Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Classic > 2001 - 2005 Classic
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-12-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
2005 34' Classic Owners

We are considering moving to a 34' Classic SO from our current 30' Safari bunkhouse. I was wanting input from current 34' owners as to any issues particular to these size trailers? I don't expect any great differences but thought I would ask. Any tips that we may need to know. We have dual cam set up on our current trailer.

Thanks
Air #5970
--------------------------
2001 F250 CC 7.3 PSD 4x4 ("Bubba")
2007 34' SO Classic ("Betty Lou II")
Towdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1996 34' Excella
Americus , Georgia
Hi , I don`t have a s/o but I do have a 34ft trailer and really like the extra space. Previously I had only owned 31ft trailers for 14 years and can not tell any difference while towing. Now when I go to some of the state parks that are geared more for smaller trailers then I have problems finding sites that are big enough. If you don`t go to state parks then that won`t matter. Good luck. Davis
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 07:46 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
We recently moved up from a 29 to a 34. Size is noticable difference inside and out. The 29 wasn't a widebody either. But I think we'll enjoy the 34 especially on the longer trips and stays. You have to think ahead about getting in and out of service stations and with a diesel as I have you may not have as many pumps to choose from.) I'm happy with the 34. I'd do again.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:15 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Glad to see the good reports on the 34'. We have been looking for sometime and have found a very nice 87 34' Excella which we plan to pick up this Friday. This is our first trailer and the learning curve looks pretty steep, but I have received good information here and from other AS owners I've met recently.
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #5
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
We've been fulltiming in our 34 for a little over 2 years now. It is nearly perfect for our needs.

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 — Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Towdaddy
We are considering moving to a 34' Classic SO from our current 30' Safari bunkhouse. I was wanting input from current 34' owners as to any issues particular to these size trailers? I don't expect any great differences but thought I would ask. Any tips that we may need to know. We have dual cam set up on our current trailer.

Thanks
You'll love the extra room. It'll just require slightly more thought in planning routes to avoid too many tight squeezes and tail-draggers - these 34's do hang a bit more over the back. You also have to be mindful of the way the rear will swing around in a sharp turn, so as not to whack anyone with it. Beyond that, you won't notice any real difference at all in terms of towability over the 30, other than the increased weight that the SO will bring.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier
Glad to see the good reports on the 34'. We have been looking for sometime and have found a very nice 87 34' Excella which we plan to pick up this Friday. This is our first trailer and the learning curve looks pretty steep, but I have received good information here and from other AS owners I've met recently.
You'll be fine. Just take your time, get your questions answered to your satisfaction, and read all you can. We're always here to help!

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Jump right in, the water is FINE!

TS -

I too started ASin' with a 34'er. Heck, I always liked the deep end of the pool! SilverToy was my first step into the camping life. Go BIG! trailers!

Seriously though, they are fine pulling trailers. There is LOADS of room inside for you and all of you things. If you run out of room in this trailer, then you have other issues....

As others have said, you need to be deliberate pulling into ANYWHERE you haven't been before. You don't want to have to back this size of rig out of anywhere - especially into traffic.

The swing issue is one that I had quite a bit of concern about before pulling SilverToy, but honestly it really hasn't been an issue that has come up for me. But then, I NEVER pull really tight turns. Too much stress on the hitch, the trailer tires (on triples something is ALWAYS rubbing off) and then there are the visibility issues.

Find YOUR trailer, pull it, enjoy the heck out of it!!!!

Any and all questions re your AS should be posted here - there are some of the most knowledgable folks here! And they are all willing and happy to share it all with you, sometimes at length!! All you have to do is ask....

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:00 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
You'll love her!

I've got the 34' S/O lounge, and we love her. I think the one thing you should seriously consider for your purchase is adequate cooling. I traded up from a 31' Classic that had one A/C, 13,500 BTU. It was too small to cool the rig down. When it was 102 outside it would just get down to 90 on the inside, and DuoTherm said that was the best it was going to do with that size rig.

When I ordered the 34, I made sure it would have the second A/C. The forward A/C is 15,000 BTU and the aft unit is 13,500. We were in New Mexico last summer. When it was over 100 outside we were nice and comfortable inside, 75. The rig will be require 50 amps to use the forward A/C, but it's worth the few extra $ to be comfortable.

Oh, don't think it doesn't get hot up north. It was well over 100 for several days at the Rapid City International rally. When we were in Cody, WY it got up into the high 90's. There isn't really any reason to not have enough A/C to keep you comfortable when you're going to spend that much for the rig in the first place.

I'm right with the rest of em - I love the 34' for all the reasons already mentioned, and have no desire for anything else.

Good luck, and enjoy the ride. Tom
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 09:37 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Smile Thanks to all for the input

Thanks to everyone for the input. We assumed that we would have to be more careful getting into service stations and that the size would limit our site selection at campgrounds. The tail-dragging issue was one that we were not aware of and we really appreciate the heads up.

I do have one additional question. We currently pull our trailer with an '01 F250 PSD. This has been adequate for our 30' safari and a 34' is still in the tow range for it. However, we would like to go on a Western tour in the next couple of years and I need to know if I need to consider a power boost (Banks or Bully kit). Again, any advice is appreciated.

BTW, we ordered our new 34' last week.

Thanks again.....
Air #5970
Old 06-18-2006, 09:49 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
The Banks would help but you should not need it. We pull with a older not PS diesel and it does ok. It would depend on your gearing on weather not you would have any problems. Our 34 is not a wide body and I think it is a bit lighter than the newer ones
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 05:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Tow vehicles and 34s

Thanks, Bill -

Glad to know that my stock set up should work.

