Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2022, 07:24 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Graham , Washington
Wiring to replace BIM with Victron Orion Dc/Dc

2016 GT Ext
I am replacing the Precision Circuits BIM with the Victron Orion but before I do it I want to understand what I am disconnecting when I cap off some wires based on my inquiries. Adding (2) Lion Energy Safari UT1300 105amp batteries.

Victron schematic shows
DC input goes to chassis battery
Dc output goes to a 40 amp breaker and then to new lithium batteries
Ground goes to chassis ground

I need input on what am I affecting regarding the remaining wires on Precision Circuits BIM
1) dash switch cap off- cannot be used with lithium
2) gen set wire - was told to cap off
3) ignition wire - was told to cap off
4) I noticed an orange wire connected to the chassis battery terminal. Schematic calls it “battery monitor? Do I just add a terminal post and keep that connected?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2F95BDAA-D4B8-4568-8131-85C626E374F0.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	419.1 KB
ID:	413803   Click image for larger version

Name:	2BA66D7F-4E23-4255-A532-62BEC8F14904.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	350.0 KB
ID:	413804  

randkell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 04:53 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Bennington , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by randkell1 View Post
2016 GT Ext
I am replacing the Precision Circuits BIM with the Victron Orion but before I do it I want to understand what I am disconnecting when I cap off some wires based on my inquiries. Adding (2) Lion Energy Safari UT1300 105amp batteries.

Victron schematic shows
DC input goes to chassis battery
Dc output goes to a 40 amp breaker and then to new lithium batteries
Ground goes to chassis ground

I need input on what am I affecting regarding the remaining wires on Precision Circuits BIM
1) dash switch cap off- cannot be used with lithium
2) gen set wire - was told to cap off
3) ignition wire - was told to cap off
4) I noticed an orange wire connected to the chassis battery terminal. Schematic calls it “battery monitor? Do I just add a terminal post and keep that connected?
Why not replace it with Precision Circuits LI-BIM? This works perfect with LFP batteries, easy to install and functions same way as before, only wire to cap off is the gent set wire.
Sailfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:07 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Graham , Washington
I have read that the precision circuits bim will only charge to 80 percent and then rely on solar to charge the remaining 20 percent. I live in Western Washington so I cannot rely on the solar to top it off.
Old 04-04-2022, 05:45 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Bennington , New Hampshire
Quote:
I have read that the precision circuits bim will only charge to 80 percent and then rely on solar to charge the remaining 20 percent. I live in Western Washington so I cannot rely on the solar to top it off.

You may have misunderstood what the PC LI-BIM 225 description states about the 80%, read it again carefully at the Precision Circuits website. I don't know what LFP batteries you have, if they are BB's give them a call and ask about this product.

I am not representing PC in any way, I am just a consumer looking for simple solutions to a desired outcome. It is a product of the USA and works as advertised for our 400AH AI RV system
Sailfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:27 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Traverse City , Michigan
The two wires that would be deadheaded are the dash switch and ignition. The orange wire needs power or you won’t see any voltage on the tank/volt monitor. You should also provide power to the gen set meter or you will not be able to track hours used on the generator.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:55 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Quote:
The Li-Bim will charge to 100 percent. It limits the current flow from 15 minutes on and 15 minutes off to let the alternator cool off.
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2022, 12:12 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Graham , Washington
Thanks! Regarding the gen set wire, Can I connect it directly to a positive buss bar? if so, do I need a fuse?
Old 04-08-2022, 10:52 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 19' International
Cedar Rapids , Iowa
Here’s the wiring from an old BIM to a new Li-Bim.
I called Precision Circuits to verify.

BIM. - Li-BIM

Ignition. Ignition

Ground. Ground

Dash Switch. Signal

Gen Set. Eliminate (do not wire it in)

The Gen Set wiring, according to Irene Fitness’ install, states the old BIM would shut off charging to the battery when the vehicle was running and the generator was running. The new LI-BIM does not need the wiring.

I personally don’t know how it should be wired on a DC-DC charger, although I also think our generator is counting hours used without it.

There’s some electronics in the BIM that tell the circuit to be open or closed, I would think, so wiring it directly to the bus bar may not be correct in my estimation, but I’m not an electronics/wiring expert.

Here’s a bit of information that tells how the Li-BIM works, although I personally did not use it to refer to for wiring.

