Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-12-2003, 03:05 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
CD player option? in 2002 Classic w/Sony

I was a little disappointed that the 25' 2002 Classic did not have a CD player built-in. It has a tape player and radio AND it is really hard for me to figure out.

Was the CD player/changer an option? Can I add it after market easily? I think it is a Sony system......can't find the book here at home; must be in the trailer in storage.

Do any of you have this system with a CD player?

2002 Classic 25'
2003 Expedition EB 5.4L, AWD, AdvanceTrac Class IV hitch pkg. Reese dual cam/Prodigy
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:36 PM   #2
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Kistler,

if it's a standard automotive stereo install, they're very easy to replace. The AM/FM cassette in my '94 was bad when I bought it. I replaced it in about 30 mins with a new Sony AM/FM/CD player.

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 03:53 PM   #3
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
cd

kistler

roger is right, not a bad job at all.

my '92 had a am/fm cassette that i replaced with a no name am/fm/cd from target. less than 100 bucks.

the wiring is very simple if you follow the instructions and look in your manual for the color codes.

another advantage to changing it out is to get the new mounting system (yours may have this already). it is called a d.i.n. mounting and requires only two small pieces of metal to remove the unit, slid alongside the radio to release it.

that means that later on you can just slide your radio out and replace it with another.

plug and play.

you may want to check if you have this mounting system already installed. your change out may be as easy as sliding out the old and inserting a new radio. no wiring!

john
Old 12-12-2003, 08:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
qoo qoo koo juu

kistler
you can do what you want in reason....i pulled the stock sony and replaced it with a Blaupunkt that is older than my rig...i also added a cooling fan...next is a cig socket so i can stick a sony cd add on...is this a little crazy?...i dont know....i guess i cant now afford a new bp but the old one is pretty f****ng awesome as far as im concerned and my musical preference doesnt require a subwoofer....although.....
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:42 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
We have a 2002 (Bambi) which has the Sony radio/tape player setup. I went to Best Buy & bought the CD holder, which has a 10 CD capacity. The Radio was CD ready, just needed the CD unit, which plugs in the back of the radio. I would think that your unit is simular. I'll check tomorrow & see if I still have the box which would have the model #, etc. It works really great.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 08:46 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
cd

i bought one with an adapter that pluga into the cassette opening...relatively cheap...65 bucks with tx....now have spend another 7 bucks for a socket....

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 12-12-2003, 08:54 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey before running out to get a CD player, consider getting a good MP3 player (iPod) and then, you get a tape adapter that can plug your MP3 player of choice (iPod) into the coach. Some newer stereos even have a plug on the outside for an MP3 player (iPod).

FWIW, you can run out an buy a CD player, but why, you gotta lug all those CDs. With a good MP3 player (iPod) you can have thousands of songs any way you like it in a small footprint.

It's what I do....I buy songs from the iTunes music store for .99, get exactly the songs I like, add songs from CDs I have and there you have it, over 15 hours of music on my iPod which is something smaller than a Walkman and I plug it right into the factory installed Sony tape player.....one unit, hundreds if not thousands of songs without all the tapes and CDs

Just a thought.....

Did I mention that I have an iPod?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2003, 09:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
hello mr mac...

since i am not on the cutting edge of technology... and i just bought this walkman.....i guess im stuck with it... not that i mind....how many songs do i need?...just kidding......got plenty....white line fever....a sickness born deep in my soul....
norby

Old 12-13-2003, 06:53 AM   #9
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Another thing to think about if you are replacing the factory unit is that if you stay wit a Sony it should be plug compatible. No wiring, depending on how Airstream wired it in.

Also if you replace it with one that has a set of aux RCA inputs on the back, then you can use them to jack in anything. Ipod, DVD Player, Video game, Even the output from the TV.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 07:17 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1996 30' Excella
Brighton , Michigan
In 1996 when we ordered our trailer the standard unit was an AM/FM/Tape and the AM/FM/CD was a $500 option. The trailer came with the Sony am/fm/tape and two years later I replaced it with a Sony am/fm/cd which was on sale at local electronics store for $90. The units looked same however the plugs on the back were different, as a result I had to rewire the speaker connections.
Jim
apple 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 07:49 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Lightbulb

just go out and get a 04 classic 34' with surround sound and subwoofer....you probably have the gelt in your mattress.
norby

Old 12-13-2003, 08:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2002 25' Classic
Oro Valley , Arizona
Veeery funny, Norbert! I really like A.E. Milliman's plan....but appreciate all the suggestions.

Kistler
Kistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2003, 12:45 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

My 93 had a Sony AM/FM/Tape but it was shot. Audio shop replaced it in less than 30 min w/new AM/MF/CD player. Now just need more amp and big subwoffer.

If you guys are Allman Bro's fans they have a new CD that's great. May just be as good as anything they've ever done, and they've done some great music over the years. The title is "hittin the note"
Man i wish I could play like that !

Don

Tags
2002 classic