Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-16-2003, 10:15 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks....I think so too!

Rog, not at all....it just means that I'll have 4 maunal ones to replace them with compared to just 2 with the Bambi!

Bob, it is night and day...don't get me wrong, I loved the Bambi, but I agree, the space in this unit is just totally unreal. So much storage and access to things that I normally had to dig to get to....plus all the doors and storage access points from the inside like under the bed and the sofa....

I may just start fulltiming as the coach is nicer than my house...now if only I could get these pinball machines in there without scratching the floor!

Eric
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 10:45 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Really Nice

eric
Congrats`!
Looks great`!
Quote:
I may just start fulltiming as the coach is nicer than my house...now if only I could get these pinball machines in there without scratching the floor!
"load'em up on your puter..man, that's the way to go...lol"

ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:35 PM   #23

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Get out! What is it about computer geeks and pinball machines? We sold all three of ours to pay for the Caravel. Scared Stiff, X Files, and classic Data East Star Wars. I still miss them, but we do have a lot more room in the house now!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 02:03 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Not sure.....I suppose they just go together....I have High Speed, Pinbot and Star Trek TNG-- all Williams.

On the want list is:

High Speed 2 The Getaway
Taxi (Marilyn Monroe)
T2
Funhouse

Also all Williams!

Eric
Old 12-16-2003, 03:29 PM   #25
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
super!

congrats eric.

how did the caprice do towing it home?

looking sharp dude!

john
Old 12-16-2003, 04:58 PM   #26
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally posted by bredlo
Congrats, Eric!

I can't imagine a more opposite "picking up a new trailer" experience from mine than yours... that fresh, clean, new, good-smelling interior... and polished, dent-free, perfectly functioning, fully warrantied exterior - look awfully good right about now. Have a blast!
Brad
One thing about your that is better than Eric's coach, Brad:
Yours cost a lot less...
Seriously, your new unit looks great, Eric. You will have to bring it to Florida for a first trip...
Terry
Old 01-20-2004, 06:32 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
Congratulations!

Was wondering if you could expound a little more on your decision to abandon your poor little Bambino and take off on a Safari.

We are seriously considering a downsize from our 30' Holiday Rambler to a Bambi 19 with the Sofa option. We were thinking that as a week-ender, the Bambi would be ideal. Easier to park, u-turn, explore, find tight camping spots in crowded areas, etc.

Are we making a big mistake? Should we not overreact down to the 19 and stop at the 25?

I notice your black tank holding will still be the same. (Looks like the same bathroom as on the Bambi). How did you adjust to the wider coach? (Need different mirrors?)

Any impressions or recollections of thought processes will be deeply apreciated.

Thanks.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:23 AM   #28
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Stephen & Miriam,

Moving on from the Bambi was not easy as we loved the unit. It was very economical and easy to tow. You can see our actual old Bambi for sale at the dealer we traded it to:

http://adcache.rvtraderonline.com/3/0/6/63058106.htm

Most of the reason was space. Both of us finally got our raises and we had the money to upgrade. We always knew at some point we'd upgrade, but that day came sooner than later for us.

A few reason why we wanted to upgrade is that we go on trips in excess of just a weekend and the Bambi was a challenge sometimes in regards to storage. We loved the dinette, but havig one sink was a pain for washing dishes. We got our Bambi as a special show price and there were some options that we really wanted that we didn't get due to the great show price we received.

The 25' Safari is a bit more complicated to tow compared to the Bambi, but not any harder than a 30' RV, most likely less. Mirrors are the same, but I did upgrade several components on the tow vehicle, but judging from your sig, that won't be an issue for you all with your truck. The 25' Safari had dual axles which make it much more solid to tow, plus when parked, there is less "jaunce" than with the Bambi. We love that it has a dual sink and a larger fridge. There is far more storage in the 25' than we need, which IMHO is a good problem to have. Some don't like the bathroom or the bed config of the "C" Safari, but we both love it. We have no problem with the person on the inside of the bed having to get out in the middle of the night. Nor do we care that the bathroom is a bit tight. We try not to spend too much time in there anyway. The shower space is a huge space though. Another reason was the airflow inside. With more windows, the Safari just has better crosswinds inside than the Bambi did. Plus we ordered the upgrade package that came with one Fantastic Fan and we upgraded further with the second one in the rear. It's like a tornado with them both on! We also like the ducted furnace of the 25' Safari. We find that it distributes the heat better compared to the 19' Bambi and 22' Safari that have a mono unit in one location with the only ducting going to heat the tanks. One other plus of the 25 "C" is that we have both the couch and the dinette. The couch has a credenza that folds half the width of the couch for any added guest we have while camping.

We also looked at the 22' but we didn't care for the wet bath, nor did we like the main bed up front. Also we did not like that the dinette on the 22' was over the wheel wells. If you look closely at it, half the leg space under the dinette on the 22' is eaten by wheel wells. We like to have folks over when we came and that pretty much was the death of that idea.

A few suggestions:

If you go Bambi-

* Get at least one fantasic fan.

* Get the 13,500 BTU A/C unit, the standard 10k unit really works at it.

* Get the spare tire

If you go Safari 25'

* Insist on the 15k BTU A/C unit with the comfort contol system for an additional $250 from the standard 10k unit or 13.5k unit if you opt for the upgrade package.

* Get two fantastic fans...one comes with the Safari Upgrade Package and the second one only cost us about $250 at the time of construction compared to the $400 it would have cost after the fact.

Those are the biggest things on both coaches.

Since we plan on holding onto this Safari for many, many years, we decked it out with nearly everything except the solar option and the TV options.

You can see the new coach the day we went to get it as well as some factory tour pictures at www.silvertwinkie.org

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Eric
Old 01-20-2004, 07:42 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 22' Safari
1976 27' Overlander
Newport , Washington
Wow!

What a beauty!!! We haven't had the opportunity to see newer A/S. Thanks for the great pics. One month ago, I never thought I would say this, but I cant wait for the RV and Trailer show comming in Feb!!!
tin can luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 07:46 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Thanks for all that info!

Did the 4" wider bed come into your decision at all?
Old 01-20-2004, 07:52 AM   #31

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Just an interesting side note. I was at my dealer Saturday to pick up a few things and was talking to one of the sales folk. The Bambi's are one of their hottest selling units. They can't seem to be able to keep them in stock....but on the other hand they seem to also be one of the most traded new Airstreams.

The answer is always space. The folks buying these new just love them but when they bring them back a year or two later for trade, the reason is always space. Eric is a prime example. I also have some local friends who purchased a used Bambi (which was traded in for space), they kept it for a year and traded up to a 30' Classic (again the reason wass space). The Bambi was sold the same day they brought it in to the dealership. So this trailer has had 3 owners in three years.

My advice is think long and hard. Depreciation is a real killer when you buy new and trade early.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 08:24 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
stephen & Miriam,

We just traded our '01 Bambi on a '04 Safari for many of the reasons stated here. Primarily for more living space and storage. The Bambi is one great AS. You fall in love with it. It is all the things you folks mentioned, easy to pull, maneuver, etc. However, you really are limited to short trips. In your position, I view it as a couple downsizing after the children are gone to the smaller home or condo. Thats a difficult exercise. You are use to the room and all that goes in it. I think the same thing holds here. Really exam what and how you will be using the AS. Silvertwinkie makes a very good point. Bambi owners seem to trade up within a short period of time. Something to consider. Whatever your decision will be, with your choice of an Airstream you can't go wrong.

Bob
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 09:22 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Bob

I see you're towing your Safari with a similar vehicle. Are you using any type of WD hitch. This is another reason I am tending towards the Bambi. I really would like to find something that I can just hitch and go without connecting any WD bars. I'm pretty sure this would work fine with the Bambi, not so sure on the Safari 25.
Old 01-20-2004, 10:21 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Stephen & Miriam,

I did use the WD & a friction sway control on the Bambi. I am not sure if it was necessary. With the camper option on the Dodge, when I hooked up the Bambi the rear end maybe went down a 1/4 inch. I used the WD hitch more for rigidity than anything else. With our type of configuration, the WD isn't an issue. But I liked how it felt as far as making it more stable.

Bob
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:04 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to jim8860
I was talking to my friend today and he would like to do the same thing you did but he hates taking a huge hits on his stuff. He love his Bambi but he would like a bit more room as well. If I may ask what did the dealer give you on a trade in and how much did you spend on your new trialer.If you like you can e-mail me with the info @ jim8860@aol.com. I hop you enjoy your new camper. See ya on the road Jim
jim8860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 03:22 PM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The slightly wider bed was also a consideration. For us, we got what we paid for it, so we only lost out on the interest, but plan on writing it off against our income taxes as a second home.

BTW, when they delivered the coach, they delivered it with the same dually kind of truck without any weight bars!

Gotta go, more tonight as I'm out here near San Jose at Apple corporate wondering what the hell I am doing living in Chicago right now!

PS- Glad you all liked the pics!

Eric
Old 01-20-2004, 03:33 PM   #37

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
Gotta go, more tonight as I'm out here near San Jose at Apple corporate wondering what the hell I am doing living in Chicago right now!

Eric
Remember, wild fires, earthquakes, and mudslides, and Arnold......now if we could just get rid of tornados, ice, and snow.....

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:08 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

ERIC- Say it isnt so! Long time buddy , congrats on the new AS. I hope the SS can handle her.

PS- We're BACK!!!
Chitown AirStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 07:13 PM   #39
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The SS did tow it several thousand miles, but have since upgraded to a 3/4 ton Suburban....still have both SSs, they're now just civilian use.

BTW, all pics can be seen currently at www.silvertwinkie.org

...and who knows....Silvertwinkie 3 might just be right around the corner.

Whatcha all been up to?
Old 01-31-2005, 02:12 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

#3!??

Just been busy with Baby#3, time to get out on the road. We also upgraded to a Suburban, sold the SS , & bought a HARLEY!
Chitown AirStreamers is offline   Reply With Quote