Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
My new '98.. Lets get a few more posts in here

Were the late 90's a slow time for Airstream?

I just took delivery of a 25' Safari and am excited to start digging into it and getting to know it. Everything looks to be in good working order. Is there anything specific I should be on the look out for? Any tips or tricks?

Our plan is to full time in it starting next spring. In the meantime we customize the trailer. First up is removing the blue carpet and recovering the couch.

timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #2
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
More pics, my friend!!

Subfloor condition, trailer axles, frame separation, filiform corrosion, tire age, brake wiring, 15k air conditioner (you did say "full time"?), LED exterior lamps, A-frame/rivet inspection . . . no end of reading and note taking around here.

Pro Pride hitch would be at the top of my list.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Ours is a '97 and sat for many years causing the rubber in the axles to harden. We ended up replacing all three of them. The check I used was to jack the trailer up and note the amount of travel the wheels had with the weight off of them. In my case it was zero. If yours has been towed regularly, it shouldn't be a problem.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
I put up a bunch of pics at: 82Smugglers - Airstream

If I jack it up, I should be able to move the wheels up and down with my hands?? The past owners only used it twice over the last 9 years.

No soft spots in any floor that I could find and no sign of any leaks.

What and where would I look for frame separation? Everything I see looks good.

I see a minor spot or two of filiform. The big issue is lots of clearcoat failure.

Tires are new and in prefect shape. Though they are the Marathons. which I guess people don't like?

The AC is the original Duo-Therm. What is a 15k AC? And how do I tell if mine has the optional heat strip?

No LEDs on it yet.

A frame and all rivets look good.

Don't need the ProPride as it came with a Hensley

Old 06-15-2011, 02:55 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
I must apologize as this is now in the wrong forum. It appears I have a 1999 model year trailer and not a 98.

I was looking back over all the paperwork I got from the seller and noticed the spec sheet from the factory and the factory check-out sheet both list it as a 1999. Double checking with a vin decoder confirms it.

The title from the 2nd owner lists it as a 1998 and so does the estate letter from when they purchased it from the original owners wife.

I wonder how the DMV will handle it?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Hi Tim.

I just saw your thread today, sorry about that, I guess better late than never tho.

We have a 1999 Safari too, and she looked almost exactly like yours when we bought her (Lola). We took out the twin mattresses and put in one queen 10" memory foam (feels so good!) from Overstock.com. Removed the blue carpet and put down a new vinyl floor; replaced the old toilet with a porcelain one; removed old Airstream curtains and replaced with custom window treatments; removed old sofa (looked exactly like yours) and built a banquette (u-shaped) and upholstered it in faux croc (crocodile) faux leather. I still need to reupholster that wall where the tv goes with the same fabric from the bedroom. We are also talking about changing out the kitchen and bathroom sinks to stainless steel.

We bought a "Tailgater" satellite cube from Dishnetwork and it works really well when you aren't around a lot of trees.

We call Lola our "condo on wheels".

There's so much you can do to make them your own!

What Lola doesn't have which I saw in your pics: It looks as though you have a wall-mount propane heater on the side of the cabinet at the doorway, and that hitch of yours looks wicked!! Just kidding, but it does look massive, do you like it? Also, it looks as though yours came with a queen mattress.

Best of luck with your girl and hope you enjoy your travels in her. Perhaps we'll run into each other down the road (at a rally?).

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 11:30 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Cruiser View Post
Hi Tim.

I just saw your thread today, sorry about that, I guess better late than never tho.

We have a 1999 Safari too, and she looked almost exactly like yours when we bought her (Lola).

Best of luck with your girl and hope you enjoy your travels in her. Perhaps we'll run into each other down the road (at a rally?).

Deb
Deb..

No name for our home on wheels yet, but we have done a ton since I posted that message. We sold our house and have been living in it full time for 71 days now. Currently in the middle of Montana.

You can find a bunch of pictures on most of what we have done at:
Airstream interior tour | WatsonsWander
What | WatsonsWander

Love to see some photos of yours..

We also went with an Overstock mattress and we love it. Rounded the corners a bit and it works great for a 6'3" guy like me.

I thought about replacing the couch, but stuck with it and it seems to work. We would like to figure something out for a second table for the left side of the couch. My wife always has to move when I need to get up from the inside position.

The heater on the wall is an indirect propane heater. Doesn't need 12v to run, just propane. Haven't used it yet, but I'm sure we will this winter. My wife sewed up a nice cover for it and it now blends in a bit better.

The hitch is a Hensley. I love it, but don't know any different. Haven't felt a wiggle or a sway from the trailer yet.

We will be all over the U.S. for the next few years. Probably not any Rallies though. Not sure if they are our type of thing...

-tim

[EDIT]
Oh and let me know if you ever find a stainless steel sink that fits the '99 counter opening. I looked everywhere and couldn't find one. I should have remade the counter top for what I could find.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Denver , Colorado
Congrats on your new 'Stream!!!
WBCCI #4846, WBCCI DenCO Unit
Air #62992
Travel Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:35 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Wow, how nice! You really have done a lot of work!

Our girl's clearcoat is peeling too. I am surprised to see just how shiny you were able to get yours as I thought the newer aluminum wouldn't shine like that. We were given a price of $3,500 to strip the clearcoat on the top half (to the belt line) and reseal, but haven't done anything with it yet. I really like how yours looks.

We have talked about putting in some aluminum walls/backsplashes too. Was it difficult to do? Wondering about how you affixed them to the walls (thinking about wiring in the way)?

We are planning to replace our countertops including the tv area's and my DH mentioned possibly going over the top of the current ones. Did you apply over the top of the old, or did you totaly remove the old first?

Your bedroom was also the same as ours. We did the place a sheet of plywood over the center and a queen on top, which means we climb in from the door opening and have empty space on the right and left (which we use to store things so they won't move while traveling). I like what you have done to yours. Did you run into any real sticky problems in switching it around?

We may need to PM you if we run into any problems as we do more, if you don't mind.

Thanks for the links to the pics of your inside.................it looks great.

Now, a question or two about fulltiming -- was it a big step and are you pleased?

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
The polishing looks good though it is far from perfect. We think its better then the peeling we had. There was a lot of peeling. We ran out of time, or we would have given it another go over with the buffer. We used Gords Aluminum Polish. Big job to strip it, polish it and then clean up.

Aluminum walls was fairly simple. I had taken just about all the cabinets out, so I didn't have to worry much about the edges as they all get hidden behind a molding or cabinet. The kitchen we used the old wall piece as a template. I scufffed up the Aluminum with some rubbing compound and wet sanded it. Gave it a hand rubbed look. The raw Aluminum I bought would have held up without some sort of finish on it. I used construction adhesive to attach it. Though that seems to have failed. Not a problem as all edges are covered in moldings and there are screws from the counters and cabinets holding it all in place.

Removed the counter tops and laminated over the old laminate. (Except for the bathroom, since the sink is different) Took off the oak rounded front edges, then added on a right angled piece to replace it.

No problem switching the bed around. I'm not the best cabinet maker, but all that oddness is hidden under the bed. I used all the old as much as I could to keep the paper oak look. We did lose one of the outdoor storage compartments. (Just covered it over with a piece of plywood) Our dog really likes to sleep under the bed overhang in the corner and there is still enough room for me to shuffle around the bottom with a full length queen mattress.

Feel free to PM whenever.. we are getting to know this Airstream inside and out.

Fulltiming was a big huge leap. We are only in our 30's and still need to work. It took 3 or so years of planning and execution to get here. So far we are loving it. Only about 2/3 across the country on the first loop, a long way to go before we stop. I think we made the right choice with a 25' Airstream. Good balance between space and ability to get into smaller campgrounds. We packed light and found space for everything (Though we are thinking of getting some kayaks).

-tim
(From the Missoula MT Wallmart parking lot)
Old 07-18-2019, 06:17 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Blythewood , South Carolina
Congrats and enjoy your ride safely.
thomaspanton is offline   Reply With Quote