Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2004, 06:33 AM   #1
JerryG

2004 31' Classic
Louisville , Kentucky
Question Rear Storage Area Question -2004 Classic

I am back with another question. When I purchased my 2004 Airstream Classic 31' last month I found that the rear storage area, beneath the bed, is carpeted and has a clear plastic sheet covering the carpet that is tacked down.

There is condensation forming on the bottom of the plastic. My question is: Should that plastic sheeting be there or should it have been removed a long time ago?

Although it does provide protection for the carpet, it seems to me that the condensation build up is not a good idea.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions would once again be greatly appreciated. Ya'll sure have helped me out with other questions.
2004 Dodge Ram Quad 2500
seamusthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 07:52 AM   #2
Craftsman

Remove the plastic . My guess is the carpet is installed plastic put on over it to protect it during furniture installation. Take it out . You don't want condensation forming under the plastic. It's creating a nice warm moist or wet inviorment for future rot.
Old 10-13-2004, 09:30 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree that if you see condensation, you should remove the plastic, but I am a bit concerned why you are seeing condensation under the plastic.

I have the same plastic under my front sofa and I left it because I slide the storage tubs in an out a bunch and I have not seen any condensation. Keep in mind though in my case the carpet in front of the sofa has the plastic removed which might also help. To add to the mix further, on our Bambi which was carpted throughout most of the coach, that year we owned it, I left the plastic on it and never saw any condensation. Not to say I couldn't have missed it, but I don't recall ever seeing it either.

At any rate, I'd remove it, but also want to understand why the condensation appeared (hot/cold fast temp change, leak, etc).
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:04 AM   #4
JerryG

2004 31' Classic
Louisville , Kentucky
Answer to questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
I agree that if you see condensation, you should remove the plastic, but I am a bit concerned why you are seeing condensation under the plastic.

I have the same plastic under my front sofa and I left it because I slide the storage tubs in an out a bunch and I have not seen any condensation. Keep in mind though in my case the carpet in front of the sofa has the plastic removed which might also help. To add to the mix further, on our Bambi which was carpted throughout most of the coach, that year we owned it, I left the plastic on it and never saw any condensation. Not to say I couldn't have missed it, but I don't recall ever seeing it either.

At any rate, I'd remove it, but also want to understand why the condensation appeared (hot/cold fast temp change, leak, etc).
It appears the condensation is due to temperature changes. No leaks I can find.
2004 Dodge Ram Quad 2500
seamusthegray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Jerry G.---I would remove the plastic and get it completely dry then monitor the area for wet or damp spots during rainy weather, wet road driving etc. If there's a leak anywhere under the plastic moisture like you describe will show up. Was sitting in a rain storm at Grand Canyon and happened to see a drop of water run from under a panel behind our dinnet. I checked the roof later at home and found they had miss drilled 3 holes when putting the top sheet of roofing on. They just left these holes open, made no attempt to seal them. Have seem autos with wheel well leaks that let road mositure come up from the bottom. Would also look for plumbing in that area. Water leaks are tough to find. It's quit possable there are no leaks but you should be able to determine this yourself. If you do have one and can locate it yuorself it's to your advantage. It's not likly any dealer will speed the time it takes to trace it down unless it's very obvious.
Pieman
MikeL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 classic