Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-30-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
CruiserGa

2004 25' Safari
Gainesville , Georgia
Charging Question

If i hook up a battery tender (fancy trickle charger) do i need to disconnect the battery cables? Will it cause any harm upstream?
Bmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 04:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
It would cause no harm, but you need to be sure it can deliver enough current (amps) to compensate for the usual parasitic loads in an Airstream.

These loads are stuff like the Propane Detector, and the Sub-woofer speaker, as two examples that come immediately to mind.

I use DelTran battery tenders for a lot of standby charging applications. Haven't had an issue yet, unless I forget to connect it to the battery...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmccorm View Post
If i hook up a battery tender (fancy trickle charger) do i need to disconnect the battery cables? Will it cause any harm upstream?
No it will not...is good
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote