Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1997 - 1999 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2004, 04:57 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Evansville , Indiana
My Safari is a 1999 27 ft. with the original A&E awning. When delivered new from the dealer, some deformation was evident in the lower arm brackets (foot supports). While at Jackson Center, I had the technician install new foot supports, drill a hole between the two legs of the foot support, and install an additional fastener. This has prevented the deformation and has kept the awning in alignment. The fastener is a hex head screw like the two existing fasteners on the foot support. I have used my awning many times, since I spend the winters in the Airstream. The only problem I have is that it seems to be more sensitive to the wind than the Zip Dee. I put the awning out and put it up by myself without a hitch.

Sam
Airstream12557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:59 PM   #22
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
Good luck with A&E. The brackets on my '99 Safari started to bend two years ago so I started looking for replacements. The only offer by A&E was to suggest a few dealers who might have some still in stock. But no one did. As luck would have it all of the metal parts of the awing assembly were trashed by a sudden and un-forcast storm while we were away from the trailer one day. With no replacement A&E parts to be had, our insurance company replaced the the whole A&E awning and assembly with a ZiP Dee.
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:04 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Foot for A&E awning

Soooo.... what do I do with my broken bracket? Am I forced to remove the awning & replace it with a new brand as the A&E bracket is no longer made? This is not going well for me; my husband is ready to get rid of the trailer & go motel-ing. This is his first trailer & he's not having fun. The grey water tank leaks; there's a leak in the roof (caused by the awning foot being broken?), screens need replacing, weatherseal on the door & windows is shot & now the hot water heater seems not to work properly (it never gets very hot & the shower alternates between warm & cold when set as hot as possible). For a 1999, it seems as though we bought a lemon. Already fixed the refrigerator (new circuit board needed) and the antenna has never worked properly. Get more reception on the rabbit ears.

Anyway, back to my original question: Is there any fix to the broken A&E awning foot?

Thanks in advance,

Bonni
bonnisd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 01:23 PM   #24
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Have you tried Colaws RV salvage. They may have what you are looking for...

877-548-2125 Ask for James
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:08 AM   #25
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Awning cave-in

Hi, Folks,

My Excella has a Zip Dee awning that was replaced in 1999, and the PO gave me a box from Zip Dee labeled "Tropical Room" as I getting ready to leave with my new/old prize.

I finally got around to installing the Tropical Room last week, and I found the instructions and assembly to be very straightforward. At the end of my day off, I admired my "porch" and congratulated myself by unfolding a dinette chair outside and luxuriating in bug-free splendor.

Fast-forward to the next morning at 6:30 a.m. The sound of the front vent closing woke me up, and I thought, "It's raining," rolled over, and went back to sleep. Thunder bounced me out of bed about 7:00, and I wandered to the front of the trailer about half asleep. The first thing I noticed was that right-front vista window, which is supposed to be UNDER the awning wasn't. That just did not look right, so I raised the door shade and found myself looking at awning fabric.

Then a big gust of wind struck from the opposite direction, and the whole shebang, which I theorize was sticking something like straight up, came banging down. This was sort of a boom and a very big splash.

When the storm passed over, I very cautiously opened the door and peeked outside. The attached picture shows that the part that took most of the damage simply bent. There must have been a LOT of weight of water on that awning.

So I called Zip Dee, and after figuring out what the part was called, they shipped it on Friday and I got it on Tuesday. It was a ten minute job to replace the part with a ladder under the awning. The folks at Zip Dee were wonderful about making sure I got the right part, and even though it's for an Airstream the price didn't make me faint. (Maybe I'm becoming hardened...)

The accident also put a bow in the roller. This weekend I plan to entice two of my neighbors into helping. The approved process is to support the roller on two folks' shoulders and have a third guy hang his weight from the high point. That's just high-tech enough for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream_front_small.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	12548  
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #26
duo
'69 Caraval '98 Safari

1969 18' Caravel
1998 25' Safari
Starkville , Mississippi
awning question

I read all the posts about 1998-9 safari awnings. We have never used the awning on our 1998 25' Safari. Today I read the directions, and excuse my ignorance, but it shows the thing with the "feet" on the ground! (It is the troublesome one attached on the trim piece.) When we bought the trailer in December in northern PA, the owner showed us how to open it, and it clearly was not with feet on the ground. The directions do not seem to fit my awning. Is there anyplace with directions for the "swing out" model? BTW, this is the first of many questions you can expect from me. We restored a'69 Caravel and love it. It being quite simple; we know nothing but want to get at it! Thanks. jac
duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 07:25 PM   #27
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Jac,

If you have the Carefree awning, the lower rafter support arms that attach low on your coach should have a release arm in them that allows you to unsnap the arm from the bracket and place it straight up and down. Note that if you use this technique, it is STRONGLY SUGGESTED that the now vertical rafter arms be secured to the ground either with stakes or ground screws and straps because there is no vertical force holding the awning down.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:12 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Awning Heads Up

No one is tighter than Me I have been told, however, the good stuff will save you big bucks in the long run 90% of the time. A freak storm bent an arm on my awning and broke the hindge casting that was bolted to the trailer.
Straightened the bent arm on Sunday.
Called Zip Dee on Monday. Part was about $20.00 as I remember.
Had the casting by Thursday.
Installed the casting on Saturday.
What can I say. Zip Dee supports their products and they carry the piece parts at reasonable prices.
Jim
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #29
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
That's why I chose to be a dealer for Zip-Dee. They stand behind their products. But then, it has been my experience that Carefree does also!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:25 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Broken arm

We have a broken arm (it fell off!) on our 2004 Zipdee. Who should I call, Airstream or Zipdee? Any recommendations? Tom
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:31 PM   #31
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
We have a broken arm (it fell off!) on our 2004 Zipdee. Who should I call, Airstream or Zipdee? Any recommendations? Tom
Call Zipdee! http://www.zipdeeinc.com/
Good news for you, they are located down the block (25 miles) from you in Elk Grove Village, IL.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:36 PM   #32
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Tom,

Zip Dee is right down the street from us in Elk Grove Village.

Doesn't get any better than that!

Oops...that's already been posted.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 12:05 AM   #33
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Triangulation is working!

Eric -

Slowly getting a bead on your location. Another clue - 'Elk grove village', ' ZipDee around the corner', '5 minutes away'.... Mr Watson, if you please...

Just funning!

Always enjoy your posts. Always good reading - especially when I get closer to figurin' out where you post from.... Too much time on my hands huh?

Ciao!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 07:45 AM   #34
duo
'69 Caraval '98 Safari

1969 18' Caravel
1998 25' Safari
Starkville , Mississippi
Thank you, Lew Farber, for the reply, I can see how that works now. But can I leave the awning "feet" attached to the trailer and just pull the awning up into place? That way would be a lot easier. Thanks again. Jac
duo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2006, 08:13 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaceBeck
Final word. A&E has shipped all new hardware and a replacement rolller tube at no charge. Absolutely great to work with, no questions asked, just how can we take care of the problem and keep you satisfied. Really exceptional service.
I have had this same experience with A&E but after the third time in one season it became bore to stand in the dealer's lot while they replaced everything. I tried the awning yesterday and it will not open, time for new arms again. Fortunately I talked with the rep at a show and he said he would have an extra set sent to the dealer just in case. He also stated that he wished A&E never got involved with Airstream. I put a Carefree on my Tradewind and just loved it. It was easy to operate and never gave me a problem. It was from this same dealer Roskopfs in Milwaukee and they always stand behind what they sell.
Old 04-25-2006, 12:11 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Wailuku , Hawaii
A&E Woes

Just read all the posts on this thread. I've got a '99 25' Safari with the A&E awning. My rear lower 'foot' is bending and the front looks like it will start next. Last weekend the upper rafter bracket broke and at first I thought, at 7 years old, no problem. WRONG! Dometic, A&E and even AS don't have ANY parts for this piece of junk. At this point, my only option is to remove the entire awning from the trailer before any hardware fails and damage to the coach occurs. Anybody removed their awning? How difficult is it, it looks pretty straightforward - take the hardware off, then slide it out of the rail. Am I missing something? Thanks for any replies!
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:36 PM   #37
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
My 97 has the A&E as well. Haven't had any problems except the locks don't work. Feet seem to be fine.

However, if there is one thing I'll take away from this thread, it is to save my money so I can afford a zip dee when the time comes.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Wailuku , Hawaii
I hear ya!

Ditto on the Zip Dee. I removed the A&E - did not want to have another part break while on the road and possibly damage the coach. I actually removed, re-riveted, resealed and cleaned up in about an hour. Pretty easy job. Hope I can put the Zip Dee on as easily when I finally am able to afford one as a replacement. I'll miss having an awning a lot but not the worry of a part failure. The rear foot on mine was ready to completely shear off. Thank goodness it didn't happen while we were towing.
Waterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 02:56 PM   #39
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Makes me feel a bit better about the dometic stuck to the side of my coach

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #40
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
Makes me feel a bit better about the dometic stuck to the side of my coach
I assume this is tongue in cheek I have Carefree on mine and they aren't any better on the the service end. I am still trying to figure out which PO decided to ditch the orginal Zip Dee's for the Crappee awnings. Unfortunately Zip Dee seems to be the only one that has really produced a long lived awning for the Airstream. Eventually I will return my unit to the ZippDees but it is a ways off.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote