Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2004, 07:54 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

I think we have all the bugs out now!!! We had our 34 foot limited in twice for problems with the slide out. The second time they got it fixed. The repair man worked quite a long time getting it aligned correctly. It was touching metal on one side at the top. After all that adjusting, it now works perfectly. Now the gap is perfect when we level. Nothing we could do before would make it have the correct gap on each side of the slide. We have been to several rallies this summer. We love this trailer and we also love the Hensley hitch. I hate the price but I know two people in my WBCCI unit that totalled their Airstreams. No they did not have that hitch. The passing trucks don't bother at all. My husband reluctantly let me drive once. It was easy. Would I do it again? yes, yes yes. By all means check out the Hensley hitch. You can do a search and I am sure it will pop right up. They will send you a video.
myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 06:47 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

More than happy with my 30ft slide out , really did want 34ft limited but had to draw the line at the cost somewhere and the wife seems to have a three axle phobia. Got the hensley it is worth it , the video is a little oversell but You will like the hitch. No problems with the slideout itself , had some jack problems corrected by factory , complete vinyl floor replacement due to cuts from the factory(Floor cuts , defects do seem to be a problem for the factory) a wonderful job was done on the replacement , now it looks like the trailer i envisioned , we special ordered complete vinyl wood grain floor like the ccd , except for the bed area. I really love my Airstream
S/OS #010
2004 30ft Slide Out with Hensley Arrow hitch.
Pulled by a 2019 F350 Superduty Limited.
ctdair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 07:53 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

We love our new 2004 28' Safari Slide. No problems at all with slide and only minimal problems overall.

Also... the Hensley is a must in my mind. We love it and won't go with anything else in the future as well.

Tom, and Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by judithd
I am wondering how you are liking your new unit. We are currently looking at the 34' SO
Limited. Any words of wisdom you want to share with us?
My husband and I, live in Alaska and will be leaving it in the lower 48 states, most likely in Washington or Oregon. We are will be purchasing a new truck to pull it with.

I noticed something about the Henseley arrow hitches. Anything you can do to help us out would be appreciated. Thank you Judithd
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 08:48 AM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We have had no problems with the slide out on our Classic. The dealer's first words to me when I picked up the trailer was, "Don't extend the slide without the stabilizer jacks being down first. Don't retract the stabilizer jacks until the slideout is in." I think that's the big key in keeping the slide functioning properly.

We did however learn a new slideout lesson this past week where we spent 6 days in rain. Some of it wind driven. When we were packing up to leave, Patty was inside working the controls and I was outside watching the slide retract. As it was retracting I noticed water coming off the two top sides of the slide. Apparently water had been blown under the Zip-Dee awing which protects the top of the slide.

The inner gasket of the slide was acting like a squeege pushing the water off, but in our case not completely. Patty suddenly stopped and yelled that water was coming off the top of the slide into the trailer. I went in and with a couple of rags dried off the water that had run down the slide walls onto the inside carpet and dried any water left on top of the slide roof.

Nothing terrible, but enough that I will buy a long handled squeege to use in case we see this situation again. Prior to this particular trip we had never had this happen before.

One other thing is to keep those gaskets lubricated. I sprayed them down with silicone. I noticed that the inner gaskets lose some flexability in cold weather and may not flex to their proper position when the slide is retracting. Keeping them lubricated keeps them flexing and will minimize any problems.

As far as hitches go we decided to buy an Equal-i-zer. No regrets at this time. The Classic is extremely stable with this setup.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 01:41 AM   #25
1 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic S/O
Juneau , Alaska
Thumbs up

Thank you for your information regarding the hitches. My husband asked the dealer about the Hensley hitch and he didn't seem to know what we were talking about. He said, the hitches that come standard from the factory seemed to be OK. Actually, do you know the brand? If we did upgrade our hitch should be make sure we have it done at the factory? Also, can you tell me if anyone has seen the units with twin beds in them? What is your take on the resale with twin beds?

Any help you might give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, thanks for the heads up on Colonial Airstream .. they certainly know how to show there goods.

Thank you and looking forward to hearing from you. Judithd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTRK
We love our new 2004 28' Safari Slide. No problems at all with slide and only minimal problems overall.

Also... the Hensley is a must in my mind. We love it and won't go with anything else in the future as well.

Tom, and Frank
judithd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 10:58 AM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by judithd
Thank you for your information regarding the hitches. My husband asked the dealer about the Hensley hitch and he didn't seem to know what we were talking about. He said, the hitches that come standard from the factory seemed to be OK. Actually, do you know the brand?
Hitches are not an Airstream product so there is no "factory hitch". You have your choice of many brands. Obviously many feel the the Hensley is the ultimate hitch and is the best. You pay a hefty price for that setup. There are others however that are very good. I can attest to the Reese Dual-Cam and the Equal-i-zer. Both very good hitches. You will find many folks on the forum who will stand behind their choice of these three hitches. Each Airstream dealer has their opinions and most will order and install any hitch you want.

My previous hitches were Reese but after talking with my dealer I decided to change to the Equal-i-zer with the purchase of my Classic slide out. He has gotten excellent customer feedback and I can attest that I have been very impressed with this hitch.

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 06:32 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic S/O
Juneau , Alaska
ON YOUR INFORMATON ABOUT YOUR SELF YOU SIGN OFF WITH 2 AUZZIES. IS THAT AUZZIES AS IN CATTLE DOGS? IF SO, WE HAVE A 8 YEAR OLD.

JUST CHECKING. ALSO, WHAT COLOR DID YOU SELECT FOR THE INSIDE OF YOUR NEW UNIT? DID YOU SELECT TWIN OR QUEEN? WHAT IS THE ADVANTAGE/DISADVANTAGES IF ANY FROM THE FOLKS OUT THERE?

WE ARE IN THE PROCESS OF ORDERING OUR NEW UNIT. ANY ADVISE YOU MAY HAVE WILL BE MOST APPRECIATED! jUDITHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dee
Oh man Jack- I didn't know you haven't been out in your new Classic yet! Man, that has to be some kind of special torture. I thought I had it bad just waiting a few weeks. I can't imagine how excited you are for the spring. Well, can't wait to hear about your maiden voyage. Have Fun!!!
judithd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 classic