Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #141
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Pro, hope they got it this time!

Bikerbill, you wouldn't happen to be on GRRN shooting forum, would you?

Sorry for the hijack, back to the non-start dilemma...

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-09-2014, 02:28 PM   #142
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Did I miss it? What did they fix the second time? Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #143
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
You didn't miss it. We're waiting to hear what the fix was, and if it actually is fixed...

-Red

Old 09-09-2014, 03:10 PM   #144
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
They replaced the starter. There was a very tense moment when a "porter" (ain't Mercedes Benz fancy?) went to pull it around to the front and couldn't start it! Turns out the porter didn't know that the battery disconnect was disconnected down by the accelerator pedal, which the service tech did as part of his lock-out/tag-out procedures before working on the electrical system, except he left it that way and didn't tell anyone. Plug it back in, and presto, started right up. I made a point of starting in four or five times while hooking up my toad, just to make sure.

Anyway it's back at home, and parked so that it occupies two parking spaces so I'll have room to back out at an angle next time, so I don't have to go knocking on neighbors' doors to get them to move so I can back out next time. And wonder of wonders, the landlady even approved me taking up two spaces with it!
Old 09-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #145
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I don't beieve it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Oh, and the reason why the fuse blew on mine, one of the wires was chafing on a piece of metal (he didn't say which or where) and rubbed off the insulation. Wire replaced and properly sheathed in a plastic tube to prevent future chafing, problem solved.

Hi, I personally don't believe a word of it. I have worked with incompetent mechanics that for the sake of getting paid, would make up stories of what they fixed and how. First clue; He wouldn't say which or where???????? "Problem solved"; B.S. If it was, Protagonist would have been at home enjoying his Airstream. Now that the mechanic [who possibly lied] and didn't get away with it, he really has to find the cause of the problem and fix it.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:11 PM   #146
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Yeeee hawwwww!
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 03:22 PM   #147

2012 Interstate Coach
In case anyone is wondering (and even if you're not wondering), I got them to deduct the price of the first "repair" from the price of the second repair for my trouble. And conveniently failed to mention that the military ID hanging around my neck is for civil service (Corps of Engineers) so I got the 10% military discount as well. I am so glad I headed over there straight from work!
Old 09-09-2014, 03:43 PM   #148
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
Glad for you! I just love a happy ending!

-Red
Old 09-09-2014, 03:53 PM   #149
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Glad it's resolved, and hope that's the end of it.

Maggie
Old 09-09-2014, 04:45 PM   #150
Rivet Master

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sedona , Arizona
Quote:
In case anyone is wondering (and even if you're not wondering), I got them to deduct the price of the first "repair" from the price of the second repair for my trouble. And conveniently failed to mention that the military ID hanging around my neck is for civil service (Corps of Engineers) so I got the 10% military discount as well. I am so glad I headed over there straight from work!
Isn't it covered by a 3-year warranty?
UKDUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 PM   #151
Rivet Master

2011 Interstate Coach
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I personally don't believe a word of it. I have worked with incompetent mechanics that for the sake of getting paid, would make up stories of what they fixed and how. First clue; He wouldn't say which or where???????? "Problem solved"; B.S. If it was, Protagonist would have been at home enjoying his Airstream. Now that the mechanic [who possibly lied] and didn't get away with it, he really has to find the cause of the problem and fix it.
I guess the chaffed wire that shorted took out the starter.

Who knew?

2011 Interstate SOLD! Upfitted 2017 Transit 350. SOLD!
73shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 07:53 PM   #152
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Congrats on the fix. I learned a lot from your troubles.
Rapa Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #153
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 06:57 AM   #154
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Congrats. See you at Canopener.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 07:25 AM   #155
Rivet Master

2005 39' Skydeck 390 SD
Hillsboro , Texas
Glad you have it back and working until the next time .
As engineer you know it will break it is only a question if time.
Cheers
Peter

PSchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:26 AM   #156
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Cincinnati , Ohio
Quote:
Got a call yesterday afternoon saying it was ready, but too late for me to make the drive and get there before they closed. I've made arrangements with my boss to take off this afternoon to go and fetch it, so that I don't have to deal with Baton Rouge rush-hour traffic while towing my car back home— it's great to have a toad so I can drive myself to the dealer and tow the car home from there instead of having to hustle up a ride to a dealer 66 miles away!

As to whether it's really fixed, time will tell. I thought it was really fixed last time, too, so I'm prepared to be cynical until I have clear proof.

