Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Excella > 1990 - 1993 Excella
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-11-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Going to pick up my new (to me) '91 29' Excella..

Hi Everyone,

I just made the deal on a '91 29ft Excella AS.. I am so excited.. I just had to post! This is my first trailer and I was just wondering what other Excella owners think and their experiences.. Hope to hear from some of you... Any advice would be great.

Vickie
Dickandvicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Congrats and welcome to happy traveling.

Just take it easy, don't go into any gas stops that you don't have a plan to get out of, and never unhitch without setting out chocks. Heavy rolling things will find a slope that you cannot see.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thank you so much for your well wishes! I am super excited.. I figure I'll just take it slow and steady driving home, and keep an eye out for easy in and out gas stations!
Old 08-18-2013, 07:44 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Where are you? Our 29' Excella has been the coolest thing we have ever had. Congratulations and welcome to the club!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Hi,

Thank you so much! Next Sunday I'll be driving from Tulsa, OK to Pella, Iowa.. Just about 8 hours. To pick up my 29ft, '91' Excella!! i am so excited!! This is my very first trailer and the first time I have ever towed! ����

Happy Trails,
Vickie
Old 08-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
We'll all be hoping for good weather (no thunderstorms or worse..) and light winds! You may be lucky to find owner selling trailer able to help you set hitch set up and spring bars/anti sway ready for the journey, but if not, I'd recommend looking up on internet and finding RV dealer/shop to check hitching out before hitting the long ride on interstates or turnpikes.. There's an Airstream Dealer/Service Center just east of Des Moines off US Highway 6 south of I-80, or there are other shops along the way.. I wouldn't let them sell you entire new hitches, but asking for a check and needed adjustments might not hurt...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
South Miami , Florida
Be sure to check tires for correct pressure and also make sure they do not have dry rot. You do not want to go on the Interstate with tires that have been sitting for a while. Drive slow until you get the hang of pulling the trailer, and keep checking the rear view mirrors.

Have a safe ride!

J & G
1990 Excella 29'
So. Miami, Fl
J&G22argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
The sellers are a wonderful couple. All systems have been checked, new tires, 2 new batteries, axels's packed, brakes checked, pressure check on all lines, and exterior (can't remember what) sealed.. Seller said he is going to educate me "side to side, top to bottom, up and down", he is also going to give me a tow tutorial and even said he would ride with me when I leave (wife following in car) and stay with me as long as I want (wonder how they will enjoy the sites in Tulsa?) =)

Thanks All,
Vickie
Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Taylors Falls , Minnesota
29 ft Excella

I bought my 29ft. 1993 Excella in Indiana early this spring and I live in northern Wisconsin. Like a fool I hit the home button on my GPS and followed the directions...... did you know the fastest route from Gary Indiana is through downtown Chicago? The lord does work in mysterious ways....I almost started smoking again... oh well I lived and I told the wife I can now drive the Airstream anywhere in the world she would like to go. Really do like the Excella and have had the fever for years....I am sure you will learn what white knuckle driving is all about soon enough. Enjoy.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Hi Dallas,

Tomorrow is the day! I leave Tulsa for Pella to pick up my AS?. My stomach is already starting to do flip flops! Thanks for the head up.. I better check the routing of my GPS..

Vickie
Old 09-02-2013, 06:22 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Vickie, how's it going?
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2012 30' Classic
Wildwood , Missouri
We too got a fun ride through Chicago during rush hour when we had our 1975 Excella. That was NOT a fun adventure! No one would let us over to get on our highway and I literally had to hang out the window (just short of getting out of the truck) and wave people off so we could change lanes. Stay away from big city traffic if you can until you figure out things and feel comfortable. We loved our 1975. I cried when we finally traded it in for our 2006 last year. I had it all decked out and decorated like the 70's! It was my alter-ego! Have fun and take care of the tambour - it can be fragile!
kswelsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 05:10 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
It went great! A friend (who is an experienced tower), joined me. She helped so much and took over when i had had enough! I did my share of white Knuckling and it was a long drive home, but great experience. We even took Wings her out last weekend on her maiden voyage. No problems.. I'm still driving with my hands clutched to the wheel, but all in things are going great. My next big challenge is this afternoon, backing her into the storage unit! Thanks for asking...
Old 09-03-2013, 06:02 AM   #14
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickandvicki View Post
It went great! A friend (who is an experienced tower), joined me. She helped so much and took over when i had had enough! I did my share of white Knuckling and it was a long drive home, but great experience. We even took Wings her out last weekend on her maiden voyage. No problems.. I'm still driving with my hands clutched to the wheel, but all in things are going great. My next big challenge is this afternoon, backing her into the storage unit! Thanks for asking...

Kewl!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Glad to hear trip went well... Hopefully it is safely put away, and you can start the (never-ending..) process of adding upgrades, enhancements and personal touches.. We look forward to hearing more about future trips.. And remember, whatever can go wrong has probably gone wrong to someone else, and they probably wrote about it here on the Forums, so keep practicing with the search key...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1805556034.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	481.6 KB
ID:	195145

Here is a picture of the sweet couple that I adopted Wings from... They where fantastic!
Old 10-10-2015, 07:10 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1990 29' Excella
Travelers Rest , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skatiero View Post
Where are you? Our 29' Excella has been the coolest thing we have ever had. Congratulations and welcome to the club!
We got our 1990 Excella 29' in 2009 from Marietta, GA, and after making renovations and updating a few things we love to take it to rallies. We think the 29' is the best combination, not too small and not too long.

We live just North of Stone Mtn. GA

WBCCI 2456 Georgia Unit 32
1990 Excella 29' Centramatics
2016 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 2500 HD 4x4
6.6L Duramax + Allison, 3.73 axles
dcasr is offline   Reply With Quote