Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2020, 07:14 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Sachse , Texas
1992 Excella 25' Axle Size?

We recently purchased our first AS and we're looking at adding a lift kit to ours but have no idea if we have #10 or #11 axles. Any of you guys know?

-Thanks
Goondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:51 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crystal River , Florida
I would venture a guess and say it would be a #10. There should be a tag on the axle that will give you information about it's origins and capacity. Getting that would be a good start.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:43 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Welcome to the AirForums! I see this was your first post.

The placard on the trailer near the road side front corner will tell you what the load capacity of your trailer's axle are. They should be close to 3,000 lbs on a 25' trailer (that's what mine are)

The 1992 owners manual says the axles are DuraTorque (manufactured by Henshen), in section D on page 10. Henshen is no longer manufacturing axles. Axles and lift kits on newer Airstreams are manufactured by Dexter (Torflex axles).

I "think" the lift kit for #10 axles will work, but some modification/welding might be required. I've not done this, but I've read some posts on the forum. Some people have made their own custom lift kits using tube steel. There are a few thread/post that have photos showing how to.

Almost 20 year old axles could be nearing the end of their usable life. You might want to check the flexibility of the rubber. While installing lift kits 90% of labor to change the axles will be done anyway, so you might want to consider replacing the axles if the rubber is not flexible as it should be.

This document has some good info>
https://vintageairstreamclub.com/wp-...orque-axle.pdf

ps:
This is a link to the manual for your trailer>
https://www.airstream.com/wp-content...-manual-78.pdf
Old 07-19-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Crystal River , Florida
Before going the lift kit routine it would be worthwhile to determine if your axles are shot. If you need new axles, most likely unless they have been changed, you will gain ground clearance buy just putting in functioning axles. And you can gain a bit more by increasing the down angle.

The mounting bolt holes on a Henshen axle and a Dexter axle are about 1/2" off so one or the other of the two holes on each side will need to be reamed out a bit. A 5/8" bit will do the trick but I'd think a die grinder would make the task much easier. Assuming your Henshen axles are like mine were, to use a Dexter lift kit would require reaming out the holes where the lift kit attaches to the frame and where the lift kit attaches to the axles.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1992 25' Excella
Sachse , Texas
Excellent advise guys, thanks.
Goondog is offline   Reply With Quote