Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1997 - 1999 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Shower stall tipping

Our shower stall appears to be tipping backwards toward the drain. It's leaning about one inch toward the front of the trailer if you measure at the top of the shower stall.

I found another post of a similar problem on a newer model trailer where the factory had installed leveling blocks underneath the shower pan that had fallen out.

Anyone else seen this on their 1999 Safari? It's not obvious how to access the area underneath the shower pan to re-level it - it looks like I would need to remove the refrigerator to cut a hold to get to it? Or any other ideas how to get to this area?
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 12:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
Update.

I ended up removing the refrigerator to gain access to the underside of the shower. I didn't need to cut anything; there were sheet metal panels inside the cavity where the fridge is that can be removed to gain access to the shower. There was no blocking holding up the bottom of the shower so I made up and installed some. The shower is now back to vertical and feels much more solid.

Good news is that it was bone dry under there. I had been concerned that the problem was due to floor rot - instead it was just poor installation.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:07 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Hopefully you installed enough blocking to distribute your weight when in the shower so that you don't stress and crack the shower base.
Otherwise, great.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
The blocks I put in were about 12" x 4" - I figured that was enough surface area to distribute the load - or at least to take on some of the load.

The shower appeared to be held in place simply by 3/4" wood screws around the opening. The enclosure moved freely once I removed those screws. Due to the shower flexing / shifting, many of the screws had been pulled out of their original holes in the walls. I could not see any other support, anchor points or blocking anywhere.

Once the new blocking was in I filled the original holes with polyester compound and then re-drilled and screwed after it hardened - my thinking was that this should provide additional support.

I was surprised how large the cavity was and how much wiring was underneath the shower pan - both 12V and 120VAC Romex under there.. While it's technically a dry area, I was surprised the design doesn't call for more protection for the line voltage wiring.