Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2011, 04:59 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Sierra Vista , Arizona
I'll admit after reading the posts about the teflon shims I'm a bit gun shy about adjusting them. I did notice today that I have a pretty distinctive rut in the top right (aft) side. I e-mailed tech support and their first two questions were whether the coach was level and the stabilizers were down. I'm awaiting their response. My other issue is the fore (front) side doesn't close flush with the coach. I have to nudge it close with the manual locks once inside. Will keep you posted...
jsamuel8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Vinnie,

Crawled under my slide yesterday to make a similar correction, top front tight, top rear had excessive gap. With your pics and write up, got it for now but I'll be watching it.
I referenced on the side gaps, trying to equalize.

Also gave me chance to see what it would take to do a manual operation. Not pleasant, but doable.

Thanks for the write up.

16's are in the cards for early 2014.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 09:25 PM   #23
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Glad it worked out Gary,

Are you getting much wear in the fiberglass from the teflon guides?

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 07:21 PM   #24
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Vinnie,

I need to take a closer look. I saw a little scuffing but not much. This slide also has power travel clamps to lock it in. Also I can't give an accurate mileage on the chassis so maybe low mileage we've only ran it in SC and NC and hasn't caused as much wear, don't know.

Gary
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
Old 01-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Hi Vinnie and Gary,
I have a 2004 34' lounge slide. Owned the trailer about a year and have no end of trouble with my slide. Same story as yours...too tight in the front top corner and too big of a gap upper rear corner. When I deploy the slide I get a lot of groaning from the seal and the motor labors. I frequently shear pins in the drive mechanism underneath. It has gotten so bad that I carry around a bunch of spare pins with me whenever I travel. Pics look the same as yours...I have the damaged looking metal trim in front and I have sheared 5 rivets. The Airstream dealer up in Austin wont adjust it as he is afraid he will make it worse, lose his reference point and end up chasing his tail trying to get it back on center. I am not afraid to tackle the project but wanted to touch base with you before I start messing with this thing. Any additional advice you might have beyond what is in this thread would be really appreciated ! Thanks !
Dean
Go_Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:27 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2002 30' Classic S/O
Banning , California
Hi Vinnie,
I have an 01 70th anniversary Classic w/slide. I am experiencing the same alignment situation that you describe. I am not able to do the fix myself and would like to know who might be able to do it ? I live in So. Cal near Palm Springs. Any suggestions ?
Thanks,
Chip
Chipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 08:13 AM   #27
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello Dean and Chip,

The procedure is time consuming but not impossible and in my opinion you can only make things better. The adjustments are pretty logical and very accessable with the slide open. Once you see what it is you are trying to achieve just make small movements on the adjuster and you can usually bring it back in. As you see I added some blocks at the teflon to keep things in alignment while traveling. I could chat with you about it if you want more info.

707-974-7613

Vinnie

Old 01-17-2014, 04:48 PM   #28
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Dean,
Chip,

I had some luck with Vinnie's write up and I'm a bit reluctant to teach a skill that I've only done once but I'd like to offer my .02$. I don't know why the slide got out of position a bit knowing why or what would be interesting.

I'm suggesting thinking of the slide compartment much like a kitchen drawer. It moves in and out, supported by the extension slides and we want it centered and positioned correctly and important part, not rubbing hard on any of the seal more than just a balanced wiping action.

Suggestion, with the slide partially extended use your hand to get a feel for the position of the slide compartment vs the wiping seals, just judge the gap and make a note of its position. The sides and top can be seen from the inside pretty well. Now the slightly trickier part, the bottom seal. Got to go under neath and look at the seal to compartment. Is the compartment bearing a bit of weight and rubbing hard, creating additional friction and load on the drive system? Mine was rubbing a bit hard on the bottom rear. As I adjusted it, I had to raise the compartment a bit until I got a reduction in weight applied at that point, the slide stating sliding better.

I did not see the inside wheels of the system, so can't report on that. But with Vinnie's starting point, not to hard to visualize and while I haven't put a season on it yet, I did manage to balance the compartment to body gaps and get it "floating" on the seals rather evenly.

Dean, If you can replace the drive pin, you have the skills to adjust, just take it easy.

Gary
Old 01-18-2014, 06:39 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Vinnie and Gary,
Thank you so much for the help. I looked under there last night and the foot bolts/nuts that I need to adjust are pretty rusty. I am going to soak them in WD-40 for a couple days and then give it a try. Thank you so much for your phone number. I am hoping I wont need to bother you. I will let you know how it turns out.
Dean
Go_Navy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 05:39 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Westcliffe , Colorado
New to Airstream...picking up 2001 30' w/SO 70th anniversary

Hello Airslide,

I see you have the 70th anniversary classic. We are picking up the same next week. How are you finding/enjoying your trailer? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!
SueYour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:48 PM   #31
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hello and welcome to the Airforums.

