Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2004, 01:18 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
A quality problem - 2003 Classic

The slideout pantry in my Classic has always been balky, but it was impossible to see what was binding. Last week, when I arrived at Inks Lake, I pulled the pantry and it didn't want to move. I thought maybe something had fallen off a shelf and was jamming it. A stronger pull and all hell broke loose. Ball bearings and slide parts flew all over the floor.

Today, I had time to take the pantry out. What I found was that the assemblers had driven a screw through from the wardrobe into the wood where the fixed part of the slide is attached. Unfortunately, they had used a 1 5/8" screw which went clear through the wood and bent the slide outward about 1/2" where the screw hit the metal. The slide had been bent in a sort of S-shape. There was also a long screw projecting from the sink side, but it had missed the slide and put a scratch in the wood.

This pulled out one of the screws that attached the slide to the wood. The pulled out screw had finally jammed the slide.

I already replaced the long screw with one of a more suitable length. I guess I might just go to HD or Lowes and look for some new slides; that will be cheaper and easier than towing to the dealer again and killing a half-day. I will send a gripe to Airstream; there is no reason for such sloppy work..
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:44 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Try and get AS to send one, they can get expensive to repair their screw up.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 01:46 PM   #3
Craftsman

You know that whoever did it knew that it wasn't right. That's the kind of work that I've fired guys for in the past. What you have are "assemblers" on the line. I guess it's hard to take pride in driving a bazillion screws. What's that quality control guys name?
Old 11-04-2004, 04:13 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Take pictures so if something goes really wrong during your repair and you must resort to the dealer they wont blame you for the problem. Those dealers can get weird when they call Airstream service and Airstream denies them warranty payment because you worked on it without their permission.
Tinsel Loaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 06:34 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
When you go to Lowes for a replacement slide, get TWO. If you check the weight rating, you will find that one slide isn't sufficient to hold a full pantry, especially if it comes open on the road. I added a second slide right after we bought our 2002 Safari SS. It takes lots of careful measuring to be sure that they are parallel and properly spaced, so they don't bind. Am glad that I did, as the latch striker was bent and didn't engage. The pantry came open on the road several times before I found the reason. No damage, thankfully.
jimmickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003 classic