Any comments on fuel mileage? I currently get 13.5-14.5 mpg pulling my 30' with my diesel. I expect to take a 2 mpg hit with the move to the 34. Is this about right?
Air #5970
Old 06-18-2006, 06:14 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
I usually get between 9 and 13. 9 when I'm in the mountains an 13 where it's pretty flat.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:24 PM   #14
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
Hi I found my 34' airstream Classic Limited (the cat's Meow.)
I had a 1969 airstream sovereign 31' trailer. I found it was easier to back up the 34' trailer. The 34' is longer but in comparison to the big rv motor homes they don't seem to have a hard finding places to camp.
Lets face it ,there is a growing demand for larger camp sites with all the hook-ups available for all types of Campers.
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 02:19 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Psd

We towed the 34 with a 7.3 PSD and it got between 10 - 15 with all variables except the Rockies. There was no noticible engine strain.

We've only towed twice with the 6.0 PSD and it's gotten between 11-12, but the engine just turned 18k miles so that should improve as it ages. The towing has been limited to the Texas hill country and a trip to the Houston area, so the Excursion really didn't have to work all that hard to get us there. The 34 tracks inside the swb on turns, but backs up easier.

Congratulatons on moving to the 34, you'll really enjoy it.

Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 07:09 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

Fond du Lac , Wisconsin
Been on a couple trips now so I can report that I'm pretty consistently in 11.5 range if I'm pulling at about 65.

Changing the World One Child at a Time
www.compassion.com

hookedonclassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 04:34 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Smile Been to Jackson Center to see our 34' Classic

Our dealer provided the build date for our new trailer with the advice that we go toward the end the week window so that we could see it near completion. Unfortunately, I had a meeting yesterday which was the end of our window. So, we went today with hopes that it would not be in the paint shop. We had been wanting to go on the factory tour so getting to see the trailer was the bonus. So we left this morning on the 3.5 hour trek from SW Michigan to Jackson Center for the tour at 2 p.m.

Don, the tour guide, got the VIN number from my wife (funny, she had memorized it but can't remember my work cell phone number) and promised that he would try to find it for us. The tour was really great, Don was a great tour guide and pointed out all the various models in various stages of assembly. We even got to see the Basecamps from a distance but weren't allowed an up close view. As we went along the tour, Don constantly asked the crew about the 34 SO with dual ACs. Finally, we went to the paint shop only to find that it was not there. Don checked with a crew supervisor and found that it was finished and ready to be released. Since it was parked away from the assembly building, he told the other tour members that they could either go with us or head back to the front office. Everyone stayed with us as we went to see the new trailer. We got a quick lookover and everyone stuck their head inside the new trailer. It was great to share the moment with a great group of fellow Airstreamers (actually, I think a couple may be potential Airstreamers!). All in all, our thanks to Airstream and to Don for a special tour and a chance to see the new trailer.

BTW, the new trailer has been christened the Betty Lou II. My dad was an Army Air Corp mechanic in WWII and worked on a B-17 called the Betty Lou. Our current 30' is the Betty Lou, so this one is to be the BLII.

We will continue to post with updates and will try to add pictures once we actually take delivery.

P.S. If you want some decent Mexican food, the El Azteca in Wapakaneta is the place to go. Just remember, you are in the Midwest and even the Mexican food can be a little bland compared to the Texas/Louisiana fare that I grew up on.
Air #5970
Old 08-08-2006, 04:39 PM   #18
Rivet Master

NOVA SCOTIA , CANADA
Hi Jeff,

Congrats on your new coach.How exciting it must have been to see it for the first time and to show it off before you even leave the factory.It's the first time showing it but I'm sure it won't be the last time.

AIR #7916
Ex WBCCI #32083
streamer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:05 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

vancouver , Washington
Smile Our early experiences

The thoughts that come back about our break-in of the new trailer are:
  • the Corian cover on the stove cover DOES burn when cooking, hot pan edges lay against the “folded over lid”. By leaving that lid standing up straight at the back of the stove, we now get about 2 inches more surface space and the metal underside of the lid protects the Corian from singe.
  • In our layout for the 34 foot, the hot water tank bypass valves are easily accessed thru the removed bottom bathroom cabinet drawer (not needed to remove the “access” cover like we did first).
  • the absolute best investment in “trailer toys” and gadgets is the “pressure pro” tire pressure monitors. We have had 2 leaker events that caused NO problem because we were alerted early and could monitor the situation as we proceeded to our next stop. NO deflations should ever sneak up on us!!!!

Best of luck with your new 34 foot.
Allison Duramax 4X4
Hensley Arrow hitch
Kodiak / Actibrake Disc Brakes
Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller
Doran Pressure Pro
WBCCI #2984 Air # 4173
aluminauts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 08:04 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Kalamazoo , Michigan
Talking Picked up the New Unit

Picked up our 34' SO this Friday. Moved to the campground that we have a seasonal site and use as a basecamp. Pulls like a dream - a heavy dream - but a dream nontheless. Amazing how much more room the 34' SO has than our 30' bunkhouse had. Didn't notice any problems towing and it was actually easier backing up than the 30 (according to my wife who is the family expert at this). We currently have the Reese Dual Cams but may upgrade to a PullRite before a really long (both miles and duration) trip.

We both have a definite case of newairstreamitis which is characterized by loss of brain function and euphoria.

I do want to thank everyone for their advice and input. It really helped in getting the correct options (Thanks Stream1529 - the second AC is the trick!) and on what to watch for when pulling the longer unit.

Once I have pictures, either my wife or I will post them. Unfortunately, the campground we use does not have WiFi yet! A point of major contention with most using the park.
Air #5970

Tags
2005 classic