Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2004, 03:43 PM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Water Pump - 2004 Classic

We just had our water pump replaced due to a faulty check valve. When we were connected to city water, the valve in the pump allowed water to slowly migate into the fresh water tank.

One of the things that impressed me was the quietness of the pump on the Classic, compared to the Safari pump. As far as I was concerned it was whisper quiet.

Unfortunately this new pump, even though it is identical to the old, is significantly louder. For all intents its like the pump in my Safari. Its also loud enough that it vibrates the bathroom sink drain plug lever in the hole it sits in.

I checked the mounting and all seems to be proper. Maybe my original pump was so quiet due to the questionable check valve?

The pump seems to operate fine so maybe its a matter of the old was defective and this one is normal or am I just to damn picky?

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

What is the brand and model of the pump?

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 04:20 PM   #3

Fenton , Missouri
Its a Sureflo although I'll have to check the model number when I get home from work. They did install the exact same model. Interesting the web site for Sureflo recommends flexible water lines on each side of the pump to reduce vibration being transmitted through the water lines.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-25-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
Obsessed with Moonunit

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Love It Here , Colorado
I just put up a post re: water pump recommendations today also because our water pump was laboring and little water flow coming thru. Before many could respond, my husband came home w/a Shurflow Premier Pump - Model #2088-422-444. It is exactly what we had before and seems to run fairly quiet. He had no problem w/installation and the price was reasonable for around $70. Maybe you could trade to see if you like a different model better. Ours is a 2.8GPM.

"When a great ship is in harbour and moored, it is safe, there can be no doubt. But that is not what great ships are built for." by Clarissa Pinkola-Estes, author of ‘Women Who Run With the Wolves’
COArgosy78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 05:32 PM   #5

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Its a Sureflo although I'll have to check the model number when I get home from work. They did install the exact same model.
Jack
Well I'm wrong it is an Aquatec 5503-4V15-B636!
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-25-2004, 05:38 PM   #6

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera
Well I'm wrong it is an Aquatec 5503-4V15-B636!
Here is the write up on their web page.
Aquajet RV (OEM version)

In early 2000, Aquatec introduced the first variable speed water pump developed for the RV industry. The Aquajet RV is a digitally controlled pump that automatically adjusts motor speed to maintain pressure as multiple water fixtures are used. Eliminates irritating pressure drops and the need for bulky accumulator tanks. Patented 5-valve design delivers up to twice the flow (5 gpm) and pressure (60 psi) of traditional RV pumps. Dramatically quieter than competitive pumps at similar performance levels. Exclusive “soft start” feature eliminates rapid cycling noises. Built for superior product life and reliability. Runs dry without damage.

Almost two dozen leading RV manufacturers now provide the Aquajet RV as standard equipment on their higher-end coaches. These pumps are IAPMO and CSA approved
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-25-2004, 07:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

The Aquajet pumps are very quiet. They too need flex lines for the first 18" or so on both sides to help isolate them. You also want a trombone loop on the output side. This loop, even if braided flex, wants some isolation - a bit of foam, a scrap of carpet, something.

But here is the deal. They put out a LOT of water. They are also pressure limited. So, they pump a large volume of water, it builds pressure in the lines - more than the plumbing can handle, the lines drain down, the pump comes on again. This all happens very rapidly, so rapidly that it pulses, causing vibration that resonates through the system.

On the back of the pump head is a very small allen key head. 1/16th, if memory serves. This adjusts the pressure. What you want to do is open a tap full and decrease (clockwise turn, I think) the pressure until the pulsing stops and it runs a nice solid stream. This should reduce your noise dramatically.

If not, you will have to isolate the source. If it is the pump itself, the installer failed to screw down the pump solidly to the mount, or maybe they overtightened the screws so that the rubber feet are over compressed. Or Pex was connected directly to the pump, rather than braided hose. Or they failed to make the requisite output loop. Or carelessly allowed a piece of PEX to come right up against a panel.

It is all very tedius, as I well know, but it does work.

Good luck,

Mark
Old 06-25-2004, 08:09 PM   #8

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
The Aquajet pumps are very quiet. They too need flex lines for the first 18" or so on both sides to help isolate them. You also want a trombone loop on the output side. This loop, even if braided flex, wants some isolation - a bit of foam, a scrap of carpet, something.

. This should reduce your noise dramatically.

If not, you will have to isolate the source. If it is the pump itself, the installer failed to screw down the pump solidly to the mount, or maybe they overtightened the screws so that the rubber feet are over compressed. Or Pex was connected directly to the pump, rather than braided hose. Or they failed to make the requisite output loop. Or carelessly allowed a piece of PEX to come right up against a panel.

It is all very tedius, as I well know, but it does work.

Good luck,

Mark
Thanks for the advice Mark. I can tell you that there is no loop nor are there flex lines...but that's how the factory installed it. Water flow is very smooth but I will look at that adjustment. The pump is screwed down onto the rubber mounts but like you said it may be too tight. I'll poke around tomorrow and see if I can tweak things. There is an FAQ on Aquajet's web site that talks about tightening some of screws on the case to eliminate noise. I'll let you know what I find.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
Old 06-26-2004, 07:18 AM   #9
Rivet Master

I am paranoid that I have a bad pump

I just reinstalled my Aquatec ES. I put braided flex hose on both sides.
I used teflon tape on all fittings, and tightened them ( still leaks a little)
I loosened the the mounting screws so the bushings weren't compressed.
Aquatec boasts a 90% reduction in noise level over " other " pumps.
I haven't experienced that noise reduction. I am going to try foam pipe insulation on the pex, and the pressure adjustment if I can find it. Where Is it ? I would think that they would have shown where it is located on the spec sheet or the instalation sheet. I hope the pressure adjustment will quiet it down. I will let you know.
Aquatec also boasts that you can run a shower and use a faucet at the same time. But when I tried it there was a noticible reduction in flow when
a second faucet was opened.
I am seriously thinking of trading " down " to a Shurflo Whisper King. A weaker pump may also solve my slow drip leak.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 08:03 AM   #10
Rivet Master

The adjuster is in the pump head, in the black end, about the center, I think.

My recollection is that the Aquajet ES has no fittings that can be tightened, nor could teflon tape be used. I believe it has barbed fittings. [Edit - In looking at the online instructions they speak of threaded fittings being provided as well. I don't think mine came with any. I know I used hose clamps because I remember tightening one later.].

Mark
Old 06-26-2004, 09:33 AM   #11
Rivet Master

My Aguatec ES has has an O ring (bayonet?) connector that locks into the the pump , and it has a plastic 1/2 inch thread nipple on the hose end of the connector. The hose end leaked without teflon tape.
AND, I think that I found the pressure adjustment on the pump.

Warning the retaining slide clip is easy to slide open and it will eject the hose from the pump if there is any pressure left in the lines , or if the pump is turned on. You WILL get wet.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 12:38 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

I missed saying hello to Canavera.

I am quite sure you were parked right next to us at at Bill Thomas Campers Sales. Your name was on your window. Then next time I looked you had pulled out. We were the white Suburban with the 34 foot.

We took ours in to check the slide-out. They had to do some adjustment underneath. We haven't opened it yet to try it. Sure hope it will space evenly now. We were leveling correctly. It looks like it would have an even gap when pulling but it always sits metal to metal on the front side. Anyway, we won't know for a few months.

Our mirror fell off the wall and got caught when trying to open the slide out. Nothing holding it but sticky tape on the back of the trim piece. I can't imagine how AIRSTREAM figured that was going to hold. It was quite a trick fishing that out with a bent coathanger. No damage to anything but the mirror. Glad it was safety glass or that would have been impossible to clean up with the slide barely out. You can't see the mirror when the slide is in. Dealer said they can fix it so it won't come off.
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 09:56 PM   #13

Fenton , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrnaw
I am quite sure you were parked right next to us at at Bill Thomas Campers Sales. Your name was on your window. Then next time I looked you had pulled out. We were the white Suburban with the 34 foot.
Yes that was my trailer. It was up there Monday for service and I picked it up about 6:30 or so. Sorry I missed you!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15

Tags
2004 classic