If it's fixed, next bit of work will be my own, removing all of the accordion-fold blinds (since I broke one anyway) and replacing them with thermal-barrier curtains on spring-loaded rods. For the rear, one long rod all the way across inside the rear screen door, and for the side windows (except the sliding door window) one rod per window. They're not really curtains, they're valence panels, but just the right size to fit my van's windows.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
But that's a topic for another thread…

Pro,
Congrats on getting the starter repaired. You had quite an adventure with the whole process.

I have the above mentioned curtains (valence panels). I have also had Hunter Douglas duettes that are kinda similar to what MB / AI have factory installed.

I really liked the Hunter Douglas Product.
So for your consideration, here's some (I know, way-to-much) information for you.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1410369739.954381.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	379.6 KB
ID:	221419

COOL IN THE SUMMER, WARM IN THE WINTER

Did you know that up to 50% of a home’s heating and cooling energy can be lost through its windows? That’s why we designed this unique cellular shade that traps air in distinct pockets to help keep your house cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

And while the honeycomb design is praised for its efficiency, its shape and overall aesthetic are nothing short of beautiful.
----------

From the Hunter Douglas website FAQ
Does Hunter Douglas offer “Blackout” shades?
Hunter Douglas has a variety of fabrics and materials that are rated 5 on our Privacy & Light Control Scale.

Rating 5 represents a fabric or material that blocks virtually all light and provides the highest degrees of privacy and light control.

To ensure your room is as dark as possible, you must consider the following when purchasing window treatments:
• Choose a product with fabric or material that is rated 5.
• The design and functionality of each product may affect the overall level of darkness in a room.
• Your product must be installed as an outside mount.
• Include in your measurements the recommended overlap for all sides of the window opening.

An authorized Hunter Douglas dealer will be able to help you decide exactly what will work best for you.
-------
ANTIMICROBIAL PROTECTION
Venue™ fabrics feature Microshield which resists the growth of mold, mildew and bacteria that can cause odors. The first cellular fabric in the market to offer this protection.

REDUCE OUTSIDE NOISE
Improve your room’s acoustics while reducing the intensity of outside sound. It starts at the windows.
The degree of sound control will depend on the fabric you choose, so if this is an important feature to you, be sure to discuss it with your sales expert.

FOR LARGE WINDOWS AND SLIDING DOORS
Vertiglide™ offers an exceptional, energy-efficient vertical solution for large expanses of windows and sliding glass doors.

PRIVACY WITH A VIEW
The Top-Down/Bottom-Up feature offers a more versatile approach to light control. Open from the top, from the bottom, or find somewhere in-between–for the perfect balance of privacy and light.

CONTROL FROM YOUR PHONE OR TABLET
Controlling your window treatments with a mobile device means you can set your blinds to movie mode, work mode, or 8 a.m. mode with the touch of a button, without leaving your seat. It’s effortless, fun and smart—with perfectly smooth operation.

And if your zip code is 70002
Here is a list of the 15 dealers for these window treatments

Decorator Depot USA LLC
10915 Perkins Rd Ste A
Baton Rouge, LA 70810-1300
(225) 291-7068
www.decoratordepot.info
HOURS
DIRECTIONSBOOKMARK THIS DEALER 60.90 mile

Ethan Allen
3750 Veterans Memorial Blvd Ste B
Metairie, LA 70002-5826
(504) 885-1471
HOURS
DIRECTIONSBOOKMARK THIS DEALER 0.53 mile

Interior Motives Design & Decor
4728 Trenton St
Metairie, LA 70006-6518
(504) 889-9677
HOURS
DIRECTIONSBOOKMARK THIS DEALER 1.65 mile

The Blind Place-Gulfport
344 Courthouse Rd Ste B
Gulfport, MS 39507-1862
(228) 896-7834
HOURS
DIRECTIONSBOOKMARK THIS DEALER 71.59 mile

Gotcha Covered Blinds
IN-HOME CONSULTATION ONLY
Mandeville, LA 70471-8524
(985) 624-8882
HOURSBOOKMARK THIS DEALER 27.99 mile
Mockinbrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 12:51 PM   #157

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mockinbrd View Post
I really liked the Hunter Douglas Product.
So for your consideration, here's some (I know, way-to-much) information for you.
Interesting. But I had already purchased the curtains (valences). I was just waiting to get the vehicle back to install them. If I'm not happy with the performance of the curtains, I'll take a closer look at the Hunter Douglas products.