https://www.explorist.life/how-to-wi...tery-isolator/
Hawk-ination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2022, 10:21 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Thanks! Regarding the gen set wire, Can I connect it directly to a positive buss bar? if so, do I need a fuse?
I will try to go look this weekend. I know I bought a couple blade fuse wires to install and I don’t see where in my notes. I had to lengthen the wire to get it from the jump seat to the buss bar by the water heater. If I did not it has worked fine for two years 😁
Old 04-11-2022, 12:32 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Graham , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler56 View Post
The two wires that would be deadheaded are the dash switch and ignition. The orange wire needs power or you won’t see any voltage on the tank/volt monitor. You should also provide power to the gen set meter or you will not be able to track hours used on the generator.
I have everything installed and wired but before I provide power to it to load the settings was there any wiring needed for the "remote on/off" jumper?
Old 04-12-2022, 09:49 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
I have everything installed and wired but before I provide power to it to load the settings was there any wiring needed for the "remote on/off" jumper?
By remote on/off jumper do you mean the “dash” switch” on the BIM? That wire under my install is deadheaded so the dash battery combiner no longer functions. I carry a small lithium jump starter should I need it. After numerous one week boondocks my chassis side has never had an issue.
Old 04-12-2022, 12:22 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Graham , Washington
No, to the left of the (3) wire terminals there is a green jumper cable that came with the Victron Orion. The directions say to remove it to allow you to program it and then it shows a couple options for wiring it to the positive or negative wires. Taken from section 4.4 of the manual- "Remote on-off
A remote on/off switch or relay contact can be connected to a two-pole connector.
Alternatively, the H terminal (right) of the two-pole connector can be switched to battery
plus, or the L terminal (left) of the two pole connector can be switched to battery minus (or
the chassis of a vehicle, for example)"
Old 04-13-2022, 06:43 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
No, to the left of the (3) wire terminals there is a green jumper cable that came with the Victron Orion. The directions say to remove it to allow you to program it and then it shows a couple options for wiring it to the positive or negative wires. Taken from section 4.4 of the manual- "Remote on-off
A remote on/off switch or relay contact can be connected to a two-pole connector.
Alternatively, the H terminal (right) of the two-pole connector can be switched to battery
plus, or the L terminal (left) of the two pole connector can be switched to battery minus (or
the chassis of a vehicle, for example)"
Sorry can’t help with that, above my knowledge base. Looked at the manual online and it appears to be written by an EE. Yes you need it disconnected to “program” the unit and then there appears to be multiple variations to the units install adding additional products or not.
Old 04-13-2022, 07:45 AM   #14
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
I know it's late in the game, but next time why not go with a simpler, less expensive, Victron Cyrix vs. an Orion? Our lithium / solar / inverter upgrade contractor with at least a decade of experience with Airstream van upgrades went that way, saying he felt it was a better solution for charging coach batteries while driving, vs. the Orion.

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...tery-combiners

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2022, 05:04 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Anywhere USA , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
I know it's late in the game, but next time why not go with a simpler, less expensive, Victron Cyrix vs. an Orion? Our lithium / solar / inverter upgrade contractor with at least a decade of experience with Airstream van upgrades went that way, saying he felt it was a better solution for charging coach batteries while driving, vs. the Orion.

https://www.victronenergy.com/batter...tery-combiners
Sorry to take this thread a little sideways but here goes.

Hi Rocinante - have you ever watched your amps into your lithiums while driving? What have you seen? I am wondering if the Cyrix will allow all 220A from the alternator until the batteries are full. If that is the case and your batteries get down to a 10% charge, that could be a lot of work for the alternator depending on how many AH you have. How long have you been running the Cyrix and how low do your batteries get?
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 11:50 AM   #16
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
Sorry to take this thread a little sideways but here goes.

Hi Rocinante - have you ever watched your amps into your lithiums while driving? What have you seen? I am wondering if the Cyrix will allow all 220A from the alternator until the batteries are full. If that is the case and your batteries get down to a 10% charge, that could be a lot of work for the alternator depending on how many AH you have. How long have you been running the Cyrix and how low do your batteries get?
Haven't tracked this in detail, as our contractor assured us they put in the right sized Cyrix for our alternator. I'll have to look harder at this next time we're driving and charging. We had the batteries pretty low once in MI on the UP when we ran our AC off batteries until they were around 30%. When we got to our destination later that day they were back up to full charge, without any issues. Oh, and we have a pair of 200Ah lithium batteries.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 10:16 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Another positive review (actually many!) for the Victron Cyrix lithium battery combiner. I replace the on-board BIM with the Cyrix and have had excellent results with them. First, I remove the BIM and tape all of the 4 small cables going into it.

Then, I connect the 1/0 cable from your start battery to the Cyrix, along with the little fuse that is attached to it on the BIM. Then a 1/0 or 2/0 cable (depending on length) from the Cyrix directly to the new lithium house batteries.

Please note that a Cyrix unit is a 2-way device...meaning that it will not only charge the lithium cells from the alternator, but will also reverse the process and charge your starting battery from the lithium cells when full.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 12:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
What does the two wire control cable of the Cyrix get connected to? You say to tape the 4 small wires. What do they do on the Precisions Circuits BIM that are not needed with the Cyrix? The PC BIM may not be the best, but mine still works - what is better about the Cyrix? ( I still have 2 Group 24 Lifeline AGM's, not lithium.)
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2022, 07:13 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
The red wire goes to a positive terminal (with a 5 amp fuse added) and the black goes to the negative. A specific Cyrix is made just for AGM batteries. I would not use the lithium model unless you have lithium batteries installed.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 12:35 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sea ranch lakes , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Another positive review (actually many!) for the Victron Cyrix lithium battery combiner. I replace the on-board BIM with the Cyrix and have had excellent results with them. First, I remove the BIM and tape all of the 4 small cables going into it.

Then, I connect the 1/0 cable from your start battery to the Cyrix, along with the little fuse that is attached to it on the BIM. Then a 1/0 or 2/0 cable (depending on length) from the Cyrix directly to the new lithium house batteries.

Please note that a Cyrix unit is a 2-way device...meaning that it will not only charge the lithium cells from the alternator, but will also reverse the process and charge your starting battery from the lithium cells when full.
I am planning a Victron Cyrix install on stock Batts. I get where start and house batts go what about Gen wire. Does it get cap or connected, if so where? my guess is that Cyrix can tell if Gen is on and disconnects batts if engine is on.
Dirkpitt is offline   Reply With Quote