Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2017, 07:22 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Wow...good work all you smart contributors.
Outdoors4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 03:59 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
old thread but new thought...

I have an '06 Safari. I had never seen a Safari until I looked at it while shopping. The Safaris dont have that "looking glass" environment that the newer models have. That is attributable to fewer windows and type of window. Also, many issues I learned regarding leaking were related to the wrap arounds on the ends- front and on some model, rear too. I saw this in person while hunting in Tampa area. Also, apparently they did not seal some bumper areas where water collects so look for that.

I got so paranoid over this issue after buying and people posting about rotting floors that I tore my pristine floor coverings up just to look- nothing. I have a wide wicking line all around the perimeter that many do not seem to have that have posted their woes. Also I have seen several posts of leaks and floor rot from campers after 2010. I was in one at a rally where the floor around the dinette in the front was super soft and the owner just said be careful there as we congregated in their trailer one evening. Theirs was only three years old and in the front area- a 2011 model (it was 2014).

I am sure the OP already made a decision but for those reading this anew, it really comes down to the specific trailer and checking it out, not necessarily a good/bad model year. The older Safari models, most had lined (insulated ceilings and walls) as opposed to the naked metal. This was the same as the classics through 2012 or 2013 I believe. It has advantages. There are some changes mentioned that are better now- ducting, composite floor (2021+) but again it depends on how much you want to invest and what you want.
Old 02-06-2024, 04:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
go with the FC. the ducted air is a huge difference
WBCCI# 21212
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 07:20 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
2007 27' Safari FB SE
1995 25' Excella
Woodbine , Georgia
Buy the model you like. Floor repair, while concerning, is not a big deal and certainly not a repair for a RV dealer to make. Any DIYer or handyman with basic carpentry skills can easily do the repair. When I purchased my 2000 Safari RBT, the floor about 1' from the wall under the twins and nightstand had been wet at one time. I had planned to replace the carpet with vinyl planking so replacing the subfloor did not add much to the project.The guy I hired dismantled the beds and nightstand, replaced the subfloor (including the C channel), sealed the replacement subfloor, installed vinyl planking throughout the trailer, and reinstalled the bedroom. The repair took the majority of 2 days-the cost was $1000 plus the cost of materials (approx $1500 total cost). The labor included removing the toilet, front gaucho, curbside cabinet to completely lay the planking from one end of the trailer to the other.
gamakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2024, 08:39 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
old thread but new thought...

I have an '06 Safari. I had never seen a Safari until I looked at it while shopping. The Safaris dont have that "looking glass" environment that the newer models have. That is attributable to fewer windows and type of window. Also, many issues I learned regarding leaking were related to the wrap arounds on the ends- front and on some model, rear too….
Roadster, I also have a 2006 Safari 25FB. Mine has that “looking glass” feeling and that is what it took for my wife to agree to the Airstream. She loves the light and doesn’t like the trapped closed in feeling otherwise. Mine has wrap around windows both front and back. As far as leaking goes, it is something I was made aware of and simply added it to my list of maintenance things. I did replace my flooring a few years back mainly for aesthetics and there was no big signs of any water damage.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote

« Structure question | Top | - »