RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 01-31-2008, 05:24 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
leak

I know this should in the leak portion but wondering if any 28 foot 2004 Safari owners have a small leak with dripping coming in behind the cabinets falling just behind the sink. I lucky as it is a perfect place for a drip, but going on the roof she is sealed tighter than a drum. Anyone else with this model have the same issue?
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
_

. , .
first the thread title is way too optimistic...

it should be leaks in the plural.

have you been towing in the rain with the stove exhaust vent unsecured?

that'll do it.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:50 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2020 23' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Our 28' 2004 International CCD (same floorplan as your Safari) used to have a leak at the stove exhaust vent while stationary. The dealer used something (I think it was Acryl-R) around the perimeter to seal it and that took care of it.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:32 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Grain Valley , Missouri
At the risk of being sacreligious to the Aluminum Idol, this is a link to the "Classic Chatter" newsletter of another Aluminum and Fiberglass home on wheels. On the fifth page it addresses how to find a leak. Very effective even though it is somewhat labor intensive. There are some other articles of interest, too.
http://www.gmcclassics.com/chatter/2007_12.pdf
Just don't shoot the messenger.
QuietWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Looking for time

1971 23' Safari
midland , Michigan
quietwater-thanx for the link!

I've always wondered how they did this leak procedure..

I've got a spare furnace blower and I think I will give it a whirl--doesn't look too hard-I'll bet that the large hose used is a flex heat duct [I have used them on my house]attached to a chunk of plywood thats attached to the blower and the other end fashioned to an open window [6 in. hole cut into cardboard and taped to an open window]

I wonder if I will need to seal off the stove vent or anything else?

all thats left to do is to get some soapy water and start finding the bubbles!

too bad its anly 3 degrees here in michigan--but when it warms up.....

I will have to research which sealent to use--thanx again QW----jim
jamesardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 07:56 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Be sure and check the skylights if you have not already.They tend to get brittle from the sun and can crack at the screws,if this happens they can leak .
lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:03 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
While browsing the repair fourms on leaks I found a thread that mentioned a company called Sealtech that did leak testing. I went to their web site and found a dealer listing, and located a an RV dealer near me that offered the service. I called and to my surprise they had a sale going on this service, 29.00 so I booked it. When they were done they gave me a list of leaks, and they are working up a price to fix them. I would highly recommend their service as it really saves time and in the long run money.

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
Our 28' 2004 International CCD (same floorplan as your Safari) used to have a leak at the stove exhaust vent while stationary. The dealer used something (I think it was Acryl-R) around the perimeter to seal it and that took care of it.
Wish that was it, would be an easy fix. From how close the stove vent is that seemed to be a logical source. Well sealed and in fact it does not leak when towing or tllted roadside looking forward?? O well it looks like I may need that leak service mentioned. Still from what I have read on this subject we are lucky. It seems A/S has a problem, I wonder if it is due to all the expansion and contraction of the shell? Sitting in Malibu today and as the sun heated up the thing creaked and moaned.
safari 28 is offline   Reply With Quote