Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2003, 12:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Refer heat / venting

While dry camping this last week in the Michigan U. P., I noticed that the refer generated a lot of heat in the trailer while operating on LP. Much of this heat seemed to remain in the trailer, such that it was a good 10 degrees warmer in the A/S than it was outside at night , with all the windows and vents open.

I'm not suggesting that there is a failure with the refer unit, it worked great all week but, more so that the venting of the operational residual heat is not that good, or that there may be heat infiltration somewhere else near the refer. There are no obstructions in the top vent or other mechanical issues that I am aware of and I am always level when in use.

Have others experienced this? Are there ways to improve the venting to improve the airflow movement and reduce the heat created by the refer?

Not a major issue, just trying to improve on things.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:55 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Venting

My old Scamp got so hot from the refrigerator that I pulled it out temporarily and insulated the compartment with foil-bubble-foil insulation. That cured the problem.

A small fan blowing upward in the duct really helps in reducing heat buildup. Camping World, etc., carry a selection of small, almost silent fans.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2003, 07:09 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Possible CO problem?

I have been thinking about the refer heat issue further when it occured to me that the space above my refer is not airtight to the interior of the A/S. It is simply a small storage area with a 6 inch enclosed (but not airtight whatsoever) area that allows the burner heat to rise via convection and vent out the standard top vent.

Since the refer flue does not protrude directly through the roof, I got to wondering if we are being exposed to carbon monoxide when the refer is on LP when we dry camp. The potential incrases when the temperatures are high outide and there is not a strong convective flow.

When I installed my solar wiring through the rooftop vent, I found it odd that there was just empy space above the refer and that the flue was not connected directly, but terminates somewhere behind the refer, out of sight.

Anyone else come across this issue or have a concern?
Jace
Old 08-21-2003, 08:40 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
re: Possible Co2 problem

This arrangement seems to be pretty standard in the SOB trailers I have owned. A path is provided from the refrigerator to the top vent, but there is no effort made to make it totally air tight.

I suspect that since there can be CO2 generated only when the burner is on, the theory is that there will be sufficient heat to move any combustion byproducts up and out of the vent.

Personally, if I knew that the vent was leaky, I would make an effort using something like the silver air conditioning tape to seal any known openings.

The use of a fan in the vent should not only improve cooling, but it should eliminate the possibility of CO2 getting inside the trailer.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote