Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 1997 - 1999 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2014, 08:11 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
Red face Assessing the price of a 1998 Safari

I am on the market, and found a 98 Safari that looks in good shape, with some cosmetic body damage. I looked through the pricing guide, but it only addresses through the 1970s models.

Any Safari owners out there, mid 90s models, who have bought recently or sold, on the East coast?

I am not an owner yet, but hope to be soon!
mizzadventur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I purchased a 99 25ft safari about 3 years ago. I am in nova also if you have any questions

Jack
Jackstincan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
Jack, thanks for your note! Do you mind me asking what you paid for yours and its condition? From a dealer or private owner? Do you think 18k for a 1998 in decent condition (aside from cosmetic body damage) is reasonable?

Any tips on what to check in order to assess its condition?
Old 03-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Cosmetic body damage is not cheap or easy to fix. Are you talking dents or failing clear coat?

Same as Jack, we bought our 1999 25' Safari almost 3 years ago. It had failing clear coat but otherwise in good shape. 18k seems high to me.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
I agree 18k seems high for a 98. It really gets down to how well the trailer has been maintained and what will need replacing in the near future.

So is 18k in the ball park? Maybe

This forum is really great resource to understand what are the common issues owners have with trailers. The search feature works very well

I have been very happy with my trailer and I have been able to fix anything that has broken so far. I would highly recommend the trailer to anyone but I think a little of setting expectation is important.

Here is my short list of what I would look for:

Water leaks:
My rear storage under the bed had a leak and it took me a while find it and get it dried out. Take your time and look and smell every ware .

Tires: My trailer has 14 inch tires. There are lots of concerns about st tires from many here on the forum you could read those post for days. So make sure tires are fairly new and you understand the overall concerns about issues around st tires.

Windows: the company that made the windows is no longer in business. You can maintain them but know that parts maybe hard to get.

Axle: these types of axle used wear out overtime and if the trailer has been sitting a lot it will speed up the wear. Good information here on the forum on what you need to look out for

Ac, fridge, water heater:if original there is always the risk something will stop working. All mine have worked well since I have had the trailer.

Clear coat: they all peel the question is at some point you will need to either have it re coated or polish the trailer. Saving for a polisher myself

Gaskets around vents: make sure they are in good condition. Bathroom vents etc

Bearings and brakes : bearings are re packed with new seals and brakes are in good working order

Interior: a lot of my plastic latches and knobs have need to be replaced because the have gotten brittle. Few $ here and there

Awnings : mine has an AE and not a zipdee. The zipdee is supposed to be a better product. Mine is in good shape but I need to have one of the lower brackets remounted this year.

Hitch : lots of different hitches available with a wide range of cost. Some of the more expensive hitches can be $2k. Should ask what comes with the trailer.

I am sure that I have not covered everything but should give you a good start to questions to ask the seller.

Please send me a secure message and I will be happy to provide more details

Jack
Old 03-16-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

the plains , Virginia
also looking

Are you referencing the 98 Safari in F'burg, VA, at Safford? I saw that one too and was kind of interested.
jdcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:55 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamp View Post
Are you referencing the 98 Safari in F'burg, VA, at Safford? I saw that one too and was kind of interested.
Yes, in fact I am referencing the one in Fredericksburg. I have a hold on it through tomorrow so I can figure out financing.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackstincan View Post
I agree 18k seems high for a 98. It really gets down to how well the trailer has been maintained and what will need replacing in the near future.

So is 18k in the ball park? Maybe

This forum is really great resource to understand what are the common issues owners have with trailers. The search feature works very well

I have been very happy with my trailer and I have been able to fix anything that has broken so far. I would highly recommend the trailer to anyone but I think a little of setting expectation is important.

Here is my short list of what I would look for:

Water leaks:
My rear storage under the bed had a leak and it took me a while find it and get it dried out. Take your time and look and smell every ware .

Tires: My trailer has 14 inch tires. There are lots of concerns about st tires from many here on the forum you could read those post for days. So make sure tires are fairly new and you understand the overall concerns about issues around st tires.

Windows: the company that made the windows is no longer in business. You can maintain them but know that parts maybe hard to get.

Axle: these types of axle used wear out overtime and if the trailer has been sitting a lot it will speed up the wear. Good information here on the forum on what you need to look out for

Ac, fridge, water heater:if original there is always the risk something will stop working. All mine have worked well since I have had the trailer.

Clear coat: they all peel the question is at some point you will need to either have it re coated or polish the trailer. Saving for a polisher myself

Gaskets around vents: make sure they are in good condition. Bathroom vents etc

Bearings and brakes : bearings are re packed with new seals and brakes are in good working order

Interior: a lot of my plastic latches and knobs have need to be replaced because the have gotten brittle. Few $ here and there

Awnings : mine has an AE and not a zipdee. The zipdee is supposed to be a better product. Mine is in good shape but I need to have one of the lower brackets remounted this year.

Hitch : lots of different hitches available with a wide range of cost. Some of the more expensive hitches can be $2k. Should ask what comes with the trailer.

I am sure that I have not covered everything but should give you a good start to questions to ask the seller.

Please send me a secure message and I will be happy to provide more details

Jack
Jack, your list is very helpful. Thank you. I realize I have to be prepared for replacements and repairs. Reading your list gives me a good idea of what I might have to address. I am wary of having it at a campground, away from a repair shop, and having to figure it out myself or tow it back. I plan to live in it a good portion of the year.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:05 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
Cosmetic body damage is not cheap or easy to fix. Are you talking dents or failing clear coat?

Same as Jack, we bought our 1999 25' Safari almost 3 years ago. It had failing clear coat but otherwise in good shape. 18k seems high to me.
It's body damage - looks like a previous owner backed into a low overhang, or maybe a limb fell on it... it doesn't look like failing clear coat, just a large indent. Although I can see that the clear coat in some places is peeling.

I was reading your WatsonsWander blog - your trailer looks great and it's inspiring!
Old 03-16-2014, 07:18 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
The only way to take out most dents is to replace the panel. This is very expensive and can be made even more so if the inner panel needs to be removed. This could be a $2,000 dent.

It looks like it has windows that do not open all the way. These are not as good or as desirable as the windows on the more expensive models that fully open.

If it has 14" wheels this is another strike against it. 15" wheels have 12" brakes and the tires carry a higher load, ie. they have a higher safety margin.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Vienna , Virginia
That is a pretty good ding on the back. You can do a lot better for $18k.

I was thinking that the 18k price was about 15% to 20% high on an avg condition trailer. You then need to take off for the dent and what ever else needs attention.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:37 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1998 25' Safari
Alexandria , Virginia
I can't figure out how to start a new topicClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1396661729.470059.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	755.1 KB
ID:	208981. Anyone had success finding a shower head kit that fits in their shower faucet (see pic)? The one that came with mine is leaking dramatically at the point of attachment. Looks like the company is Alons.