Glad you found us and excited about your 70th anniversary S/O.
We are living full time in ours as of last week and loving it. We purchased our unit in 2008 and have been very happy with all the functionality. The slide gives you a bit more room where people like to congregate and it always seems to get alot of attention. I did have some challenges with the slide originally but now that's resolved and trouble free. These units are heavy with alot of tongue weight. What will you be towing with? Make sure you put the stabilizers down before the slide goes out. The frame likes to be nice and even when the slide is moving and if this step is missed I think it contributes to the slide being forced out of adjustment. Feel free to call with questions anytime.

Cheers Vinnie

Old 02-22-2014, 06:18 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Westcliffe , Colorado
Hi and thanks for the input! Glad to hear your positive input about this unit. We currently have a small (19') Forest River trailer and have been very disappointed in the quality, hence our venture into Airstream. We'll be pulling this with a 2006 Dodge diesel 3/4 ton.

Enjoy your full timing experience. We have no plans to full time at this point, some snowboarding, etc.

Thanks again!
Sue
Old 02-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
Westcliffe , Colorado
Correction...snow birding...
Old 05-18-2019, 06:57 AM   #34
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
These slide posts appear to have been around for a while although the mechanics are the same. Just hoping you experienced fellows are still on this thread. I've made all kinds of adjustments to my slide and it works great except for dragging on the interior carpet. My final conclusion is that my floor rollers are mounted about 1/4 to 1/2 inches too low in the floor. I'm thinking that my slide needs to be extended out far enough to shim the existing rollers up or to replace them with adjustable rollers. Has anyone disconnected their slide, removed the interior boarder & cabinets so the slide will go out far enough to get at the rollers?
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 07:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
To answer your question, no. However my slide appears to be coming in at an angle and will likely rub on the new floor going in next month. When it gets in the top contacts first and then the leading edge raises up. My plan is to lower the outer edge slightly with the adjustment bolts. I am hoping that the effect will be to raise the leading edge more than it drops the outside due to the placement of the rollers. I will follow this thread in case my plan doesn’t work.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:11 AM   #36
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
I've already tried your adjustment plan. It didn't work for me. By the time my slide stopped dragging on the interior floor, the outside was too low or out of adjustment in other was yes that tweaking can't adjust. My floor rollers are definately too low and I believe that is the real problem with other slides that never seem to work exactly right.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:24 AM   #37
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
The slide rollers are not height adjustable. There is no way to shim the roller itself (there are four total) so you would have to re-install them with some sort of lifting collar (as done here with 1/8" luan).

Here is a picture of an original install under the slide floor as seen when the carpeting is removed.

The other avenue is to install a more dense, less thick foam pad under the carpet if "brushing" the carpet is that concerning. I don't consider fiber contact that doesn't crush the fibers an issue that can be described as "not working properly."

I replaced my carpeting with a thin foam pad and luxury vinyl flooring which was less thick than the original foam/carpet layers. I also was able to successfully drop the outer slide adjustment slightly to ensure there was no contact when the slide moved in/out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Roller View 1.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	341025   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slide Roller View 2.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	277.9 KB
ID:	341026  

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 10:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMore View Post
The slide rollers are not height adjustable. There is no way to shim the roller itself (there are four total) so you would have to re-install them with some sort of lifting collar (as done here with 1/8" luan).

Here is a picture of an original install under the slide floor as seen when the carpeting is removed.
Dave,

By original install, did you mean the factory did that? My rollers appear to be sitting down in a recess in the subfloor.

Thanks,

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:03 AM   #39
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Dave,

Any chance to mark up a pic and re-post? I'm confused and looking for landmarks.

A warm day in SC.

Gary
Old 05-18-2019, 12:05 PM   #40
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I don't have markup ability at the moment. By 'original' I meant the 'factory' installed the luan. My rollers are surface mounted as opposed to Al's being recessed mounted.

The slide is in the OUT position in the photo. You are looking at the forward (hitch) side of the dinette seating. The four rollers are under each of the vertical seat cabinet elements in my trailer and all are in a line forming the fulcrum point. Your fingers can touch the rollers fore and aft at the outer edges.

The rollers are about six-eight inches (guesstimate) inside the trailer as measured from the exterior wall and back from the leading edge of the slide floor the same distance when in the OUT position. You can confirm the location of the inner two by sliding a yard stick under the leading edge between the carpet and slide floor.

I suspect the rollers would be revealed for access/remounting if the slide stops were backed-off and the slide opened to the maximum position without actual removal from the shell. Of course, that would entail constructing a supporting structure under the exterior shell when it is pulled out that far. Once you allow the slide to travel too far, you'd be in a whole different scenario getting it back in.

I believe a wedge/lift inserted between the rollers and exterior shell is necessary to keep the slide from dropping off the rollers which would be the impairment to returning the slide shell in at the proper height. Most (or all?) of the slide weight rides on the rollers.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2002 classic