Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-31-2002, 02:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Questions about new 2002 Classic

We are the happy owners of a new 2002 Classic 25'. Since we have only towed it from the dealer in Apache Jct. to Oro Valley (Tucson) can't complain/question much there.....it is mostly flat from there to here.

How did our trailer get from the factory in Jackson Center, OH to Apache Jct., AZ?

How do I keep her, (my wife names all vechicles, trailers) Ariel, looking new? We pay for covered storage; is JOY liquid OK?

Is there anyway to take out small scratches? (related to quest. on "how did it get from OH to AZ)

Was it aligned at the factory?

It came with a rim but no tyre for the spare; can I buy any old auto tyre as long as it is the right size?

Can I use the polymer, PROTECT ALL, on the A/S? I have a gallon and a half left over from the traded-in MH. (It was fiberglas)

Thank you in advance for helping me.

Sincerely,

Kistler
Brenda
Murphy (the cat)
Misty (the dog)
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 03:27 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Edina , Minnesota
Congrats on your new purchase.

Regarding the care of the outside, I use Armorall Car Wash concentrate per instructions to clean and Walbernize (recommended by Airstram) for wax.

www.walbernize.com

Others will have to answer the transportaion and scratch issue (I've not found a way, so I am interested as well.)

Have fun!!
JaceBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 03:34 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Bigfork , Montana
Congratulations on your new AS. Covered storage will help alot to keep it looking good. I am told a mild cleaner such as MaGuire's should be used for cleaning, but I don't see why Joy shouldn't be OK. AS reccomends a product called Walbernize (a liquid wax) be applied twice a year. Your trailer should have been delivered to the dealer via flatbed or vehicle carrier truck, and any scratches incurred during shipping should be taken care of by the dealer. Also, the spare tire should be there on a new unit. DO NOT put an auto tire on the rim, tire must be rated for the axle weight of the trailer. The dealer should provide you with the proper tire. Good luck.
Rickk48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 04:01 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

I would check with the dealer and verify that a tire does not come with your unit. My 2002 Safari was ordered with the upgrade package and part of that package is the spare tire. I would have thought the more expensive Classic would come with one also.

Larry Ruebel
Bismarck ND
Ruebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 04:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Dishwashing liquids like Dawn and Joy will strip the wax off your clearcoat. Use a product that is designed to clean the vehicle but will not strip off wax. Turtle Wax makes a product called Zip Car Wash and Armorall makes a Car Wash. Camping World has a number of products that will clean the trailer without stripping wax. Walbernize is a good product if you have the clearcoat still on.

Do a forum search on washing products or car wash and there is a thread with suggestions that fine car detailers use that are compatible with your trailer. I remember Cat checking with someone who gave some good recommendations that were accepted by the forum.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 07:56 PM   #6
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Clearcoat, not on a 2002

There is no clearcoat on recent Airstreams. The exterior metal comes from Alcoa with a painted finish like an automobile.

Anything that is suitable for your car is equally suitable for the current Airstreams. My 2003 International manual says "washing with any mild non-abrasive soap or detergent."
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2002, 10:19 PM   #7

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Kistler,

Your new trailer was most likely towed from Jackson Center or came on a flatbed truck to your dealership. There are a number of folks who are in the business of towing or hauling trailers from manufacturers to dealer sites. Mine was towed.

Keep it washed and Walbernized (use the Super Seal product). I wash mine with Armor All car wash. It contains no amonia products or petroleum. It will not wash away the Walbernize product. I Walbernize just prior to bringing my Safari to its winter inside storage home. It sits on an outside storage lot from April through October.

I normally wash it before going on a trip, and I wash it again upon return. That keeps the finish looking good and the bugs and road tar wash right off.

Walbernize will tend to hide most small scratches although it will not hide a scratch that goes through the Alcoa finish. On my tour of the factory I noticed that one of the last things done on the assembly line is a close inspection of the exterior of the trailers to make sure that there are no scratches.

If the lack of a tire is not a mistake, buy a load D rated trailer tire.

Protect-All should be ok, I have some leftover from my old trailer but I would rather use Walbernize.

It will be interesting to see how the Alcoa finish holds up. A/S had some real problems with the old clear coat product in the late 90's and escentially decided to give up the process and build the trailers with precoated panels from Alcoa. I think that 1998 or 99 was the first year they did this.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2002 classic