

use marine grade plywood or other water resistant material that's SAFE for indoor use.

there are several threads on replacing small sections of subfloor, especially around the door/entry...

personally i'd get the floor done and permanently remove the carpet, before doing the seal tech dance...

for example do a lino/vinyl door entry area, or just ditch all the carpet.

do all of the usual sealant inspections and repairs (windows, vents, roof, antenna, door)...

it takes a fair amount of time to remove old dry sealant, clean seams and re seal them,

but shop rate for this is expensive and with a ladder, a goop gun, goop, cleaning tools and bifocals...

you can do most of this at home, besides this is a regular maintenance process owners should do occasionally.

THEN when you think it's really good, have the seal tech done.

90% of the sealant needs are obvious and YOU can do them...

it's the last 10% that will drive you buggy.

and it's not 1 or 2 or even 10 exposures to water that rot the floor...

it's years of exposure and moisture that does this.

you may also have entry door issues and this can be checked at home with a hose and 2 people.

lastly there are products that will harden soft wood when those sections aren't completely replaced.

i've never used them but terry covers using 'rot doctor' some in this thread, around post #30...

i wouldn't go this route on high traffic or weight bearing sections but in other nooks it might be reasonable.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f221...ins-32395.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 03:44 PM   #5
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Cool sealing ?

how do i go about cleaning out the seams and resealing them?

it looks like the rot gose from the wall to about 6-8 inch out. besides pulling everything out of the front of the trailer and rolling back the carpet what will i have to do to get the old plywood out and slide the new in? is this were you then need to remove the banana skin and under belly skin?
i wanna try my best to fix this floor right but i dont have the money to do a complete strip down of the trailer and put in an all new floor, and i just bought it so i would like to enjoy it a little before i tear into it

If so what kinda time am i looking at ? ive got a brother and cousin that can help. we have the tools that i think we will need and the compadance.

also can i get away with cutting out all the carpet with out taking everything out (because the carpet is under everything) to install vinal or hardwood floor
thanks for all the info
Old 02-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #6
_

. , .
start here, it's FREE!!

floors....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/

sealants and gaskets....

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f456/

at this point virtually every question you might ask has been covered in great detail, including photos of most issues.

once you read a bunch, and start to digest the info and POST PHOTOS of your issues...

the answers will be become more specific...

while the unit is new to you, the great value of the forum archives, is that lots of folks have been down the same road...

and posted detailed solutions to these issues.

so enjoy the adventure and go camping before ya start tearing things up!

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow
I have just found some floor rot in my 1990 29' excalla.
It looks like it's around the front door and along the right front side. I have been looking through some of the floor replacement posts but most of them are for older trailers.

I have a few questions:
First, has anybody out there with close to the same model had the same problem? And if so, is there somewhere I should look for a water leak? There is a dent right above the WBCCI numbers on the front but it looks like the seal is good.

Second, can I pull everything out of the front, roll the carpet back and replace the bad spots with new wood with plenty of thompsons water seal? I really don't have the time and/or money this year to do a full floor replacement but I would like to get rid of the bad spots before they get worse.

I will keep looking through the floor replacement forum to try to find more info but if anyone out there can help enlighten me that would be wonderful.
Gaskets, gaskets.

They do not last 18 years.

Most entrance door, floor area plywood rot, is from either a bad door gasket, a warped door, or the entrance door lock striker bolt and plate are badly worn.

Check the window gaskets, the access compartment door gaskets, and especially the sewer vent pipe cover gaskets. Those only last about 5 years or so.

How well the window latches hold the windows closed, can be another source of water leaks.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 04:27 PM   #8
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Cool gaskets

i will check the door gasket next time i see my trailer (in the shop getting new cooling pump in fridge) the windows are tight i have opened them a couple of times to air out the trailer while clean right after i bought it
but it looks like most of the rot gose from the door along the wall and to the battery box past that i didnt notice ant wetness on the carpet
thanks for the info and the redirects
Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Osolow,

If your gaskets are good then great. Get some silicone spray to keep them fron sticking to the glass. If you need new gaskets...get installed, and use the spray on em.

Steve
Old 02-16-2008, 05:07 PM   #10
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
floor rot and fixing it

ok after reading a few diffrent post i think i have a few thing's figured out and got a game plane started in my head.
i will say after reading a post of Andys that i do remember that a few of the front marker light cover's were broken or missing aswell as the porch light cover looks to be melted and has an opening in it. i plan on replaceing all of them.

to help me out is there any were i can get a exploded view of this trailer to see how the body fits to the frame ? also dose A/S sell service manuals?
man i cant wait to get started on this thing

Once again i would like to thank everyone for the input and this site one of the best on the net easily
Now if anyone wants to help i will provide cold drinks and pizza
Old 02-16-2008, 05:31 PM   #11
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Cool fixing it

I will probably try to fix this after the Branson rally but i need it for memorial day weekend.
i'll try my best to take lots of pic and post my progress
Old 02-16-2008, 08:38 PM   #12
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow
..is there any were i can get a exploded view of this trailer to see how the body fits to the frame ? ...
the floor/channel exposures in this thread may be useful...

howieE may have other shots he can share too.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ion-35237.html

i'm sure many of the 'full monty' threads also have pix of this area...

but most are older units and may have a slightly different arrangement...

cheers'

2air'

Old 08-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Lander , Wyoming
Do you guys think it is possible to replace the flooring while you are living in it? How long would you say it take to rip up the carpet and the hardwood and put down linoleum?
minamyna is offline   Reply With Quote