Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
22' Safari heater

The 22' Safari must be a popular model. I have been unable to actually inspect one in person. It appears that the heater for the trailer is in one of the settees of the dinette. For those of you that have this model, doesn't this placement make having the heater on at night unacceptable if people are sleeping in the converted dinette area? From the posts that I have read, the heaters (ie. blowers) are not all that quiet. Any comments or observations are greatly appreciated.
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Not so

I had a 2003 22' International AS, which was the short-lived forerunner to the 22' Safari. Same layout.

The furnace is under the kitchen counter, to the right (rear) of the refrigerator as you face it. The water heater and the converter are under the front dinette seat and storage space is under the rear dinette seat.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 07:38 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Berkeley , California
Thanks for the input. I was looking at images for a '04 22' Safari from Colonial and saw the black grille on the forward settee of the dinnete and assumed it was the heater. After reviewing other images I spotted a beige colored grille adjacent to the stove in the galley...I guess that is the heater unit. Related question...does the placement of the water heater/inverter at the settee cause any problems (audible) for people using the converted dinnette to sleep in? I wish to avoid a mutiny with the children, and this would be quite helpful information.
BeBop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:15 PM   #4
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Noise

I never really was disturbed by the noise from the water heater through the cushions. I would hear it light, but the sound was muffled enough that I would forget it was burning. It sure shouldn't keep anyone awake. The refrigerator fan (before I modified it) was louder than the water heater.

The fan on the converter was actually louder, but almost never came on unless most of the lights were on in the trailer. It was always quiet at night.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2004, 10:20 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
I'm sure that the furnace and water heater in our 25 Safari is similar to the 22...

Our water heater is noisy, located under the rear bed, but can easily be switched off at night. When you turn it on in the morning it will re-heat the water in the tank in about 10 minutes.

Our furnace is also noisy, located under the kitchen and therefore near to the front sofa/bed... but tolerable, especially when it's cold outside and you are appreciating the heat!
Old 07-23-2004, 10:34 PM   #6
lee
2 Rivet Member

We have a 22' safari and yes there is noise from the heater at nite but not that much. We spent 6 months in the trailer in the last year. If you are staying where there is electricity use one of those small ceramic heaters they are perfect when you have hookups. The water heater does make noise but we only turned it on when we needed it and did not leave it on all the time , no need to waste propane.
We love the 22' safari it is perfect for us.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:01 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
I'm sure that the furnace and water heater in our 25 Safari is similar to the 22...
Actually, the 25's furnace is similar to the Classic line (if we're talking a newer Safari 25). It has more BTUs and can accept the comfort control system. The 22' units are closer to what is in the 19' Safari/Bambi and I don't think the smaller furnaces in those units can get comfort controls. Water heaters should be near the same if not totally the same.

I hear ya on the noise level of the furnace. I fully agree, if it's a bit of noise or freezing your behind off, I've found personally how you can get use to things. Our 25' has the heat pump that is controlled by the comfort control system. The Penguin isn't much better when it comes to noise level. Putting into perspective though...it sure beats tenting by a long shot!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote