Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Trailer Forums > Safari > 2000 - 2004 Safari
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
DJW
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
Lafayette , California
'04 Safari- what does the external cable connection energize?

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked before, but couldn't find in a search.

I'm trying, for the first time, to connect a RV park cable to my AS. I've connected it to the external box (next to the phone input at rear of trailer), but can't get a signal inside. There is are 2 unlabled internal jacks coupled with a cig lighter (bedroom and front under TV cabinet), and a 2 jack unit saying "Satelite in and Satelite out". Where oh where do I connect? And, if I'm ever someplace where there is broadcast TV, which of these is connected to my roof top antenna?

Thank you from beautiful Ft. Bragg, CA!

Don
DJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:23 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
I believe you need a jumper for those 2 Sat in/out connections.

The "Satellite in" is the live feed from where you connected the cable line. The "Satellite out" are the connections to the 2 TV locations. Take a short piece of coax and connect the Sat in/out and you will get cable to the TV locations.

It is laid out like this so you can connect a dish via the outdoor coax connection and place the satellite box where the Sat in/out connections are, thus sending a signal to both TV's
timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:55 PM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The "cigarette lighter" is a 12 v. socket. It may be for a 12 v. TV. The unlabeled jacks should be coaxial cable connections—one for the roof antenna and the other for the cable connection outside. You can get 3 short pieces of coaxial cable and a splitter to combine for the TV coaxial input; otherwise you have to keep switching which cable inputs to the TV. The TV should allow you to select "air" or "cable" by a menu and you then can program it for wherever you are.

One some models there will also be connections for sound from the TV to go through the receiver (radio, DVD, CD) and use the sound system.

You also need the jumper. It sounds like you bought this trailer recently and I suspect the previous owner had a satellite system and didn't replace the jumper. So you need a 4th short piece of coax.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
If it's all original equipment, the coax jack by the 12v receptacle (cigarette lighter-looking) is for the antenna on top of your rig... When you are using the air waves and your roof-top antenna, that is where your TV is connected. There should be a little button near that jack...that is the "booster" and it needs to be pushed in (lit) to get a good signal. Note that if your TV is not digital-ready you will need a converter box to receive the digital signal. (If it's a 2004 and it's the original TV, it most likely is NOT digital-ready...we needed one for our 2006 with a Sony.)

When you switch to cable (or satellite), disconnect the cable going to your TV from the antenna input jack and move it to the coax connection labeled Satellite In. That gives your TV access to the incoming cable (or satellite) connection. Depending on what kind of TV you have, you may have to reset your TV to recognize a cable signal in the TV's set-up menu. You don't have to worry about the digital box stuff if you are on a cable signal.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
In ours the cable connection works badly when the antenna booster is on. It draws power from the batteries when it is on and will increase battery drain. So get in the habit of turning it off—it saves batteries and when you use the cable connection you may wonder why the signal is so bad.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We also turn off the booster when it's not being used...especially at night ... it puts out a lot of light in our bed area for no bigger than it is..
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote