Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2020, 02:15 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Wildwood , Florida
Send a message via Skype™ to wxbuoy
WXbuoy; We’re back and now in a 2016 Interstate Grand Tour EXT

Well, it was 4 years ago this month that we sold the MoHo. We didn’t think health issues would let us get back into streaming. Here is where I left off last time:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f31...ml#post1811959

We felt things are stabilizing enough to try and do some traveling and maybe camping. In the end fate decide for us to go the airstream route again. 3rd times the charm right!?? So, after owning a 2003 25ft classic (our first), a 1991 350 LE classic motorhome (our second and we thought our last) we just brought home a new to us 2016 Interstate Grande Tour EXT. Quite different than the last airstream! Here is the thread that covers the almost complete overhaul/remodel of the 1991 350 Classic MoHo (The Beast). The only thing left was put in seating in the lounge:

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f31...-le-99706.html

Those who are familiar with that thread know that the last thing we needed is another project!!!! I can’t do the work, and we definitely can’t afford to pay someone to put the work into something like we did with approximately 3,000. Granted they were definitely not all productive hours! So, the entering argument was new or almost new and in excellent condition. We didn’t want another trailer. They are great, but we (me) weren’t up for the hitching, unhitching, and towing. Not to mention we would have to get another truck. We also didn’t want to go with a class A or class C. We wanted to be light and nimble and something easy to drive. The wife didn’t really feel comfortable driving The Beast and since she was going to do allot of the driving, smaller was better. We looked at a lot of brands & models. They all just seamed cheap or lacking. Granted we did not check out the custom ARV’s since $250K+ and a year plus wait is not only out of our ball park, it is not even in the same state! It came down to interior and the seating. Airstream has the best comfort in seating. The others were sinkers, or you felt the metal frame through the thin foam on the seat. Really, $100K+ and you can’t spend a few extra $$ and get good foam??

We weren’t looking at Airstreams since new or slightly used was out of our $ range. We happened to stumble upon an older gentleman about an hour east of us who had to sell his 2016 Interstate since he was losing his eyesight. He just wanted the pay off on the note. Which was way below market and any other one we could find online no matter the distance. It was in immaculate condition, had all the service records and very low mileage. The only real issue is the 2 factory installed AGM’s are shot. Which isn’t a big deal since we had planned on a massive upgrade to the factory installed solar system. We brought it home yesterday. Here are 2 pics of it. I know, they all look the same….

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0729.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	369940

Name:	IMG_8536.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	369941

I also included pics of our 2 prior models. Quite the progression in 12 years! I will be following this up with some upgrades we need to do. Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Name:	25_Ft Classic.jpeg
Views:	40
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	369938

Name:	1991_C;assic_MoHo.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	369939
Old 06-10-2020, 03:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Congratulations and welcome back!
When is your first scheduled trip? Even 25 miles can be.a world away! HiHo Silver!
Old 06-10-2020, 03:23 PM   #3
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
You will like the GT. I moved up from a 2014.5 Lounge to a 2018 GT.

One thing I did that we really like was to get rid of the heavy Corean table and pedestal. We then unhinged the desk and mount it on a Lagun mount. It is easy to get around it, unlike the original table. There is a thread in here somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Near desk position.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	369946  
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 04:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
First Trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Congratulations and welcome back!
When is your first scheduled trip? Even 25 miles can be.a world away! HiHo Silver!
Thanks! This weekend. We are really excited. Been cooped up in the house for 3.5 months now and can't wait to get out!
Old 06-10-2020, 04:52 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahaska View Post
You will like the GT. I moved up from a 2014.5 Lounge to a 2018 GT.

One thing I did that we really like was to get rid of the heavy Corean table and pedestal. We then unhinged the desk and mount it on a Lagun mount. It is easy to get around it, unlike the original table. There is a thread in here somewhere.
Great idea! I like that a lot. I also like how you have the remote holder and manual bin set up. Great ideas. I have been going through a lot of the threads to see what we can gleam on best practices!
Old 06-10-2020, 06:23 PM   #6
Contributing Member

Latest version of remote holder and bins for ideas. Sure are handy. There is one bin under the desk, as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Remote holder close.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	369970   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left desk trim.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	272.4 KB
ID:	369971  

WBCCI #9632
Old 06-10-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Latest version of remote holder and bins for ideas. Sure are handy. There is one bin under the desk, as well.
Very nice, thanks! What did you do for "mattress" augmentation in the back?
Old 06-10-2020, 07:08 PM   #8
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post
Very nice, thanks! What did you do for "mattress" augmentation in the back?
I converted it to twin beds with custom mattresses, just like I did my 2014.5 Lounge. This time I was a lot smarter and it took me just a week to convert vs a couple of weeks for the first conversion.

Better than Airstreams twins. They have just about no storage in the rear and I have a lot with the heads of my twins cantilevered.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-10-2020, 07:14 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
I converted it to twin beds with custom mattresses, just like I did my 2014.5 Lounge. This time I was a lot smarter and it took me just a week to convert vs a couple of weeks for the first conversion.

Better than Airstreams twins. They have just about no storage in the rear and I have a lot with the heads of my twins cantilevered.
Thanks again!, You are definitely a wealth of knowledge!
Old 06-10-2020, 07:43 PM   #10
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Welcome back wxbuoy!

