Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2020, 04:35 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Looking for replacement taillight trim

I'm looking for replacement taillight trim for my 1992 Excella. These are chromed plastic and have several cracks and chips. I'm not hoping for new, just better.
If anyone has a pair to sell please let me know. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200722_154719.jpeg
Views:	25
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	374606
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 06:33 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Sachse , Texas
Mine are cracking too and don't really fit the shell very well anymore. I'm thinking of cutting some aluminum the same size and Olympic riveting it on. Then cutting some holes for standard round trailer lights.
Goondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 04:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goondog View Post
Mine are cracking too and don't really fit the shell very well anymore. I'm thinking of cutting some aluminum the same size and Olympic riveting it on. Then cutting some holes for standard round trailer lights.
Your idea may work out just fine and it may actually be the only way to go because I don't think new lenses or the metal light boxes for the old Monarch lights are even available any longer.

In my case I'd already paid about at least 250.00 for the Sealed LED light kit for old 4.25 Monarch to replace my old lights and replacement lenses and new metal boxes, etc. So, in my case I already had a pretty big incentive to make my situation work.

I ended up using a combination of clear JB Weld and two part resin along with some fiberglass joint tape to reinforce them from the backside. Mine did not fit well either. The former PO had caulked the crap out of them. I used a couple of different widths and thicknesses (3/8" x 1" and 1" x 1") of adhesive backed closed cell weather strip foam (like might be used for boat hatches) to seal behind them around the perimeter, top and sides. Anyway, this seems to have worked pretty well.

Quite a pain in the A** to save some cheap plastic.

If I get some time I'll post some pictures.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Old 10-05-2022, 09:54 AM   #4

1990 32' Excella
Mesa , Arizona
I am in the same boat. I have a 90 Excella that I am currently restoring and have been looking for the tail light covers. Yours look to be in better shape than mine are though. I have talked to a couple manufacturing places here in the Phoenix area and may end up 3D printing new ones and having them chrome plated afterwards. That might be an option for you depending on where you are.
oegbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 10:56 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Exterior Lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by oegbert View Post
I am in the same boat. I have a 90 Excella that I am currently restoring and have been looking for the tail light covers. Yours look to be in better shape than mine are though. I have talked to a couple manufacturing places here in the Phoenix area and may end up 3D printing new ones and having them chrome plated afterwards. That might be an option for you depending on where you are.
Hey there,
I was able to do a decent restoration on mine. Sorry I have not posted any pictures. Here's a link to an Exterior lights Photos album.
I like the 3D printing and chroming idea. If you do this I hope you'll share your results. Also, please hang on to the rendering file. I'm sure others will want to use it. Best of luck.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500
Mega Cab Diesel 4x4