RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-12-2003, 08:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question 2004 Safari 25B

My wife and me just orderd an 04 Safari 25B. The dealer said it would be ready around 1/16/04. We got the upgrade package and the stratus interior. I see most people on the forum have the SS. Is this because they have more then two people staying in the AS? We orderd the 25B because it had a bigger bed and it will only be the two of us. What are the main things we should look at when we do the walk trough? Also What do you think about the 7 year GE travel trailer warranty?
mopar7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:21 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

My main objection to the 25B is that it doesn't have a side-mounted dinette, but I DO like the large window in the rear and the 60" x 75" bed.
idahosafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2003, 09:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

I doubt that "most people on the forum have the SS". It is a new model, and I suspect that it has received a lot of attention on these forums because of that . But you know, I think I did hear somewhere that it has become the most popular of the 25' models.

There are two schools of thought about dinettes in Airstreams: 1) those that would not consider being without one and 2) those of us right-thinking individuals who prize the utility and space effeciancy of the folding table.

Seriously, it seems to come down to how you utilize your coach. Those who socialize with friends, play cards, or need more "counter space" for cooking really find the dinette essential. For my wife and I, a dinette would be an absolute dead loss of space. The credeza is just great for a tv, dvd player, and other odds and ends, and the layout is just right for relaxing and watching a movie, or not.

What I don't understand is the continuing insistence on the part of Airstream, in the face of the success of the CCD line, in foisting off a full size stove/oven on the 25' models when many, many buyers would much rather have a two burner cooktop, a single bowl sink, and real usable counter space. See my photos to see how we did exactly that in our 25' Sovereign. Oh sure, it is just what a lot of buyers would want, but why not offer a choice?

Mark

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I'm not sure where you got that info Mark, the Safari SS has been out now since at least 1999 and I can also say that the exact floorplan has been around since at least 2002, maybe even longer, but I can't say that for sure......

Second, I agree it's how you use your coach that dictates dinette or not. Me I'm a dinetter....the thing I like about the SS is that you get the couch and the dinette.

Third, I believe the reason they don't offer tons of options is simple. Airstream is not as big as the big 3 with tons of options and lots of automation. It's an all hand built process from almost every aspect. That said, they need to be able to build the trailers in order to sell the trailers. Each variation takes more time to build the trailer. Although I'm not generally a CCD fan, I know there are some that do and it's pretty popular. To each their own.

Mopar, when you get your coach, please be sure to post the month an year of manufacture with the observations of overall quailty here:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...6713#post56713

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:14 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

There is a used Safari 28B for sale in my town. It is a 2000 model, and is in good condition. The price is quite a bit lower than the 2004s, as you would expect. Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you more details.

- Charles
Old 10-13-2003, 11:45 AM   #6
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by j54mark
For my wife and I, a dinette would be an absolute dead loss of space. The credeza is just great for a tv, dvd player, and other odds and ends, and the layout is just right for relaxing and watching a movie, or not.
It appears that this floor plan shows a dinette, couch, and a credenza. The best of all worlds!

2004 Safari 25B
nds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 11:52 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Silvertwinkie, the current floorplan for the 25SS was the first one I saw or heard anything about, and 2002 sounds about right. What was the earlier floorplan like?

While the 25SS does have a kind of truncated credenza, it is only a fraction of the counter space of the other models, and no cabinet storage at all.

But if you need the features of the 25SS you have to admire the ingenuity shown in cramming it all in.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 12:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Re: Safari 25B

I have to agree with the notion of a dinette being largely wasted space. If you want/need a dinette fine, just don't force me to buy a trailer with one. Both my 99 Bambi and my 2002 Lance camper both had dinettes and I didn't like them!

My wife and I have agreed on a 25B Safari as the ideal length/floorplan for our intended use. We have a 2 year old son and usually travel with 2 small dogs.

She really wants a 28' CCD but I'm worried about how well the art-deco interior will "age". People may "OHH & AHH" at them (the CCDs) now but may be asking themselves "What was Airstream thinking?" in ten years.

JMHO!
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:32 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Steve,

Have you considered the Safari 28 W? It seems to have exactly the same floor plan as the CCD 28.

- Charles
Old 10-13-2003, 01:37 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Mark,

The '02 brochure I have shows it nearly identical to the '04 I have on order (even the black tank that year on the Safari and Bambi with the same bathroom config show 18 gals). The only thing that appears to be missing in the '02 brochure is that the front couch does not seem to have the credenza that year (it could have one and just wasn't listed).

I don't have the floorplan handy on the 1999, 2000 or 2001 units. I did see they mention a SS Safari in 1999, but there are no specs.

Regards,

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 10-13-2003, 01:38 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally posted by idahosafari
Steve,

Have you considered the Safari 28 W? It seems to have exactly the same floor plan as the CCD 28.

- Charles
Yes, no, and maybe!

I'd have to see one in person.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:39 PM   #12
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Re: Re: Safari 25B

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Heywood
I'm worried about how well the art-deco interior will "age". People may "OHH & AHH" at them (the CCDs) now but may be asking themselves "What was Airstream thinking?" in ten years.

JMHO!
You mean kind of like the avacado greens that were used in the 60s and 70s?

Eric
Old 10-13-2003, 01:57 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Re: Re: Safari 25B

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Heywood
She really wants a 28' CCD but I'm worried about how well the art-deco interior will "age". People may "OHH & AHH" at them (the CCDs) now but may be asking themselves "What was Airstream thinking?" in ten years.

JMHO!
LOL, The pictures I've seen of the CCD's aluminum interior reminds me a bit of the walk-in freezer at a restaurant I used to work at...

- Charles
Old 10-13-2003, 07:34 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nds

It appears that this floor plan shows a dinette, couch, and a credenza. The best of all worlds!

2004 Safari 25B
NDS the pic you have posted is the 25SS. The 25B has the the 74" sofa and the 60"X75" queen bed. No dinette.
mopar7 is offline   Reply With Quote