I recall reading some of your previous journeys about the Airstream(s) and life in general. I think you'll really enjoy the ease of travel in the Interstate. We bought a used 2010 a few years ago and it's great to just pick up and go. We enjoy our trailer too the if we had to pick just one... the Interstate may just win!

There are lots of great updates/improvements to make on the Interstate if you have time. As Pahaska mentioned, the twin bed update he performed looks great. Ours came with twin beds. Your needs may be different and I'm sure you'll find what works for you.

Best wishes on your upcoming travels. See Ya Down the Road!
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
That's why we went with the B

nvestysly,

Thanks. The ease of travel is the main reason we wanted to stay with the B size and not the B+. We didn't want to stress out about where to park or can we get into a gas station, etc. We wanted something we could travel in comfortably since our goal is to explore not just go from campsite to camp site.

I have already started a spread sheet with some needed work and our desired improvements. The number one item is a good solar set up with plenty of storage capacity. Then who knows.... We will need to get some miles and nights under our hats to better focus on how we want things set up.

Until we can get the solar installed (Nov) I might just put some AGMs in the OEM racks to get us by since the old ones are toast. I can always use the new AGM's with my radio gear when I switch them out when I am done with them in the RV.

I am also going to have more user friendly radio with Apple Play put in. Looking at the Alpine Halo 9 ILX-F309. The stock Kennwood is just to complicated when you are driving down the highway. I am sure it is responsible for more than one accident.
Old 06-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #12
Contributing Member

I use a 7" trucker's GPS on top of the dash. I have the Fusion, but as a very old military fighter pilot, I want my eyes on the road, not way down where the Fusion lives. With photo-gray glasses, it is really dark down there when it is sunny.

My Genesis sedan has a heads-up display that displays speed and navigation. That is the best. I have not found an add-on heads-up display that equals the Genesis. The only small drawback is that polarized glasses obliterate the display.

The dash-top GPS is also my speedometer. Again, it is up there where I want to be looking. The Sprinter instruments are down in the dark. My speed is displayed in big numbers and is very accurate.

It is nice to be able to just bring the GPS home to my computer for updates about once a month.
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-11-2020, 06:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
We are going to be doing the truckers GPS as well

John,

Excellent points! We are also going to be putting a truckers GPS on the console like you have. Primarily since the Halo doesn't have built in GPS and cell service can be sketchy in places you really need directions. The unique thing about the Halo though is that it has a screen that sits off from the dash and you can tilt it as well as raise and lower the screen position.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:57 AM   #14
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxbuoy View Post

We felt things are stabilizing enough to try and do some traveling and maybe camping. In the end fate decide for us to go the airstream route again. 3rd times the charm right!??..

Welcome back Dave and Felicia. Your posts and presence has been missed. Whilst you were not looking I picked up a 92 350LE, I have been working on for 6 month! Enjoy your new Airstream!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Passengerside.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	664.2 KB
ID:	370076  
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 06:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
She's a Beauty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Welcome back Dave and Felicia. Your posts and presence has been missed. Whilst you were not looking I picked up a 92 350LE, I have been working on for 6 month! Enjoy your new Airstream!
Thanks, It is actually good to be back. I think getting back is the mental stimulation I needed! That is a really sweet looking coach! I am gonna go see if you posted a thread about it. Let me say a belated Congrats on your purchase and sympathies for your wallet! I think they are on the same level as the 50's trailers in iconic style and appearance.
Old 06-12-2020, 07:45 AM   #16
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterH-Airstreamer View Post
Whilst you were not looking I picked up a 92 350LE, I have been working on for 6 month!
Great to hear you are back in the saddle. Are some of the bits and pieces you got from me going in it?
WBCCI #9632
Old 06-12-2020, 08:21 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Good to see you are back on the road!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:32 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoAgRV View Post
Good to see you are back on the road!
Great to hear from you! We need to meet up some time so we can see your great 63' again!
Old 06-13-2020, 06:13 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Traverse City , Michigan
Welcome back. I will be interested to see what you decide to do.
I snuck into NJ last month and picked up a 2016 AI GT. I have spent the last month reading up on what to consider. Mine also has the original batteries and I need to get about 3-4 days unplugged while parked at the race track. And that Kenwood, drove me crazy all the way from NJ to Michigan.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:10 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Wildwood , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler56 View Post
Welcome back. I will be interested to see what you decide to do.
I snuck into NJ last month and picked up a 2016 AI GT. I have spent the last month reading up on what to consider. Mine also has the original batteries and I need to get about 3-4 days unplugged while parked at the race track. And that Kenwood, drove me crazy all the way from NJ to Michigan.

Thanks! Congrats on you AI! No way is the installed battery system gonna get you 3-4 days. Everything I have seen from others is 1 night at best when they are new! You could augment with a small gene and charge in the am and again before you go bed.

You are probably gonna have to bite the bullet and go lithium... Since you can take them to 0 remaining you would only need 1/2 the capacity of AGMs at 1/4 the weight. But that is a pricey upgrade since you will probably due solar panels and replace a lot if the components.

Will keep you posted on projects here.